USMC "America's Marines" commercial

Oh wow, I think I'm going to go join up right now!

Honestly, do any of the branches need to have a commercial just to show off? It's one thing if it's informative, but showing some soldiers doing their thing with their rifle's is pointless. Who already doesn't know about the USMC?

Not that impressive really.

I must admit to a bit of sister-service jealousy. I mean you would think that NO ONE but the damn Marines are fighting in Iraq. So much for all the Army boys over there.....

Honestly, do any of the branches need to have a commercial just to show off? It's one thing if it's informative, but showing some soldiers doing their thing with their rifle's is pointless. Who already doesn't know about the USMC?

17 year old kids.

Well, the "commercial" demonstrates a basic premise the Marines are all about... discipline, teamwork and honor. Do you think coordination and order come naturally for these folks? Not hardly.

My nephew was headed for trouble that started simple, hunting without a license... otherwise known as poaching. Actually, it happen a few times. Suddenly, he left school and joined up. Five years later, he came home more a man than I could ever envision for many in our family. Were it not for his brother dying in an auto accident, he probably would have stayed in. He discharged just a few months prior to the 9/11 attacks.

By the way, this is the final product that would have included footage from San Francisco. But, the city manager didn't want the Marines in their city. How sad is that?

As far as Tom Dager's statement, it may not be impressive to some. Every branch has their unique job. The marines and Army both do a lot of fighting on the ground. I don't think respect is any shorter on one than the other. At least it's not for me. Actually, I'm the wimp who would have been stuck on an aircraft carrier far away from the fighting. Navy Hospital Corpsman, however... many are are on the ground with the Marines.

Finally, Tom's right. Young folks and teenagers get exposed to the war via the news. But, the military including the Marines is more than just a "war machine." Today, there is so much anti-military rhetoric it's more of a struggle to recruit. A stronger economy creates more competition. So, the branches have to go the extra mile to put forth what they are about... how a high school teenager will not just get a job but leave a young boy or young girl... and return home a responsible adult with self-respect, a sense of accomplishment and honor for having served.

By the way, this is the final product that would have included footage from San Francisco. But, the city manager didn't want the Marines in their city. How sad is that?

If that's true it's very, very sad indeed.

I thought the spot was great. Very well done. I would have been proud to have our little town in there somewhere.

[edit]I guess it is true, and it made quite a splash last year in the press. I missed it somehow. I guess I've got to stop listening to Fox News on XM. :) [/edit]

Last edited:
[edit]I guess it is true, and it made quite a splash last year in the press. I missed it somehow. I guess I've got to stop listening to Fox News on XM. :) [/edit]
I didn't always catch Fox on XM but I'm sure it would have been mentioned by either Hume or Smith. I know Hannity discussed it on his radio show as did Boortz.

It became even larger headlines after San Francisco turned down having a decommissioned battleship anchored there to become a museum and tourist attraction.
http://www.sfweekly.com/2007-01-10/news/battleship-down/

As a result, the Navy changed its plans to commission a new ship in San Francisco and move the ceremony to Sand Diego.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/12/02/BAGE2MNTQK1.DTL

I don't want to turn this into Spin Zone material but it does really sadden me that any city management could be so anti-military given what New York endured. Does San Francisco think they are above being attacked? All it takes is increasing their role as a financial center and having the major symbolic structures to show it.

Marines as well as all branches put themselves on the line to protect the entire United States.

BTW...my "not impressive" comment was that I am simply a warrior at heart, and I was expecting more of that in the commercial. Like the Navy's SEAL commercials...hard rock and great action.

The work it went into getting that disciplined is commendable.

BTW...I STILL think my Marine brothers look like bellhops! :p

As a (former, once a Marine always a Marine) Jar Head I am biased. But think it is a pretty cool commercial.

Remember those guys do nothing but that. They practice EVERY DAY!
When other marines are doing their "stuff" they are doing there's which is practicing or giving demonstrations.
You have to be GOOD/"squared away" to get onto the Silent Drill team. Meaning your CO has to approve it, you audition etc.., it is quite an accomplishment for a Marine.
In todays world, we owe EVERY active duty service person a handshake and a THANK YOU. Remember we are still an ALL volunteer military.

Mark B.

Last edited:
Lisa, thanks for the link. Thanks to all who who have served, are serving and will serve this Nation in the future.

I am not anti-military at all, however I don't care for the commercial. I enjoyed watching the drill team perform, I certainly appreciate the hard work that goes into it. However, I would think a better commercial and recruiting tool would be one detailing certain duties in the branch. The USAF commercials for example, they show someone talking about their job, rather than showing off their awesomeness.

And kenny, you seem familiar. Wasn't I the PITA that bought that telex 150 from over a year ago and wasn't happy when you didn't actually have it in stock? Small world. :hairraise:

I am not anti-military at all, however I don't care for the commercial. I enjoyed watching the drill team perform, I certainly appreciate the hard work that goes into it. However, I would think a better commercial and recruiting tool would be one detailing certain duties in the branch. The USAF commercials for example, they show someone talking about their job, rather than showing off their awesomeness.

And kenny, you seem familiar. Wasn't I the PITA that bought that telex 150 from over a year ago and wasn't happy when you didn't actually have it in stock? Small world. :hairraise:

Each branch of the services have their strong points and their weak points.
They make their commercials to make the most effective use of those strong points.
For the AF, IMHO it is the training and different high tech jobs you can get.
For the USMC, it is about something different. This commercial shows what training and personal discipline can accomplish with the excellence shown by the Silent Drill Team. EVERY Marine is a rifleman when it gets down to the "nitty gritty", "first to fight" isn't just a motto.
That is what it shows to ME at least.
As I said I am just SLIGHTLY biased though.

Mark B

And Kenny, you seem familiar. Wasn't I the PITA that bought that telex 150 from over a year ago and wasn't happy when you didn't actually have it in stock? Small world. :hairraise:
It would seem so. I was more into selling the Lightspeed then I was no longer able to get those. I had two different Telex models on hand. Both had sold sooner than expected when you decided to buy. Due to an avionics shop selling dirt cheap, literally less than cost, I got out of it entirely. I went into it selling just handheld radios and barely broke even when all was said and done.

It seems like I had done something to make up for it but honestly cannot recall what. We're talking about the September of 2005. In fact, I just looked up the paperwork from it. When the the one I had was bought locally, I ordered another to be shipped direct but Edmo was out of stock on it and was putting me off. I had it changed to a second-day air shipment. You were charged $307 and change. I paid $299.74.

If I recall, it was being purchased for your son who was starting flight training. I had offered to help with any training publications he might need. They were to be at cost plus exact shipping expense to make up for the delay. Though I'm more involved in flight training to complete my CFI right now, that offer still stands.

However, I didn't consider you a PITA. You dropped emails often with inquiring questions but that's only to be expected. I was doing the same with Edmo. I'm sorry it took so long to resolve.

As for the Marine commercial, I believe its purpose was to put across they employ a discipline not as well established in the other branches. Having been in the Navy and watched the Marines on my base and on my ship, I'd have to say that's quite true. By my own observations, the Air Force is quite a bit more relaxed. The Army and Navy less so. The Marines truly have the tightest and most strict standards of all the branches. One who makes it through boot camp makes quite a mark by that alone. One who continues through four years with excellent fitness reports is more often than not one who will be quite successful in civilian life.

I used to make jokes along with others on how well they kept the decks and brass shined in officer country. But, when it came to security around the nukes we loaded or other secure areas, we definitely had an appreciation for them being there.

Edit: I just realized this is the son making the post I'm replying to. I was dealing with the mom at the time, Melissa. I'm sorry about that!

Last edited by a moderator:
The commercial does what all good sales material does, plays to emotions. If you're proud of your country, if you want to be lean and disciplined, if you want people to respect you, then join the Marines. It does a great job. I think it's great marketing material and I'm proud of all of our service personnel just watching it. So I rate it a success.

I like it a hell of a lot better than the "Citizen Soldiers" National Guard commercial with 3 Doors Down playing at local the cinema these days!!! That is a bad commercial IMHO.

I would think that if any branch of the military is having trouble recruiting, it might be due to a little shooting war in which we're engaged. A lot of people might think twice before signing up to get shot at in an unneeded and useless war.

I must just not get it, what's so impressive? The JROTC kids in high school did the same thing all day long (spinning rifles). I love the military, but this commercial wouldnt' convince me or anyone I know to join (except that one dude that likes dancing...I bet he'd love spinning a rifle for show...)

Yikes.

I would think that if any branch of the military is having trouble recruiting, it might be due to a little shooting war in which we're engaged. A lot of people might think twice before signing up to get shot at in an unneeded and useless war.

Do not be so sure...re-enlistment rates are way up and the only thing that held me back from going back in was my wife, period. I have done one shooting war and would have done this one too.

I, for one, do not find it useless or unneeded. :dunno:

"Marines, We'll give you a gatt, all the ammo you want, and pay you to waste mutha f----s". That would be an effective ad....

Yet the military keeps hitting their recruitment goals. I guess the young men and women future warriors for this country don't think the current war is unneeded and useless, despite hearing it over and over and over.

Admit it... you just were not "squared away" material. That's why the Army uses fitted sheets. :D
My father would bounce a quarter of our bunks, er, beds...or else. Tell me if that's not squared away. So I know exactly what you mean with that "fitted sheets" comment. It's a hoot.

Back