Using the Garmin 396

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
I was able to give the 396 a real workout on the trip to Mexico and back up to Wisconsin. It was very reassuring to be able to launch out over the Gulf and see Nexrad radar, cloud formations and tops, winds aloft, METARs etc. on this trip.

While weather wasn't significant during the trip except on the way back to Texas yesterday, just knowing what was going on was wonderful. Now, if we can only get cockpit text messages and some manner in which to reasonably communicate with folks on the ground while enroute!!

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
I was able to give the 396 a real workout on the trip to Mexico and back up to Wisconsin. It was very reassuring to be able to launch out over the Gulf and see Nexrad radar, cloud formations and tops, winds aloft, METARs etc. on this trip.

While weather wasn't significant during the trip except on the way back to Texas yesterday, just knowing what was going on was wonderful. Now, if we can only get cockpit text messages and some manner in which to reasonably communicate with folks on the ground while enroute!!

Dave

How well did it work south of the border? Any loss in signal? I was kind of curious how far out there beam goes. Anyone used it in the Bahamas?

Rob:
I wasn't focused on this with everything else that was going on, but never noticed where coverage was lost.

Dave

I'll leave them an e-mail and ask about coverage area. Like I said, I never saw where it didn't work on that last trip, but I wasn't focused on that.

Dave

Back