V-ref and aircraft sale prices

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
I'm under the impression that most aircraft actually sell for less than V-ref. True? And if so, typically what percentage under?

I got mine for 5% under Vref. But my plane was very well appointed with a new panel and a great engine. The paint was ok but the interior was good. Compared to the myriad of hanger queens I had been looking at this one was priced right for what it offered.

Last edited:
Use the NAAA tool at Trade a Plane or, better yet, get a QuickQuote ($20) from www.aeroprice.com.

Vref is generally high, but just how high really depends on the type of aircraft. It can range from 5-15%, IMO.

I agree with Ken. I've always found V-ref to be more like an insurance replacement cost than a sales price for the planes I've looked at and purchased. TAP is closer, but I still find inconsistencies. There are so many after market options; they just can't all be on there. Also, people keep looking at extra stuff and adding to the price; at some point, all the extra stuff doesn't matter. Market conditions are always changing.

I know some guys that have found these more accurate of some basic planes. When you get into things like A-36 Bonanzas and Barons with lots of extras; these services are just a beginning point.

Best,

Dave

Most FBOs have a book (like Kelly Blue Book) they can use to give you a fairly good estimate. I've a good repoire with mine who is a certified piper dealer. With her help, I got a good price on the Warrior (of course, she was the broker, also).

Back