VanSant Airport - Sport Aviation Closing?!?

buzzard86

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim R
Duplicating my post from the Red Board. I know there are lots of Philly area pilots here who may have info. I learned this morning that Sport Aviation at Van Sant is going out of business next week. Apparently the future of their aircraft and flight training is still up in the air.

I'd been wanting to get my tailwheel endorsement and log some time in their J3, and just added it to my short flying to-do list.

Anybody know what the future holds for rental and instruction at Van Sant?

Jim

Wow, certainly hope not. Best way to find out is to give them a call.

I did. That's how I found out that they were going out of business. They wouldn't schedule anything beyond 10/25. They were very tight lipped about the future plans... was hoping to see if there was at least rumor about what might transpire.

Just to clarify...is the airport remaining open? Van Sant is a fun airport to fly in and often in the summertime, you can fly in and they'll have a bbq going and burgers on the grill

Just to clarify...is the airport remaining open? Van Sant is a fun airport to fly in and often in the summertime, you can fly in and they'll have a bbq going and burgers on the grill

Yeah, Shane, my understanding is that the airport is owned/run by the Bucks County Airport Authority and is not affected.

Sport Aviation Inc. is the entity that is going out of business. They offered some niche training including tailwheel, biplane and aerobatic instruction. Their rental line has some nice, unique planes including a J3 Cub, Tiger Moth, Great Lakes 2T1A, Super Decathalon and a Stearman. When I called today about tailwheel training they indicated that the business has been sold but no agreement was in place yet regarding the flight line aircraft.

Their official comment was to call back after November 1.

Thats sad to hear. I hope they can stay open. The type of aircraft they train in can't be found to many places around here.

Thats sad to hear. I hope they can stay open. The type of aircraft they train in can't be found to many places around here.

Agree. I was looking forward to flying with them.

There's a recent comment on Van Sant's Airnav page that alludes to the FBO owner's imminent retirement. Hopefully this was dictated by choice and not economics, and the new owners will pick up and keep things going.

I haven't spent much time there but it sure looked like a cool field. Couple of photos here on my blog:

http://thepathologicalflyer.blogspot.com/

Jim

I'm sorry to hear about this. VanSant is a really nice field that harkens back to the golden days of aviation. I've driven in there several times to look at their collection of golden oldies. Unfortunately, flying in there is out of the question for me. At the moment I fly a borrowed Piper Tomahawk which has very little ground clearance on the prop. (beggars can't be choosers) I flew it in there once last July after returning from Grimes. No problem with Grimes smooth runway, but at Van Sant I came as close as I'd care to come to a prop strike. Grass stains on the prop convinced me that VanSant's runway is too rough for that plane. Hopefully Van Sant will still be alive and well when I get my Challenger II finished in a year or two.

...and hi to all of you here at Pilots Of America. I'm new to the group. This is only my second day here.

Sport Aviation @ Van Sant Airport

Stopped by Van Sant today to get on the schedule for some tail-wheel and acro flying. Was informed that Sport Aviation is closing at the end of the month :frown3: :frown3: :frown3:. It is tragic to lose this aviation gem. The lady there didn't have much information on the new FBO or what services they would offer.

Does anyone know if the new FBO is going to offer the same, tail-wheel, biplane, glider and acro training and rentals?

Re: Sport Aviation @ Van Sant Airport

Where, i couldn't find the thread.

Does this mean no more Stearman? No more Tiger Moth? NEVER put off something you can do today. I kept saying I'd go there to get tailwheel/Stearman training and didn't Now, maybe I never will. :frown2:

Re: Sport Aviation @ Van Sant Airport

Does this mean no more Stearman? No more Tiger Moth? NEVER put off something you can do today. I kept saying I'd go there to get tailwheel/Stearman training and didn't Now, maybe I never will. :frown2:

I'm feeling the same remorse. Hopefully there will be enough of a market for the new owners to maintain the same operations. As I mentioned earlier, I saw a comment on AirNav that referenced the owner's retirement. I HOPING that this sale was dictated by desire and not economic short falls.

Time will tell. Please update this thread if you happen to hear anything new.

Jim

Hi

I am fortunate to have my J3 cub based at VanSant and I can happily report that Azhar the owner of Sport Aviation is is simply retiring. On Saturday 31st there will be a 30+ plane formation flyover at 1PM to celebrate his retirement and his party Sunday.

The whole operation is being taken over by George the owner of the repair shop who is very capable. A new FBO manager has been found (he was the line boy at Sky Manor many years ago) and will be starting November 1st. It looks like the rental line up will not change and may actually be expanded.

Not sure if you are aware but the runway was extensively excavated and levelled last winter and continues to ne rolled. It is now very friendly to any type of prop aircraft not just tail draggers.

Hope to see you on the grass!

David Turner :)

Hey Lee,... sounds like after the ground dries up good we should take 09L over there and then go for a glider/J3/biplane (one, not all three) flight for our 100/1000 hr marks! :D Just an idea,....

The whole operation is being taken over by George the owner of the repair shop who is very capable. A new FBO manager has been found (he was the line boy at Sky Manor many years ago) and will be starting November 1st. It looks like the rental line up will not change and may actually be expanded.

Sweet! That's GREAT news! :goofy:

Hi

I am fortunate to have my J3 cub based at VanSant and I can happily report that Azhar the owner of Sport Aviation is is simply retiring. On Saturday 31st there will be a 30+ plane formation flyover at 1PM to celebrate his retirement and his party Sunday.

Not sure if you are aware but the runway was extensively excavated and levelled last winter and continues to ne rolled. It is now very friendly to any type of prop aircraft not just tail draggers.

Hope to see you on the grass!

David Turner :)
Welcome to POA.

Hey Lee,... sounds like after the ground dries up good we should take 09L over there and then go for a glider/J3/biplane (one, not all three) flight for our 100/1000 hr marks! :D Just an idea,....

Rob,

I'm thinking I wouldn't mind some of that grass action. 360 hours and no turf landings......no more club restrictions!!

Rob,

I'm thinking I wouldn't mind some of that grass action. 360 hours and no turf landings......no more club restrictions!!

We'll have to organize a flight sometime. Grass is nice to land on and isn't difficult at all. I was fortunate my instructor had me land a few times and do engine outs to a grass field during training.

Landing on grass is not a big deal. It's one of those things the FAA has its head up its tail about - oh, the scary GRASS FIELD LANDING!!! Beware!!! Beware!!!!! What a crock.

Just as stupid as its insistence on pilots knowing how many satellites make up the GPS constellation.

I love grass strips, but they can be a big deal. I have see first hand the demise of two good airplanes that were flown by two "flatlander" pilots with little grass experience. As with all aspect of flying it is about knowing the dangers and managing the risk. Know the conditions. Is it soft and wet? How long is the grass? Did bored kids rut it up with their cars the night before? Are the approaches clear? Brush up on short and soft field techniques. Sparky's "Mountain Flying" is worth a read.

It is great news that VanSant will offer the same services. I flew in last week and the strip is in nice shape. It will only get better as the new grass grows in.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jay Hahola and I will be the new FBO operator at Vansant airport starting November 1st, 2009. I will be moving there as the current operator is retiring after 30+ years of dedicated and very faithful service to the aviation community.

I currently own and operate Somerset Soaring Ventures, LLC (www.somersetsoaring.com) at Somerset Airport (KSMQ) in Bedminster, New Jersey.

I will be opening a new FBO, aptly named Vintage Aero Sports, LLC at the airport and will be providing Power and Sailplane flight instruction, rides and rentals. I also intend to continue to promote the airport within the community, and will look forward to seeing you at the barbecues and fly-in events that we intend to have in the upcoming seasons.

We will still have a Piper Cub and a Stearman available for rides and instruction at the field and will be expanding our fleet in the spring of 2010 if not sooner.

We are currently looking for competent CFI's to add to our staff as well so if you are aware of any, please have them stop by to see me, email me at (hahola@enter.net) or call 610-847-8444 after the Nov. 1st to arrange an interview.

I have been in and around aviation for 28+ years and was a tow pilot out of Vansant back in the late 80's early 90's when the Smela's ran the operation there. I have always been in love with the airport and am very happy to be able to return to it as my new home base, a dream that I have always held, that now has turned itself into reality.

It is my intention to keep grass roots aviation alive and well in the USA and continue to foster the dying art of tailwheel flying and instruction.
I intend to accomplish that mission by having a fleet of eclectic vintage tube and fabric aircraft available for rental and instruction.

We will be expanding our operations in the coming year and hope to make new friends in aviation along the way.

Thank you in advance for your support,
Jay Hahola
Vintage Aero Sports, LLC
610-847-8444

Hey Jay, First Welcome to POA, we like to think of it as the front porch of aviation. We're happy to hear that VanSant will fortunate to have you continuing the Aviation business on the field. We wish you the very best of luck with the venture. I myself fly out of Wings and we have lots of folks flyin out of the Southeastern PA and central NJ area so perhaps we'll have to pay you a visit for some soaring or a ride in one of the vintage planes.

Hope to see you on the board.

Landing on grass is not a big deal. It's one of those things the FAA has its head up its tail about

Uhh... They do? I've never heard anything bad about grass from the FAA - It all comes from insurance companies and (crappy) FBO's.

Hi Jay! Great to hear that you are taking over. I'm especially happy to hear that the runway has been improved! Guess I'll have to fly in there again in
the spring and try out your new grass! Speaking of grass runways, despite flying a plane that isn't really at it's best on grass, I've landed at quite a number of grass fields. And I love places like VanSant, Grimes, Cooperstown NY and others. They all seem to be the friendliest places where a bit of the old days of aviation still exists.
Besides my one visit to VanSant, the only other one that left a lasting impression was Farmer's Pride a couple of years ago. I must have just picked the wrong day to land there. The grass hadn't been mowed in quite a while. With only myself and half fuel in the Tomahawk (with it's small wheels) in that long grass, it took F-O-R-E-V-E-R to get off the ground. Luckily they have a long runway there! LOL!!!! Lessons you don't forget! LOL!!!

Jay,

Welcome to POA. Thanks for taking over the operations at VanSant and keeping it viable. That place is a local aviation treasure.

Jay, welcome to PoA. :)

I flew around part of the country landing on mostly grass strips a few years ago, and VanSant was one of my favorites. The people at VanSant were fantastic and it was a thrill to land there and spend a little time. I hope to make it back out there someday.

It is my intention to keep grass roots aviation alive and well in the USA and continue to foster the dying art of tailwheel flying and instruction. I intend to accomplish that mission by having a fleet of eclectic vintage tube and fabric aircraft available for rental and instruction.

Thank you for your efforts to keep grass roots aviation alive, and good luck with your new endeavor. :)

I had no idea that Azher was retiring. I haven't been there in a couple of years. He's an excellent pilot and a real gentleman. I got my license at Van Sant with Azher in 1992 when the Smela's were still running it. When I owned my citabria, Azher did my check out and I took it there for the annuals. I just flew by on Sunday and saw a Chipmunk in the pattern and heard him announcing his positions. I was wondering if Azher was instructing. I guess not. Van Sant is a unique place. I've flown a 150 (needed the radio for the exam), J3 cub, chipmunk (not a rental), tigermoth, stearman and great lakes with Azher. I was only checked in the 150, J3 and the chipmunk.

Jay - good luck. I hope it's all you want it to be and more. I'll try to stop by some time. We may have met many years ago when you used to work there.

I was at Van Sant just this last Sunday, and as usual, it was a great place to be on a nice day. Like a fly-in that just sort of happens... this is typical weekend stuff there, and I think it will continue to be that way.

Fantastic aircraft of all types (including a very well-decorated Bird Dog, cough), spectators lined up along the driveway and the flight line fence... no attitudes, no stupid pilot tricks...and all on grass. :D The way it ought to be.

The office just got repainted, the chairs and picnic tables are still there, and it looks like Jay and the staff are working hard to keep Van Sant a premier fun-flying destination. Kudos for keeping the spirit of this beautiful airport alive!

Some pics (and more to come on my Vimeo page, eventually):

Attachments

• rot11080902015.JPG
    rot11080902015.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 7
  • rot11080903014.JPG
    rot11080903014.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 10
  • rot11080904013.JPG
    rot11080904013.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 10
  • rot1108090501.JPG