Valentine's Day Lovebird Flights

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
With the economy in the dumpster, I fully expected our "Lovebird Flights" to go over poorly this year. These flights (the only ones that I know of nationwide, BTW) are part of our "Ultimate Valentine's Day" packages at our aviation theme-suite hotel, the Alexis Park Inn & Suites. We've been doing these since we opened in 2002, and the package includes a night in an aviation themed hot tub suite, champagne, Godiva chocolates, a delivered breakfast, a dozen roses -- and a 30 minute "Lovebird Flight" over Iowa City at sunset, all for just $300 bucks.

Prepared for the worst (our business, like everyone elses, is way down since the meltdown in October), imagine my delight (and surprise) when we broke all sales records and conducted seven Lovebird Flights -- matching our previous best! (Remember, we're very small, with just 30 suites...) We ended up turning some couples away for these packages because we were sold out -- something I NEVER expected this year.

It turns out that -- even in a terrible economy -- love is blind, and the romance of General Aviation isn't gone yet! And they all reported having a great time. (And, of course, I had great fun taking their portraits...)

Best of all (and this is my ulterior motive, as we don't add a nickel to the cost of the flights) I think we may have hooked a couple of them on the idea of taking flight lessons. We're gonna need all the help we can get over the next few years, if we want to keep our FBOs and other support systems viable -- so let's hope some of these lovebirds follow through and get their tickets...

Ah, yes -- young love. See more pix here: http://www.alexisparkinn.com/valentines_day_flights.htm

sValentinesDay09%20008.jpg

:smile:

From the thread titile I had in mind something a bit racier.

Jay first I have to say I'm very happy for you that business went well. Second I have a question. These were " love bird" flights but how many of the guys or gals actually sat in the back seat and gave up the front seat so they could be closer to their partner? The ones that left their partner in the back seat are the ones that are gonna take lessons:rolleyes:

Jay, that's great! I'm really glad that it's going well, especially in this economic climate.

Out of interest, how do you handle the flight? I presume you're not a part 135 operation. Do you need to go through the whole drug testing rigamarole for a sightseeing flight? Required to stay within 25NM and all that?

And Adam's question is hood. How many split between the front and rear seats? And if they didn't, did you offer a blanket and mile-high pins? :rofl:

That's so awesome Jay! What a neat idea! Do you have pictures of the suite too?

That's a good idea!! Glad it worked out well and you were booked for the flights. Obviously the weather cooperated.

Gary

Jay, that's great! I'm really glad that it's going well, especially in this economic climate.

Out of interest, how do you handle the flight? I presume you're not a part 135 operation. Do you need to go through the whole drug testing rigamarole for a sightseeing flight? Required to stay within 25NM and all that?

And Adam's question is hood. How many split between the front and rear seats? And if they didn't, did you offer a blanket and mile-high pins? :rofl:

Mary and I aren't commercial pilots, so we contract with our FBO to do the "Lovebird Flights". They conduct them as instructional flights, I presume.

About half of the "lovebirds" split up, with one of them sitting up front with the pilot. I chuckled when I noted that the hottest chick of the bunch had opted to get 30 minutes of dual, rather than sit in back with her boyfriend...!

I felt sorry for the dude, but optimistic that she'll be taking flight lessons soon...

:goofy:

I'm just glad that the weekend came together for all of them. There is just nothing more fun than happy couples on Valentine's Day weekend!

Mary and I aren't commercial pilots, so we contract with our FBO to do the "Lovebird Flights". They conduct them as instructional flights, I presume.

I hope not. They should be conducted as sightseeing flights which have different rules and restrictions. If the FBO is doing this illegally as a pretend flight instruction and there's a mishap you might get tangled in the ensuing lawsuit. I'm pretty certain that it would be very difficult for the FBO to convince the flight was "instructional" if the two passengers were in the back seats and only the CFI was up front. Of course in the case where one of the two opts for some actual instruction and flies from the left front seat, it would be different.

Last edited:
I hope not. They should be conducted as sightseeing flights which have different rules and restrictions. If the FBO is doing this illegally as a pretend flight instruction and there's a mishap you might get tangled in the ensuing lawsuit. I'm pretty certain that it would be very difficult for the FBO to convince the flight was "instructional" if the two passengers were in the back seats and only the CFI was up front. Of course in the case where one of the two opts for some actual instruction and flies from the left front seat, it would be different.

You've put your finger on exactly why you don't want to dig into this sort of thing too much. It's called "plausible deniability", and I've learned over the years that it's a key provision to running a successful business...

:yikes:

Trust me -- you don't EVER want to dig too deeply into what contracted help is doing. I watched the roofing crew redo the roof on the hotel last fall, and nearly had a heart attack every 15 minutes. Same goes with electricians, plumbers, back-hoe operators, drywallers...

Bottom line: If the contractor is properly licensed and insured, I, as the contractee, must presume that they are following all federal, state, and local laws. Quite frankly, my only fiduciary interest is in seeing that my guest gets what they paid for and are happy with the flight(s). I personally know the pilots conducting the flights and am satisfied with their skill and safety. Beyond that, the details are up to them.

Trust me -- you don't EVER want to dig too deeply into what contracted help is doing. I watched the roofing crew redo the roof on the hotel last fall, and nearly had a heart attack every 15 minutes. Same goes with electricians, plumbers, back-hoe operators, drywallers...

Only if you hire jacklegs...

Trapper John

Back