US roundtrip

jangeurts

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jangeurts
Does anyone on this forum have previous experience with a week-long roundtrip covering as much of the US as possible, in a single engine (cessna/piper/diamond/cirrus)?
We're looking at an average of 6 to 8 flying hours a day, seven days in a row.
Starting point doesn't really matter.
We just want to hear from pilot's who have flown such "missions" in the past

What do you want to know? Feasibility? Feasibility depends on what time of year you select. Early autumn will provide you the best chance of not getting blocked for a day or two by weather. Personally I would find a plane in the NE somewhere, preferably Maine, maybe you can find something in Camden or Portland. You want something that does at least 140kts cruise since you're looking at around 7000 or more miles. From there, down the East Coast, follow hiway 10 West untill you hit water you cant see across, turn right keeping the water on your left, turn right again around Mt Raineer and work your way back east towards Maine. The reason I suggest starting in the East is the prevailing winds are Westerlies so if you are running out of time and have to head back on a shortened route, at least you won't have the wind working against you.

Have fun, there are many great things to see and stops along that routing. Kitty Hawk and the Barrier Islands, The Keys, Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater, Yosemite, Puget Sound, Jackson Hole, Yellowstone. A week though seems like a bit of a waste as it doesn't leave you any time to enjoy the places you are seeing, though it would be a great time building run, you'll be looking at 50 hrs or so in a 140kt plane, and that's with cooperative winds. I'd be seeing if I couldn't find a Bonanza to rent.

Depending on how much on the ground he wants to see while flying, a high-wing anything is better than a low-wing anything.

What do you want to know? Feasibility? Feasibility depends on what time of year you select. Early autumn will provide you the best chance of not getting blocked for a day or two by weather. Personally I would find a plane in the NE somewhere, preferably Maine, maybe you can find something in Camden or Portland. You want something that does at least 140kts cruise since you're looking at around 7000 or more miles. From there, down the East Coast, follow hiway 10 West untill you hit water you cant see across, turn right keeping the water on your left, turn right again around Mt Raineer and work your way back east towards Maine. The reason I suggest starting in the East is the prevailing winds are Westerlies so if you are running out of time and have to head back on a shortened route, at least you won't have the wind working against you.

Have fun, there are many great things to see and stops along that routing. Kitty Hawk and the Barrier Islands, The Keys, Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater, Yosemite, Puget Sound, Jackson Hole, Yellowstone. A week though seems like a bit of a waste as it doesn't leave you any time to enjoy the places you are seeing, though it would be a great time building run, you'll be looking at 50 hrs or so in a 140kt plane, and that's with cooperative winds. I'd be seeing if I couldn't find a Bonanza to rent.

Depending on how much on the ground he wants to see while flying, a high-wing anything is better than a low-wing anything.

True, if he could find a 210 to rent, that would be good, especially a T-210, but they're kinda hard to find for rent.

Does anyone on this forum have previous experience with a week-long roundtrip covering as much of the US as possible, in a single engine (cessna/piper/diamond/cirrus)?
Hubby and I have flown from White Plains, NY to Chico, CA and back in a C-172 in two weeks a few times. That includes several days of visiting with family in Oklahoma, Illinois, and California, so the flying time was less than a week of about 9 to 12 hour days with two pilots.

Why do you ask?

I flew from Mass to NC to Utah to California to New York to Pennsylvania in a long weekend (three full days and two partial days).

What you're looking at is a lot of time in the air in any single (other than a Lancair, TBM, or Pilatus) and not as much time on the ground looking at stuff. But if you're like me, that's fine. :)

Paging Ed Frederick...

Paging Kent Shook...

These two have each done a "follow the spinner" tour of remarkable scope; Ed, in his prior-plane, a Cherokee 180, Kent in a 182.

Thanks for all the replies so far folks...!
Many more are welcome

Having flown coast-to-coast in light planes a couple of times, a week would barely do it other than doing nothing but flying with no weather problems. If that's all you want to do, it's possible, although it's likely to be exhausting unless you have a good autopilot.

All in all, if you want to do more than see America as it goes past the wing, a month would be a better starting point.

I've done coast-to-coast. It's unlikely that you'll be able to fly every day, weather simply won't allow. Flying long hours every day is likely to begin to feel like work after a while. My suggestion is to pick a few en-route destinations and plan days off to explore them. Don't plan on planning too much, you'll be at the mercy of the elements, minor mechanical issues, etc.

It's fun as long as you let it be fun and have the right attitude. You have to be nimble and be able to make plans on the fly. Depending on where you're going, service ceiling can be a significant factor in route planning.
-harry

All of it in a week? Good luck.

I did a trip from
MI --> IA --> NE --> SD (5 hrs)
--> WY --> MT (5 hrs)
--> MT --> ID (4.4 hrs)
--> WA (1.5)
--> OR (2.0)
--> OR --> NV (4.8 hrs)
--> CA --> AZ (3.7)
--> UT --> CO --> NM (4.0)
--> TX --> OK (4.5)
Weather day stuck in OKC
--> KS --> IL --> IL (4.5)
--> MI (2.0)

(states mentioned more than once indicate more than one stop in that state)

18 states 11 days flying and what 42 hours or so. Even if I push each day to 8 hours, that's 5 days and I was barely east of the Missisippi except for 2 hours on day 1 and a couple hours at the end of the trip. I averaged a 3-5kt tailwind the whole trip. I was tired at the end of most days. By the end of the week your ADM is going to be AWFUL. Anytime I've done 8 hours in a day, I have been destroyed mentally and physically. No way would I try to do 48 states in 7 days unless I'm making 250-300kts on average.

It also took me 8 hours just to get from Maine to Michigan because I was fighting 40kt headwinds and 80kt ground speeds the next summer. You get a day like that going west, and forget about it.

Attached is the route of my trip. (when I originally made the map, I forgot to inlcue the stop in NE, and I haven't got around to fixing it.)

Attachments

• trip.jpg
    trip.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I've often thought it would be fun to do something similar, and we have a 210 for rent at our FBO with a nice G530 in it, but even with a well-maintained airplane, there's also the outside possibility of mechanical or weather issues if you are on a tight schedule. That said, I'd try it if I had lots of money.

Ryan

I did this one ending on Labor day this year in an SR22. We took 3 weeks, the wife put a strict 5 hr limit per day. The trip home from Williamsburg JGG to Los Angeles EMT was 2 1/2 days.

I agree with Harry, flying everyday would require amazing luck with the weather and 7hrs a day every day is too much to sit in an easy chair with a fridge full of beer and a good HDTV let alone a cockpit.

Joe

Attachments

• SummerVacation2010.jpg
    SummerVacation2010.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 33
Anytime I've done 8 hours in a day, I have been destroyed mentally and physically.

Should have bought a Beech,:D I'd fly Long Beach to St.Louis in a day, get out of my Travel Air and head out to party nicely relaxed and ready to go, and that was hand flying all day.

Should have bought a Beech,:D I'd fly Long Beach to St.Louis in a day, get out of my Travel Air and head out to party nicely relaxed and ready to go, and that was hand flying all day.

And the Travel Air doesn't have as nice ergos as the Aztec, at least for my long legs. I've been surprisingly agile after LA to NYC in a day in the Aztec.

One week is a little short to see much. Most of my trips involve about 2 weeks of flying. (It takes me 12 days to get anywhere, even if it is only one state away)
Here is a map with most of my trips on it. Each color is a different trip.
I do this low and slow (100 kts) Some days are long 7-10 hours, some are shorter 4-6 hrs.
I plan my trips throughly then go where ever the weather looks good! :idea:

Barb

Attachments

• N America Map 4B.GIF
    N America Map 4B.GIF
    344.7 KB · Views: 50
I plan my trips throughly then go where ever the weather looks good! :idea:

LOL, ain't that the truth. I quit any specific route planning because it never happened. I took a CFI with me once on a trip "back east" and was going to drop him in Kansas to ferry a plane back to CA (I was doing a favor for the buyer who was one of our shop customers), he asked to see my flight plan, I laughed, pointed ENE and told him "I plan to fly that way."

Paging Ed Frederick...

Paging Kent Shook...

These two have each done a "follow the spinner" tour of remarkable scope; Ed, in his prior-plane, a Cherokee 180, Kent in a 182.

Sorry it's taken me a few days to reply, I wanted to have some time to get this right.

First of all, you've heard several people say the following:

I agree with Harry, flying everyday would require amazing luck with the weather and 7hrs a day every day is too much to sit in an easy chair with a fridge full of beer and a good HDTV let alone a cockpit.

All of it in a week? Good luck.

I was tired at the end of most days. By the end of the week your ADM is going to be AWFUL. Anytime I've done 8 hours in a day, I have been destroyed mentally and physically. No way would I try to do 48 states in 7 days unless I'm making 250-300kts on average.

Having flown coast-to-coast in light planes a couple of times, a week would barely do it other than doing nothing but flying with no weather problems. If that's all you want to do, it's possible, although it's likely to be exhausting unless you have a good autopilot.

All in all, if you want to do more than see America as it goes past the wing, a month would be a better starting point.

I would agree - I'm guessing you don't want to do this simply to turn money into noise via airplane. I'm guessing you want to see some things, and there is a LOT to see.

My original trip plan was to go KMSN-S21 and back for a family reunion - 1,389nm each way, direct. This ended up morphing into a 5,800nm adventure by the time all was said and done, and it took me 10 pure flying days and 63.9 hours. That also did not include any of the eastern US at all - The only airports I touched east of the Mississippi were KMSN (my home base) and C29 (when I was so damn tired on the final leg that I didn't want to fly the last 10 miles - C29 was closer to my house).

What makes a trip like this fun is to not be too constrained by a plan. Sure, there'll be some high points you'll want to hit, but the in-between stuff will get changed a LOT based on weather and the whim of the day.

Since my trip was for sightseeing purposes, I did very little night flying - Basically, when the sun set I looked for the nearest friendly-looking little town with a rotating beacon nearby and pointed my plane toward it and landed. Aside from Sunriver, a visit with Will in Watsonville, and the mountain flying course in McCall, my overnights ended up in Aberdeen, SD; Powell, WY; Boulder City, NV; Bryce Canyon, UT; and Denver, CO; exactly ZERO of which were places I had planned to stop for the night.

Given only a week, I'm not sure what I'd elect to see. You'll see more amazing sights from the air in the western US than elsewhere, so I guess I'd maybe start in Wyoming somewhere, fly over Yellowstone and see the Grand Prismatic Spring, head to Idaho and get some mountain instruction and backcountry landings in with Mountain Canyon Flying in McCall, fly up towards Washington to get a view of Mount Rainier, then head south past Mount Adams, check out Mount St. Helens and the aftermath that's still visible, overfly Crater Lake, continue past Mount Shasta, Lake Tahoe, Las Vegas (the only thing worth flying past at night - Watch out for the big rocks though), Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Leadville, and hop over into the front range back to the beginning. For an example route: KCYS DNW 44.525N/110.838W(Grand Prismatic Spring) KWYS KMYL 55S HELNS 42.939N/122.109W(Crater Lake) KTRK KVGT 1G4 KGCN KBCE KRIF KCNY KLXV KCYS. Direct point to point it's a bit over 2,300nm but you'll need to add more for fuel/food stops, etc. and sightseeing of the "Hey, look at that!" variety. Plan on it being at least 3,200nm in reality, don't plan on good groundspeeds (your TAS is going to be impacted flying up that high in a normally aspirated bird), and do plan on it being 7 days of at least 5 flight hours per day.

But, you're getting the "western mountains, lakes, and other natural features tour" there. If this is truly a once-in-a-lifetime event, do it right - Get both the time and money budgeted so that you can make it count. You'll probably want to add in some cities, some sightseeing on the ground, etc...

Were it me, I would plan on doing the following:

Start somewhere in Texas. Dallas/Fort Worth probably has the most international flights - I'm assuming you're coming from Europe, your name sounds Dutch (cool - I lived in Wageningen for a year) - and there are plenty of places to rent airplanes in that area, generally for reasonable rates.

Then, I'd want to see the following:

1) New Orleans. Get some truly excellent Cajun food, see some live music, drink a Hurricane. Beware that the last thing may cause you to have to cancel the next day's worth of plans. ;)

2) Florida - Lots to do here, depending on what you're interested in. Disney World if you've got kids or you still are one, the Everglades if you want to see some cool wildlife, Key West "just because" (furthest south airport in the continental US), and I'm sure there's more.

3) Heading up the East coast, Savannah, GA is an interesting spot - Check out Fort Pulaski, a Civil War (1860's) era fort that still has cannon rounds embedded in the walls from that era. And eat at the Tuscon Grill - Best steak I've ever had, anywhere.

4) Don't forget to stop at First Flight Airport in Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills, NC where it all began.

5) Stop in the Washington, DC area to check out the various buildings, monuments, and the National Air and Space Museum (as well as the annex). Easily 4 days worth of ground stuff to do here just to cover the big things.

6) New York City - See Times Square, maybe go to a taping of Letterman or something like that, see a Yankees game, lots to do here.

7) Cape Cod, Nantucket, and/or Martha's Vineyard.

8) Boston area. Lots of history and other neat things here. The Freedom Trail is a must-do if you're interested in American history at all. Tour MIT, eat at the Bull and Finch Pub (the original "Cheers" if you've ever seen that show), again lots to do depending on where your interests lie.

9) Maine - Just because it's pretty up there. Harley can point you in the right direction for your sightseeing.

10) Go west, young man! Through ME-NH-VT and western New York - Head to the Buffalo area and check out Niagara Falls. This one's worth doing both in the air and on the ground. (Note that there are special procedures for doing the overflight as there can be a lot of traffic.)

11) Head to Michigan, via Cleveland (land at Burke Lakefront Airport, just because you can). Tour a big car plant, head north and go to Mackinac Island or head south and go to Chicago. (I'd head north.)

12) Keep going west. Mount Rushmore should be done both in the air and on the ground. Devil's Tower is pretty cool from both air and ground as well.

13) Do the Grand Prismatic Spring, maybe spend a day on the ground in Yellowstone as well, do the mountain flying as described above, and when you go by Mount Rainier, keep on going and stop in the Seattle area. Visit the Space Needle, or any other local attractions that you like.

14) Continue the tour as described above, check out the mountains, but after Crater Lake continue south to the Bay area - San Francisco is well worth a stop. Tour Alcatraz, see the Golden Gate Bridge, go to Fisherman's Wharf and get some clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl, ride the cable cars.

15) Next, head to the Los Angeles area - Go to Hollywood and take some tours there, if you're interested in movies.

16) Head to Vegas and do the rest of the "week" trip as described above, only rather than heading back up to Wyoming, head back south into Texas.

This version of the trip would best be done with 6-8 weeks of time available and would likely cost in the neighborhood of $20,000-$25,000, not including airfare to and from DFW. You wouldn't see everything the US has to offer, but you'd be hitting the high points both in the air and on the ground and see coast to coast, and it really would be the trip of a lifetime.

Or, you could do it in smaller one-week segments over the course of several years if that'd work better... But don't think you can see the whole country in a week by air - You'd be lucky to just hightail it from New York to California and back in a week without stopping to see anything or changing course along the way. Bo-ring! (Well, at least in the eastern half of the country where it's mostly flat. ;))

Another thing to keep in mind is that you'll probably want a 182 at a minimum unless you're doing the trip solo. Density altitudes out west can be staggeringly high - The DA was 12,200 feet when I landed at Leadville - so you'll need to have a bird with lots of extra horsepower, and not load it to maximum gross weight. The eastern half of the country could be done in just about any airplane you choose, but the terrain in the west is formidable.

That's enough random musings from me for one night - I hope this helps, and I hope you can give us more information as to what your financial and time constraints are and what you want to see most so you can get some more focused suggestions. Whatever you do, enjoy the journey! :yes:

NY to FL in 7 hours, non stop in a seawind........

I've done the coast to coast trip several times and I'd have to agree with that said it might be a stretch if a relaxed sight seeing itinerary is what you're looking for. I'd recommend going and exploring a part of the country and returning. I'm from the east coast so one of our trips was a SW US adventure. Durango, Mesa Verde, Taos, Santa Fe, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Moab, Page/Glen Canyon Dam/Lake Powell - there was plenty there to keep us hoping around in our plane for two weeks just in that part of the country.

And you have to remember that the people in the plane with you that aren't all geeked in on the flying part might want to actually get out and stretch their legs in some of these amazing places you might stop.

If I had a week, I'd pick a place and go explore the area and come back with more than just flying stories.

Idaho to Iceland in 7.2 hours, non stop...... (of course I wasn't paying the fuel or mx bill...) :D:D:D

Cozumel to Pennsylvania in 10 hours, including customs and a fuel stop. The 310 doesn't have quite long enough legs to do it non-stop.

As far as Iceland goes... showoff. :)

I did it last May in a T-41B. We took our time each direction, some deviation for weather.

Las Vegas NV to Augusta ME and return. 46tach hours.

i've done many across the country trips in tiny airplanes.... probably one of the best was Seattle to Orlando in an Ercoupe...

I took 14 days which included 4 days of stopping for MX in Eugene, OR... And then 3 days in LIttle Rock, AR for a wedding. I was only delayed for weather for 5 hours at the most...

It's very doable... I flew from sunup to sundown though. No rest for the weary! I think it was probably 7 days of solid flying.

Cozumel to Pennsylvania in 10 hours, including customs and a fuel stop. The 310 doesn't have quite long enough legs to do it non-stop.

As far as Iceland goes... showoff. :)
My longest was Vegas to Lakenheath, England - 13.4 gear up to touchdown. Almost 16 hours without standing up. That wasn't fun.

My longest was Vegas to Lakenheath, England - 13.4 gear up to touchdown. Almost 16 hours without standing up. That wasn't fun.

I can imagine not. Even on my days where I spent the better part of 16 hours in a plane, I had a few fuel stops.

Was this in the Eagle or something else?

Lakenheath! Haven't heard anyone mention my old alma mater in years. What took you there?

We flew from NE Ohio to California and back several times, stopping about every 4 hours for gas and running some excess energy off our children. The first three trips were in a C-172, and we figured three days out and two back, since the California part was the important part. The next four or five coast to coast trips were in a turbo Mooney, and that required two days out and one long, high one home, for the straight out and back trips from coastal NC to California. Another was a bit of a round robin, up to northern Minnesota, to Jasper and the Canadian Rockies, over to Vancouver, down to Seattle and the Olympic Peninsula, down past Mt. Shasta poking up through a solid deck of clouds, to Sacramento, to Ventura, then home via Crater Lake, somewhere in Kansas for gas, and straight home from there. If I were designing a trip to see again the most spectacular sights from the air, I'd leave NC, head north, land at College Park, MD to see DC granddaughter, then low over the Hudson River, up through NH's lovely White Mountains to Bar Harbor, then back over western NY and Niagara, to Amish-country NE Ohio; Chicago's Meigs would once have made the short list, but never again. Maybe the Sleeping Bear sand dunes, and the UP of Michigan ... then a long way over lots of pretty farmland, SD badlands, Mt. Rushmore, the Rockies- Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, Canada's Ice Field Parkway, Seattle, Mt. St. Helen, Mt. Shasta, down Hwy 1, inland to Truckee and Tahoe, then to Marin County, down the coast all the way to San Diego, stopping wherever it occurred to us. Back across the Sierras, Death Valley, Santa Fe, NM,Grand Canyon, Utah, Bryce Canyon, then down to the Big Bend of Texas for another paddle in the Sta Elena Canyon, up to TX hill country, to St Louis, back down to Louisiana, the gulf coast to Pensacola, FL- (the Navy museum's a don't miss) down Florida's gulf coast to Sarasota, then the Everglades, maybe some diving off Marathon Key, back up the east coast, waggle my wings over Cape Canaveral in a salute to better days, up to Savannah, GA, Charleston, SC, inland to the Smoky Mts, and back home to paradise. In a week? No, more like a month.
But that'd be sightseeing and relative-seeing. Sounds as if this'd be more like a marathon stunt trip you're planning. I can fly all day long happily, such is the comfort of my old bird, but there's so much under my wings I'd want to stop and enjoy, so many people I'd like to meet, that while a straight out-and-back cross-country is easily do-able in any high performance airplane, especially with an IFR ticket in your pocket, why do it that way if you don't have to?

Last edited:
Missed these (last year). oops.

I can imagine not. Even on my days where I spent the better part of 16 hours in a plane, I had a few fuel stops.

Was this in the Eagle or something else?
In the Eagle

Lakenheath! Haven't heard anyone mention my old alma mater in years. What took you there?
LN was my first assignment flying Eagles from 02-05.

Back