USB to Female cigarette socket

How many volts does the Garmin DC adaptor require? USB only supplies 5V.

Not sure but this setup will be for charging the battery not direct power. The Garmin is allowed to operate while charging per the instructions. Worse case will be a slower discharge of battery. I charge phones, tablets, XGPS150 etc. with this little backup so should work if I can adapt. Maybe two raw ends and a nice splice in the middle.

16A in a cig lighter?

Ummmmm....ok

Not sure but this setup will be for charging the battery not direct power. The Garmin is allowed to operate while charging per the instructions. Worse case will be a slower discharge of battery. I charge phones, tablets, XGPS150 etc. with this little backup so should work if I can adapt. Maybe two raw ends and a nice splice in the middle.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=93601

Power input: 10 to 32 VDC, 3.5 W max.
Battery charge power: 4.5 W max
Total power while charging: 8.0 W max
Optional Battery Assembly

Type: Lithium Ion Rechargeable Battery
Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 3.8" x 0.9" x 6.4" (9.65 x 2.29 x 16.26 cm)
Output voltage: 7.4 VDC
Charging voltage: 10-32 VDC

The Garmin needs more than 5 volts to charge, a straight connection to the USB isn't going to cut it. You will have to include a DC-DC converter to boost the voltage.

Last edited:

Your 5V USB charger's gonna do nothing here.

Suggestion if your plane doesn't have a cigarette outlet -- Go to an autoparts store and buy one of these little emergency jump-starters:

portable-backup.jpg

They are cheap, and a scam for jump starting your car, but will run a Garmin all friggin' day.

I carry one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-XP18000-Universal-External-Netbooks/dp/B002K8M9HC/

Not nearly as cheap but works great for the GDL-39(And my video camera, and my tablet and a few other things, but not at the same time.). I chopped off the cigarette lighter end off the GDL-39 cable and put on the proper barrel to use it directly.

That Energizer is the one I need now. My Dual XGPS and tablet ran fine on 5 VDC from the isound unit I have but the Garmin requires a higher voltage. Thanks

Chartbundle, thanks for sharing the Energizer battery pack. Having 18000 m/ah of reserve and 3 separate but simultaneous voltage outputs this unit is really nice. I suppose it's kinda spendy but it has a 3 year warranty, appears to made quite well and comes with plenty of goodies. It's just the ticket for extended use with the GDL-39 and my tablet. Could you share how you mated up the barrel connector with the GDL 39 cord?

I thought that photo that ElPaso Pilot posted was pretty neat, so I did a little research:

It's a Wagan "EA2045 SelfCharge Auto Jumper." They also make one called a "EL2230 Deluxe Power Back Up Charger" that looks a little handier because the cigar lighter cable can be disconnected. From the instruction manuals, it looks like the batteries are both 1.5 amp-hour/1500 ma.-hr. Both are listed on Amazon and the "Deluxe" is cheaper.

It looks like the "Deluxe" is quite similar to that Energizer 18000 for 1/4 of the price, but with a clumsier form factor. I might just buy one myself!

I thought that photo that ElPaso Pilot posted was pretty neat, so I did a little research:

It's a Wagan "EA2045 SelfCharge Auto Jumper." They also make one called a "EL2230 Deluxe Power Back Up Charger" that looks a little handier because the cigar lighter cable can be disconnected. From the instruction manuals, it looks like the batteries are both 1.5 amp-hour/1500 ma.-hr. Both are listed on Amazon and the "Deluxe" is cheaper.

It looks like the "Deluxe" is quite similar to that Energizer 18000 for 1/4 of the price, but with a clumsier form factor. I might just buy one myself!

Unfortunately the Deluxe is only a 9vdc output which won't do me much better than the 5 volt unit I already have.

Just a note: I had just grabbed the first screenshot I could find -- there are several manufacturers of these at a range of prices. I have a Schumacher I bought about 5 years ago. The current model now has a USB plug as well. $36 today Prime on Amazon. This one appears to be rated at 4A-hr.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000H962CY

41ZCZM5KA7L.jpg

Bang for the buck has been fantastic. Has powered my 296 for 11 hour X-cty flights without blinking.

Last edited:
Could you share how you mated up the barrel connector with the GDL 39 cord?

I chopped the end off the included cigarette lighter cord and left about a foot on the cigarette plug end(to later add a barrel plug to use with the modified cable) And then just soldered a barrel jack to the remaining GDL-39 cable. I'm using the Green 9-12V output on the power pack with the included NB04 plug. I have no idea what the sizes were, I just went through my connector assortment until I found a match.

I chopped the end off the included cigarette lighter cord and left about a foot on the cigarette plug end(to later add a barrel plug to use with the modified cable) And then just soldered a barrel jack to the remaining GDL-39 cable. I'm using the Green 9-12V output on the power pack with the included NB04 plug. I have no idea what the sizes were, I just went through my connector assortment until I found a match.

So you have 2 basic cords yes? Cord #1 has Energizer green output tip on one end with a barrel female connector on the other end. Cord #2 has a barrel male connector on one end and the GDL-39 proprietary connector on the other end. Do I have it close? That's a perfect solution by the way.

Mike

So you have 2 basic cords yes? Cord #1 has Energizer green output tip on one end with a barrel female connector on the other end. Cord #2 has a barrel male connector on one end and the GDL-39 proprietary connector on the other end. Do I have it close? That's a perfect solution by the way.

Hopefully this makes sense:
cable.jpg

The green cable and adapter came with the battery, the other 2 pieces are from the original GDL 39 cable.

Back