Useful ride

signu127

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Sig-Nu
Last week a friend of mine rented a plane for a couple hours and did a x country from KHUM to KLFT and back. He called and asked if I wanted to take the ride with him, so I went. I had time to do my own flight plan and write down everything I thought I needed. Riding along in the right seat proved to be very useful. I done a couple of X countries already with my cfi but just being able to ride shotgun with no responsibilities really allowed me time to look at the charts and listen to him go back and forth with ATC. I spoke with two other student pilots and neither of them had been just a passenger before. I am just posting this as a idea for the other students here. I feel it helped me to just ride along.

thanks!

sounds like fun and that it would be helpful to you.

This is actually a good idea. If it wasn't for a lack of flying friends around here, I would be all for this!

I did this when I was a student pilot. I had already soloed and done a dual X-C at the time. A coworker who had his PPL for 10 years took me up. He let me do some of the radio work. I followed along on a sectional the whole flight. It was nice to be able to take it all in without being busy flying the plane.

PROTIP: hang out at the airport.
:yeahthat: I've bummed lots of rides (sometimes even with an instructor). The best part about being a passenger is I can stare at the scenery and I don't have to worry about flying the plane. :)

My instructor used to take me on corporate trips when he had room. What a great learning experience. Going from Left seat in a 150 to right seat in a King Air sure is inspiring.

My instructor used to take me on corporate trips when he had room. What a great learning experience. Going from Left seat in a 150 to right seat in a King Air sure is inspiring.

I have to "one-up" you here...I went from the left seat in a 172 to the right seat in a Citation 550. :D

My brother and I did something similar when we got our seaplane ratings. We even got a "buddy discount" for signing up together. It was almost like having twice the training exposure because I could watch my bro go through all the same exercises from the back seat and we were able to videotape a lot of it as well.

Another benefit is if you happen to be training in a 172 they are much easier to land with someone sitting in the back seat.

Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to get a right seat in the King Air or Citation, must've been awesome!

Signu, I fly out of KHUM too, are you training with Mr. Charlie?

Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to get a right seat in the King Air or Citation, must've been awesome!

Signu, I fly out of KHUM too, are you training with Mr. Charlie?

Yes, I sure do

Back