Using a riding mower to move plane

flykelley

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
flykelley
Hi Gang
Boss just bought a Piper Lance, has anyone ever used a riding mower as a tug? I have one that isn't being used and thought I could weld a hitch on the front and use that to move the plane in and out of the hanger. I know it sounds crazy but I think it would be pretty simple.

Mike

How big a riding mower? A Lance is a pretty big airplane. I had a John Deere 455 that I used for the 195 and I wouldn't want anything smaller.

Local shop uses one all the time. Just an 18 horse with rear wheel weights. Works just fine for the singles and light twins they work on.

hydrostatic drive works best. Zero turn radius mower is great. Be sure that you watch the turn limits on your nose wheel. You can't feel it when you hit the stop when using a tug.

Yes, common to use mowers as a tug. Post a pic when finished

Hi Gang
Boss just bought a Piper Lance, has anyone ever used a riding mower as a tug? I have one that isn't being used and thought I could weld a hitch on the front and use that to move the plane in and out of the hanger. I know it sounds crazy but I think it would be pretty simple.

Mike
My parents used one to move their 182 in and out of the hangar. Theirs had a "progressive" drive (a mechanical version of a hydrostatic transmission) and you should get one with that or better yet a hydrostatic drive. Anything else makes it tough to start moving smoothly.

When pushing the aircraft from the front of the tractor, your biggest problem will be the tractor will push out sideways because the front of the tractor is not heavy enough. but on hard surfaces it isn't much of a problem.

pushing from the rear is knowing how.

My Zero turn was an easy do because the front wheels caster and have no steering anyway. the push is all from behind.

Also keep an eye on any limits on turn radius or angles... People with manual tow-bars rarely break things, but engines give enough power to create expensive repairs. :)

My sister in law used to work for the NTSB. Her boss had a Bell 47 and I got an hour with her in it. What a great flight! Anyway, she used a lawnmower to tow the trailer that she set the helicopter on. Wasn't a very big mower either. Worked like a charm.

In mexico they use pickup trucks to tow airplanes around the ramp.

I saw a guy do it on Saturday, right here in Lincoln, CA. He pulled his twin (maybe an Aztec) to the gas pump and then back to the hangar with a pickup.

I helped a neighbor get setup to do this. We had to bypass a seat safety switch that would stop the motor if no weight was on the seat. Made hookups a pain. I would rather use a golf cart, unless you also have some mowing to do.

I saw a guy do it on Saturday, right here in Lincoln, CA. He pulled his twin (maybe an Aztec) to the gas pump and then back to the hangar with a pickup.

I saw a guy do it one Saturday at BJC. The aircraft was a MiG 19...he usually taxied back to his hangar but this time he didn't. Dunno what broke...

CAP at KAPA has a towbar that'll go on a vehicle to move the T182T aircraft to an AC power plug so they can train on the G1000 with a ground power unit.

I have taxied behind that mig when i used to fly out of bjc. Pretty nice.

There used to be a MiG-17 based at KAPA when I was there. It may still be there. I saw it the same day I saw the two place Spitifire the guy used to keep at Aspen.

The nice thing about using a riding mower to move a plane is that you can cut the lawn at the same time! :D

No, no, no, your supposed to spend many thousands of dollars on a proper aviation tug. We must do all we can to contribute to the aviation industry. :mad2:

John :D

There used to be a MiG-17 based at KAPA when I was there. It may still be there. I saw it the same day I saw the two place Spitifire the guy used to keep at Aspen.

The nice thing about using a riding mower to move a plane is that you can cut the lawn at the same time! :D

Theres a P51 based on taylor, texas. I have heard there's a mitsubishi zero based out of san marcos. Would be cool seeing them dog fight.

Theres a P51 based on taylor, texas. I have heard there's a mitsubishi zero based out of san marcos. Would be cool seeing them dog fight.

Yes it would. However, I know how that one would turn out. :)

Our tug is just a modded old wheel horse.

Now tiffin is using JD tractors and calling it an "airhorse"

My first and only time as PIC of a riding mower (OK so they called it a tractor) was at the POA 6Y9 fly-in. Learning how to shift that thing and stop it was left up to me so you can imagine the adventure when I was told I had to drive it home across several dirt roads and one highway. That thing was strong, it could tow a plane. I followed the other pilots, who were in a pick up truck, and they said I was too slow but darn it I was going as fast as I could.

It isn't a real mitsubishi zero based out of San Marcos, it's a T6 with some mods to look like one though. I actually saw it fly today when I went out there.

Back