VA Disability

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Because of family issues I am moving up my FAA Medical to tomorrow (27 March). I had not gone over the 8500-8 form to just a little while ago and since note much had changed I had not worried about it. But I see there is a new question on the form in Section 18. That is question y: Medical or Disability benefits.

I do collect a VA medical disability benefit for a service connected injury that I had disclosed on the form. What do I need to write in the explanation area that will make sure this goes smooth tomorrow?

Scott,

As long as the disability is not for a disqualifying condition it should not be a problem. In the explanations section I would put something like:

VA disability benefits for service connected injury(fill in nature of injury) Stable, does not interfer with activities of daily living.(if the injury was previously reported then I would say that also)

(If the disability is for Pysch issues then you are in trouble.:skeptical:)

Barb

Is compulsive posting on internet forums a disqualifying mental condition??? :D:D:D

Scott,

As long as the disability is not for a disqualifying condition it should not be a problem. In the explanations section I would put something like:

VA disability benefits for service connected injury(fill in nature of injury) Stable, does not interfer with activities of daily living.(if the injury was previously reported then I would say that also)

Barb
Thanks

It is previous cervical fractures of C1 and C2, the injury and has been reported since my very first medical.

I guess if I get the new form with this on it I also have to report going to traffic school a few years ago too based on the new driving question. SIGH what a waste of information to collect!

If you have previously reported on your medical the condition.
I would check the box, and in the explinations area enter:
"18(y): Previously Reported"

And leave it at that.
I have one.. "ever been hospitalized"... yes.. like 30 years ago, and for the last 29 yrs I check the box and explain "previously reported".

If you have previously reported on your medical the condition.
I would check the box, and in the explinations area enter:
"18(y): Previously Reported"

And leave it at that.
I have one.. "ever been hospitalized"... yes.. like 30 years ago, and for the last 29 yrs I check the box and explain "previously reported".
I have previously reported the injury but box Y is new this year for having a disability payment.

I wouldn't just write "previously reported" if you haven't previously reported the VA status, but when you do check the block, you can explain that it's for this particular condition which was previously reported, with no change in the condition.

not to side-track the thread (but I think the original question's been answered) but .... WTH does the FAA have to do with Disability Payments? Yeah, I suspect it's yet another cross-reference kind of deal, but seriously, when do we rise up and insist ENOUGH!

not to side-track the thread (but I think the original question's been answered) but .... WTH does the FAA have to do with Disability Payments? Yeah, I suspect it's yet another cross-reference kind of deal, but seriously, when do we rise up and insist ENOUGH!
I believe it arises out of the cases in California where they did just such a cross reference and found a number of pilots receiving disability payments who had NOT disclosed the underlying problem on their medical. In other words, they falsified their medical application, and this is the government's attempt to catch that.

See Falsification of FAA Airman Medical Certificate Applications by Disability Recipients

Is compulsive posting on internet forums a disqualifying mental condition??? :D:D:D
Well, that's one of the big problems with the FAA medical system. You can have a condition like that, but as long as you are in denial and you doctor doesn't catch you, you can keep passing your medical. Of course, once you finally get a diagnosis and treatment, your flying days are over (depending on how you interperet the sport pilot regulations).

Interesting thread. I am confident that they are trying to get people that are "cheating" the system. I had a friend that was 100% disabled and discharged from the military because he had cancer. He still managed to keep his medical (??) and became a civilian CFI & Test pilot for the FAA. Go figure.

Scott,

Barb
Those words did the job. The AME had no issues with what I wrote based on your suggestion.

The only bad news is that with the medical I am officially old. I could not pass the near vision test and got the "Must have available glasses for near vision" limitation. I was so close to passing too!! It was my left eye that did me in.

Stoopid binocular vision!
image.php

Those words did the job. The AME had no issues with what I wrote based on your suggestion.

The only bad news is that with the medical I am officially old. I could not pass the near vision test and got the "Must have available glasses for near vision" limitation. I was so close to passing too!! It was my left eye that did me in.

Stoopid binocular vision!

Try closing one eye then the other.

Scott, if that makes you old, then that makes a number of us old, too... but not me. ;)

So long as they haven't picked up on your psych issues, then you should be fine. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back