Va pump best deal ?

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Whats the best deal on van pumps these days?

Tempest ? AA3215CC is the model I need.

It is sunday or I would be asking my parts guy.

Best deal is a flat plate cover for the empty hole.....

$474.54 new, no core.

Just curious Tom; why the high$$$ Tempest when an Airborne 215cc is $125.00 cheaper?
I was assuming you have nothing in there now (no core)?

No dog in the hunt, just being nosey (nosie?, Nosy?...)

Chris

Airborne got out of the vac. pump business quite some time ago. Tempest and Rapco are the two more popular ones.

Tempest pumps are pretty durable, both new and o/h.

Just curious Tom; why the high$$$ Tempest when an Airborne 215cc is $125.00 cheaper?
I was assuming you have nothing in there now (no core)?

No dog in the hunt, just being nosey (nosie?, Nosy?...)

Chris

Those are overhauled, and you must have a core = $150.00 on top of the $125.00. base price.

New pumps do not have a core because the manufacturer does not overhaul.

Last edited:
Airborne got out of the vac. pump business quite some time ago.

You can still buy (Airborne) overhauled, but the overhauler require a core, because you are buying a used pump, and they want your old one to sell to some else.

That is what I bought, the 474 was price plus state tax and shipping.

Expedited shipping?

The Rapco would then be the cheapest to purchase outright without a core. I've heard more opinions from various folks that the Tempest is a better built pump but my RV-6 came equipped with the Rapco on it and it's got 400+ trouble-free hours on it so far. My old Cherokee 140 had an overhauled Airborne from Spruce put on it back in 1998 and the new owner told me it finally failed a few months ago with 15 years and nearly 1200 hours on it. That's about the longest-lasting dry pump I've ever seen.

Last edited:
99$ tax and shipping?

Where the hell do you live?:yikes:

Chris

I live in a place where we support our local parts guy, because he will look up part numbers while we stand on the ramp, and tell him what we need by item and usage, then sent the parts right out, and wait for his check to arrive monthly.
Try that with AS&S, with over night delivery.

buy one off ebay for 100$, buy the oh kit from ASSco - you can't do any better.

I live in a place where we support our local parts guy, because he will look up part numbers while we stand on the ramp, and tell him what we need by item and usage, then sent the parts right out, and wait for his check to arrive monthly.
Try that with AS&S, with over night delivery.

Thats a good reason I guess.

-BUT-

I bet your parts guy doesn't have a nice catalog I can puruse while sitting on the "Throne"! :eek:

Chris

Back