V.I.P. TFR trumps Compassion Flight

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
You think you have tough workdays. Cassie Bessert, cardiothoracic procurement coordinator at Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood, had a lung transplant patient who was, in layman's terms, about to die. The lungs that would save his life were in Buffalo, trapped by a snowstorm.

She had a surgical team ready to fly and get them, but — in case that wasn't challenge enough — President Bush was about to fly out of Midway, so the airport was shut down as a security precaution.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/steinberg/161347,CST-NWS-stein06.article
Read the column for the conclusion (3rd item.)

wow

our charter pilot got to go in the prez tfr carrying a prisoner when he was in sioux city. course he was IFR but i think he still ahd to do a background check and stuff.

"He said the president and his staff had been notified, and we were clear for departure"

hmmm, we used to hear on these boards that the prez had no say in tfr's - it was his security dictating them.. Does that mean a potential breach of the dam, and that it...might...just...possibly be true that a prez in the future could say "No more irrational travel restrictions on our citizens!"....or at possibly at least a shrinking of the airspace clampdown?

Some compassion flights got permission to fly from the start of this madness.

Some volunteers for Lifeline Pilots flew a container of skin for grafts east to Bethesda on 9/12 when nothing was flying. They were the only non-military plane in the sky. The ATC controllers they talked to were almost lonely.

Last edited:
I don't know about this particular case but the VIP TFRs that I've seen which cover a decent sized areas all have an exception for emergency medical flights. The text looks like this:

!FDC 3/7245 ZDV PART 2 OF 4 FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS DENVER, COLORADO, (KAPA) ARE PROHIBITED EXCEPT FOR: 1. LAW ENFORCEMENT AND MILITARY AIRCRAFT, DIRECTLY SUPPORTING THE UNITED STATES SECRET SERVICE (USSS) AND THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES (POTUS), EMERGENCY MEDICAL FLIGHTS, AND REGULARLY SCHEDULED COMMERCIAL PASSENGER AND CARGO AIRCRAFT THAT MEET OR EXCEED THE TSA'S DOMESTIC SECURITY INTEGRATED PROGRAM STANDARDS AND ARE ARRIVING INTO AND/OR DEPARTING FROM 14 CFR PART 139 AIR- PORTS. 2. FOR OPERATIONS WITHIN THE TFR ALL MEDICAL FLIGHT OPERATION COMPANIES SHALL COORDINATE WITH THE USSS PRIOR TO THIS NOTAM GOING INTO EFFECT TO AVOID POTENTIAL DELAYS.

So all they would have had to do was coordinate with the Secret Service, which it appears like they did. That would be the normal course of events so I'm not sure why this was worthy of a news article... or maybe I am.

"He said the president and his staff had been notified, and we were clear for departure"

hmmm, we used to hear on these boards that the prez had no say in tfr's - it was his security dictating them.. Does that mean a potential breach of the dam, and that it...might...just...possibly be true that a prez in the future could say "No more irrational travel restrictions on our citizens!"....or at possibly at least a shrinking of the airspace clampdown?

Presidents can always decide what they want and do not want in their security detail. The SS (hmmmm, SS=Secret Service but never noticed that till just now ;) ) usually desire even more restrictions than what the TOI will want and they will negotiate with the TOI's office to find a happy middle ground. To answer you question, yes, in the future these things could go away.

First, this was from an Op-Ed writer, not a news source. All the details required to form an informed idea of the event(s) are not present.

Second, As Everskyward noted, the TFR NOTAM always provide an out for those types of flights.

Third, the necessary permissions were given in a timely manner and the patient is doing well.

Where's the news?

First, this was from an Op-Ed writer, not a news source. All the details required to form an informed idea of the event(s) are not present.

Second, As Everskyward noted, the TFR NOTAM always provide an out for those types of flights.

Third, the necessary permissions were given in a timely manner and the patient is doing well.

Where's the news?
As much as I like to throw stones at the Fascists in government, the Old Man is right.
Some of these Op-Ed writers like to create drama where it is does not exist.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Where's the news?
He's a columnist.

The news is that he got a phone call from the lady who told him the news of the story of what happened and he decided that news that was worthy to include in his column.

Did you read more than that?

We also have had a lot of news that it snowed.

As much as I like to throw stones at the Fascists in government, the Old Man is right.
Some of these Op-Ed writers like to create drama where it is does not exist.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Thanks, Bob.

Having done a few Angel Flights, having flown VFR through the outer ring of presidential TFRs, and my common sense tells me this is the probable sequence.

Pilots notified of flight and pickup point.
Pilot(s) make up and file flight plans and are informed of TFR. File anyway and hand potato back to co-ordinator.
Pilot(s) head for airport and pre-flight and call up clearance.
All knots have been untied while they did step 3 and their clearance is approved as filed.

Where's the news?

Medical flights typically mean MEDEVAC flights operated by hospitals or local agencies.

I've done organ transplants and patient transplant for several Angel Flight operations. I wouldn't assume that one of these operations would get cleared by the USSS the way a County EMS chopper might. I'd certainly try making the call, but wouldn't be suprised if they said no - all the angel flight operations don't have a fixed office, many are run out of someone's house, so it would be difficult to confirm the mission. Transplants may be easier because there usually is an organ network involved that can confirm the shipment.

Organ transplants are typically considered LIFEGUARD flights, not COMPASSION or ANGEL flights, because of the perishability of organs. If the organs don't get there in time, someone might die, so it's perfectly appropriate to be a LIFEGUARD flight when transporting organs. I've enjoyed the priority I've gotten with these flights, which once included BWI directing a southwest flight to go around so I could depart sooner.

Last edited:
Back