Value of old avionics

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Is there a market for "older" used avionics? I'm not talking about used 430s or STEC 20s or even KX 155s but things that work but are clearly not current technology. For example an Apollo/ Garmin GX60 or GX55 or a Garmin 155 or even a Narco AT150. They work and can even be IFR certified and some approach capable, but they are discontinued.

So if you were to buy a new wizbang GPS such as the Avidyne IFD 440 or the Garmin GTX650 to replace say a Garmin 155 or GX60, would anyone give you any money for the old units? Would they have any value to be shipped to a thirdworld country? Or to be canablized by some avionics shop?

There's a market check eBay for current prices, even old KX170bs have a surprisingly high market value. Those Apollo GPSes go for a grand or so, at150 a few hundred bucks working kx170b is 500 or so.

When I put the KLN94 in the Aztec about 4 years ago it left me with a Garmin 155XL. I sold it on eBay for some amount under $1,000, and sold the MAC 1700 spare radio I had on here about a month agofor a fair price that I was happy with and I believe the buyer was, too.

There is a small market, mostly amongst people who have old avionics and would prefer to keep their plane flying cheaper by replacing them than spend the money for a 430 upgrade. Sale value won't be huge, but does account for something.

Yeah I didn't think it would be huge but I was wondering if they had any at all, the Loran's of course I suspect could even be sold for what ever metals may be in their circuit boards or $4.00 for a door stop. I'll have to check Ebay to see if any one but Canadians are buying ADFs :wink2:

I have often thought about putting some old boxes in the Cherokee. For awhile I thought about just putting in a 430, but am less interested now that Garmin doesn't support them.

Might yet.

Do you have a a GX60?

I think the biggest value would be to a guy like me who has one and knows you can't get parts any more

I have often thought about putting some old boxes in the Cherokee. For awhile I thought about just putting in a 430, but am less interested now that Garmin doesn't support them.

Might yet.

I believe the only 430 for which support has been suspended is the 28-volt only model.

I got $150 for my ADF on eBay from some guy in Germany that wanted a replacement for a bad unit. I was not even sure if mine worked, just was told by the prior owner of my Arrow that it worked.

Any working GPS that you can get current database updates for still has value.

I just installed last year a garmin 300 IFR gps/com, same vintage as the 155 you mention. It works, the database is supported, and it's legal /G

My panel may look old to you but the only thing I lack is ifr vnav, and I'm not hurting for that. Instead I put my money into the thing just below the transponder, used on almost every flight and well worth it.

Attachments

• panel photo May2012.JPG
    panel photo May2012.JPG
    663.6 KB · Views: 57
I just installed last year a garmin 300 IFR gps/com, same vintage as the 155 you mention. It works, the database is supported, and it's legal /G

My panel may look old to you but the only thing I lack is ifr vnav, and I'm not hurting for that. Instead I put my money into the thing just below the transponder, used on almost every flight and well worth it.

Air conditioning?

It does depend on where you live and what you do. One could argue that 56TC in the other thread is just fine if you only want to use it VFR, especially in the mountains. I think instrument flight in the midwest is easier with the fewest perils and most backups, so I tend to care less about what I have for avionics.

As I get to busier areas and alternately real middle of nowhere IFR, I care more since the avionics are helpful in those conditions. Of course, I've flown into EWR enough times with a Navajo with KLN90B and real junk for radios, so it's not a no-go. Just depends on where you are and what your mission dictates.

Is there a market for "older" used avionics? I'm not talking about used 430s or STEC 20s or even KX 155s but things that work but are clearly not current technology. For example an Apollo/ Garmin GX60 or GX55 or a Garmin 155 or even a Narco AT150. They work and can even be IFR certified and some approach capable, but they are discontinued.

So if you were to buy a new wizbang GPS such as the Avidyne IFD 440 or the Garmin GTX650 to replace say a Garmin 155 or GX60, would anyone give you any money for the old units? Would they have any value to be shipped to a thirdworld country? Or to be canablized by some avionics shop?

Adam, contact Bennett Avionics. They specialize in used avionics and can give you an idea of what the market I like for a particular unit. The buy a lot of used older stuff and sell it to folks looking for slide-in replacements for their broken items when they cost too much to repair and they can't afford to upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

the opposite

Is that a special location for the Janitrol or where they normally put it? Haven't seen one there before, looks like a decent location.

Adam, contact Bennett Avionics. They specialize in used avionics and can give you an idea of what the market I like for a particular unit. The buy a lot of used older stuff and sell it to folks looking for slide-in replacements for their broken items when they cost too much to repair and they can't afford to upgrade.

I often look at Bennett for info on older units but their prices are 2-3 times what you can find them for. Wentworth ain't giving anything away, either. They set a reserve on their avionics auctions on eBay that are, IMO, top dollar or better.

I often look at Bennett for info on older units but their prices are 2-3 times what you can find them for. Wentworth ain't giving anything away, either. They set a reserve on their avionics auctions on eBay that are, IMO, top dollar or better.

True. If you are looking for the best deal to buy, ebay is probably the best place to look. I was just recommending contacting Bennett to find out what the market for a particular unit is.....and who knows, if they are selling high, they might give you a fair or reasonable price to take it off your hands.

the opposite

Ah Janitrol. Does it actually work LOL

Is that a special location for the Janitrol or where they normally put it? Haven't seen one there before, looks like a decent location.

Thats where they put in in a seneca and a Seminole I used to fly or I should say fly right seat in.

True. If you are looking for the best deal to buy, ebay is probably the best place to look. I was just recommending contacting Bennett to find out what the market for a particular unit is.....and who knows, if they are selling high, they might give you a fair or reasonable price to take it off your hands.

Perhaps. For example, Bennett has the 89B for $1695 but completed auctions on eBay for nice units, some with 8130, are in the $500 - $700 range. Unless you can do the installation yourself, I would not recommend an 89B, this was just an example.

nope. C&D. And yes it will roast you. I have never had it on full.

I've heard good things about the C&D replacements. Fortunately our Janitrol still works well.

Back