Used car info sites?

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Here I go, spending money again...

I'm looking for a newer used car. Currently, I'm driving a 1990 Accord EX. I know my Hondas pretty well in terms of what the various models are equipped with in different model years, differences between DX/LX/LXi/EX models, etc.

However, I'm interested in Volvo, Lexus, Toyota, etc. and I don't know much at all about them. Is there some kind of site where I can see what features various cars have, what's different about different model years, etc?

Is anyone on here selling their car? :D

Thanks,

lesse, I could offer up a '95 Saturn SL2, a 95 Jeep Wrangler (oops, son just yelled "Foul" on the Jeep) or a '97 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 ... I'm getting a combination of wife trying to shame me into buying a new(er) truck and me getting really, really tired of working on broke stuff (I felt your pain, Dave T. when you were commenting on broken stuff) ... I've started calling our house "Brokedick Ranch"!
Try http://www.msn.com and click on Autos for some comparisons

flyingcheesehead said:
However, I'm interested in Volvo, Lexus, Toyota, etc.

Good suggestions here, also look at the dealers for certified pre-owned cars with warranty. (especially for European cars)

I'd pretty much be OK with buying a used Japanese car w/o warranty, but would definately want some kind of warranty on a used Euro car, unless the price was obviously a steal.

My experience with European cars shows almost bi-polar results. If you get a good one, they seem to be very good indeed. If you get a bad one, it will not get better, and will bleed you dry pretty quickly.

well Kent, i have a buddy that specializes in Audi.If your interested here is his website Dave G.
www.audibmw.com

P,S. they just got Lexus 300 SUV
Kent if you call ask for Tim

flyingcheesehead said:
Here I go, spending money again...

I'm looking for a newer used car. Currently, I'm driving a 1990 Accord EX. I know my Hondas pretty well in terms of what the various models are equipped with in different model years, differences between DX/LX/LXi/EX models, etc.

However, I'm interested in Volvo, Lexus, Toyota, etc. and I don't know much at all about them. Is there some kind of site where I can see what features various cars have, what's different about different model years, etc?

Is anyone on here selling their car? :D

Thanks,

If you are looking for maximum reliability at minimum hassle and expense, just stick with the Hondas, they really are hard to beat and hard to kill.

Henning said:
If you are looking for maximum reliability at minimum hassle and expense, just stick with the Hondas, they really are hard to beat and hard to kill.

That they are. Mine just won't quit... However, I need a car I wouldn't be embarrassed to take on a date. :D

flyingcheesehead said:
That they are. Mine just won't quit... However, I need a car I wouldn't be embarrassed to take on a date. :D

Easy one, and Honda has it, the S-2000. I really like em, down here, they rated as the highest customer satisfaction vehicle period.

Henning said:
Easy one, and Honda has it, the S-2000. I really like em, down here, they rated as the highest customer satisfaction vehicle period.

I didn't mean I wanted a car to GET the date in the first place. :D

Problem with my current car is it's got a bunch wrong with it that would cost more to fix than the car is worth. The big ones WRT dates are the fuel and exhaust leaks. Smells terrible. :vomit:

flyingcheesehead said:
I didn't mean I wanted a car to GET the date in the first place. :D

Problem with my current car is it's got a bunch wrong with it that would cost more to fix than the car is worth. The big ones WRT dates are the fuel and exhaust leaks. Smells terrible. :vomit:

??? What year Honda you got? Thats between $200 & $500 to fix both problems, then there's always the vanilla pine tree to hang from the mirror:D . I used to rent an Arrow from a guy a lot to do some work with, and he would always hang them things in the plane, and I'd throw them in the trash. This happenned 3 times a week for two months.

Still, hard to go wrong with an S 2000, or any of the Accord series if you need that type of car. I really hate to say that I can't recommend an American built car to fill your bill. If you want a high performance car, yes, but when reliability is a primary issue, I don't see anything in the same league as a Honda. The closest I've seen is my old 1997 Dodge 2500 Cummins. In the 280,000 miles I put on it, with the exception of one transmission that I admit I abused with loads that truck was never intended to see, yet managed, I did absolutely nothing except change oil at 20,000 mile intervals, brakes (front only, never changed the rear) at 60,000, and tires.....:hairraise: :hairraise: :hairraise: ... I went through lots of tires. All the H rated 10 plys, all junk. They just don't hold to gether, except one pair of Coopers I wore out after 35,000. The rest blew apart with 70% tread. Goodyears, Michelins, Goodrich, Kelly, Dunlops... all of em, explosive destruction, junk. The truck though never a complaint, oh one belt tensioner and belt right before I sold it. It got 23 mpg as long as I stayed below 70. Anything below, even stop and go city to down open highway 23 so long as you were loaded light. 75 about 20. Never went faster as it becomes uneconomical in various ways. With a 38' trailer with an airplane loaded on it, it would get 17, didn't matter if it was a Citation or a 152. With a 48' fifthwheel, it would get at worst 13 loaded with 20 2000lb roundbales of hay (That's the load that the truck was never intended to see and it did about 40,000 miles of it). That was probably the best vehicle I have ever owned, and the guy I sold it to keeps me updated on it.

Henning said:
...my old 1997 Dodge 2500 Cummins. In the 280,000 miles I put on it, with the exception of one transmission...
Yep, got the same one in the driveway right now. I guess with 159,000 miles, I'm just getting the engine broken in, but the Dodge packing crate that they ship the Cummins in is not designed to go that many miles. So, seems like lots of little things to fix all the time. None of them too costly and too hard for a DIYer, but I'm just getting real tired of always fixing things. But, I would be real disgusted with always having things broke on a new $35k truck, too, so maybe I'll just keep fixin' and drivin' ...

Henning said:
flyingcheesehead said:
Problem with my current car is it's got a bunch wrong with it that would cost more to fix than the car is worth. The big ones WRT dates are the fuel and exhaust leaks. Smells terrible.
??? What year Honda you got? Thats between $200 & $500 to fix both problems, then there's always the vanilla pine tree to hang from the mirror:D .

The pine tree isn't gonna help you stay concious. Exhaust leaks are nothing to mess with.

I thought the leaky exhaust in the '55 Olds Delta 88 convertible I had in my youth was fine as long I kept the windows open, until the day my buddy and I vaguely noticed I had blatantly run a red light after I was well past it. :hairraise:

The top was down at the time so in theory I had plenty of ventilation.

CO kills!!! GET IT FIXED!

Henning said:
??? What year Honda you got? Thats between $200 & $500 to fix both problems

Yeah, but then there's the clutch, the windshield, and a plethora of ~$50-$100 problems as well. Add it all up, and I'd spend more than the car's worth.

BTW, quote for fuel tank alone was $400. The Accord's tank is not an easy one to replace, I think you have to rip out the entire back seat to get to it. :dunno: The clutch is the biggie though, I don't have time to put it in myself, and everyone else wants $1000.

flyingcheesehead said:
Yeah, but then there's the clutch, the windshield, and a plethora of ~$50-$100 problems as well. Add it all up, and I'd spend more than the car's worth.

BTW, quote for fuel tank alone was $400. The Accord's tank is not an easy one to replace, I think you have to rip out the entire back seat to get to it. :dunno: The clutch is the biggie though, I don't have time to put it in myself, and everyone else wants $1000.

Well, time to get a new one, that S-2000 sure looks purdy:D .

Back