Use of Flaps

Ownership of older aircraft

bbchien said:
Why is it that I am under the increasing impression that, what the FAA is going to do is simply make it impossible to operate anything put into service prior to 1975...

I don't get that feeling at all. The FAA has over the last five years made great strides towards making it easier to operate older aircraft, especially "orphans" whose manufacturers are no longer in business, including bringing the owners groups "inside the tent" on airworthiness issues, and GENERALLY accepting their inputs. We in the Grumman community have been very well served by the inclusion of the American Yankee Association in the process, and have avoided a number of unnecessary and potentially onerous AD's, as well as finding better ways to deal with some existing AD's, and are even making progress towards having one annoying and generally pointless AD-mandated inspection (the 100-hour aileron inspection for the AA-5-series) dropped.

If folks flying these planes support the owners groups by joining and renewing, we can not only prevent things from getting worse, but significantly improve the situation.

And yes, that is a shameless self-promotional statement for the AYA, of which I am the Safety Director and a long-time member, but also for many other groups with which I am NOT associated.

lancefisher said:
Right, I often confuse the two.

Not that the manufacturers make it any easier.

The book for my Commander is clearly labeled on the front cover as "Pilots Operating Handbook" with s/n and registration number. In small type below all that, it says "... and constitutes the Approved Airplane Flight Manual. This Handbook should not be used for operation purposes unless it is maintained in a current status."

Yes, it's legally an AFM. But the casual observer will see it labeled POH.

Still confused, Lance? :confused:

Back