G-Man

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AirmanG
Anyone know about this event?
http://usflightexpo.com/ US Flight Expo 2017
Tucson, AZ - Marana Regional Airport May 3-6, 2017

Never heard of it before - is it a new event?
Just heard about it and looking for more information. Thanks!

Last edited:
No sponsors or partners listed. No exhibitors listed. No FAA seminars listed. Nice website design and colors but almost no details other than price of admission and details about the airport.

I live in Tucson and have (to date) not heard a word.

Got an email back from the organizers Jack Norris and Greg and Crystal Hobb after I inquired about attending/exhibiting. The latter two are owners of Geronimo Experimental Aircraft. This event seems oriented towards LSA and Experimentals.

"We have commitments from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty, Aviator’s Hotline, Lightning Aircraft. Kitfox has also indicated that they will be attending, but have not received a written confirmation. We have several more with keen interest, but the official announcement came out last week. Aviators Hotline, Dan Johnson, Kit Planes Magazine, Aircraft Spruce and the EAA and others have begun advertising this Expo to the nation.

There is no history to the event. This is the first time for it. Greg has been in the Light Sport business since the inception of the Lightning and has a Build center in the Marana area. He goes to every national event and felt the necessity for a western event that could grow and provide a more convenient place where folks out west would fly into. Ergo the selection of the May timeframe, good weather up in the NW and before it gets super hot in AZ. We will be supported by EAA volunteers amongst others, so a lot of folks that would be interested in your product are expected to participate…as volunteers or visiting pilots. Our contact campaign is focused on potential exhibitors and all the EAA Chapters that we felt were in reasonable flying distance (most of the states west of the Mississippi. AZ lends itself for the huge population of pilots to fly in from CA and TX.

Lot’s of LSA and experimental pilots out west who prefer not to fly to FL. Marana is convenient to PHX and TUC airspace, but you don’t have to transverse them to get there
easily. Many of the pilots in of interest to you either don’t like Class B or C…..and can’t easily go through that space without extra planning. That was evident at Copperstate last October with the move to Mesa."

Is there gonna be a AOA display? Will Maui Wowie be there, hawking? :yawn: :rolleyes2:

Got an email back from the organizers Jack Norris and Greg and Crystal Hobb after I inquired about attending/exhibiting. The latter two are owners of Geronimo Experimental Aircraft. This event seems oriented towards LSA and Experimentals.

"We have commitments from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty, Aviator’s Hotline, Lightning Aircraft. Kitfox has also indicated that they will be attending, but have not received a written confirmation. We have several more with keen interest, but the official announcement came out last week. Aviators Hotline, Dan Johnson, Kit Planes Magazine, Aircraft Spruce and the EAA and others have begun advertising this Expo to the nation.

There is no history to the event. This is the first time for it. Greg has been in the Light Sport business since the inception of the Lightning and has a Build center in the Marana area. He goes to every national event and felt the necessity for a western event that could grow and provide a more convenient place where folks out west would fly into. Ergo the selection of the May timeframe, good weather up in the NW and before it gets super hot in AZ. We will be supported by EAA volunteers amongst others, so a lot of folks that would be interested in your product are expected to participate…as volunteers or visiting pilots. Our contact campaign is focused on potential exhibitors and all the EAA Chapters that we felt were in reasonable flying distance (most of the states west of the Mississippi. AZ lends itself for the huge population of pilots to fly in from CA and TX.

Lot’s of LSA and experimental pilots out west who prefer not to fly to FL. Marana is convenient to PHX and TUC airspace, but you don’t have to transverse them to get there
easily. Many of the pilots in of interest to you either don’t like Class B or C…..and can’t easily go through that space without extra planning. That was evident at Copperstate last October with the move to Mesa."

Not the first attempt at LSA out west. Colorado Pilots tried it in 2011 and 2012. Had 6-7 LSA manufacturers, flight schools that specialized in LSA, but only local vendors. No one from outside the state (e.g. Spruce, the magazines, etc) were interested in attending altho a couple mags gave us free advertising. Gleim did send a box of goodies to help with marketing.

Not the first attempt at LSA out west. Colorado Pilots tried it in 2011 and 2012. Had 6-7 LSA manufacturers, flight schools that specialized in LSA, but only local vendors. No one from outside the state (e.g. Spruce, the magazines, etc) were interested in attending altho a couple mags gave us free advertising. Gleim did send a box of goodies to help with marketing.

Maybe Arizona will be a better choice. We all know this place is just a fly over State! LOL.

Wait. Fly. Over. People fly here!? Ahhh. Hmm. Something isn't making sense.

Seriously though, I wish Arizona luck but I think the LSA "craze" is kinda over. Things were hot and heavy there for a while but it seems to have faded a lot.

Most of the stronger LSAs have morphed into, "the cheap-ish primary trainers that we pretend we aren't flying over gross" around here.

Or so it seems when I watch who's climbing in and out of them at the local clubs, anyway. No way they're not over gross. Haha.

Those Gobosh'es are getting the crap flown out of them, but not seeing a lot of new ones on the ramps.

Maybe Arizona will be a better choice. We all know this place is just a fly over State! LOL.

Wait. Fly. Over. People fly here!? Ahhh. Hmm. Something isn't making sense.

Seriously though, I wish Arizona luck but I think the LSA "craze" is kinda over. Things were hot and heavy there for a while but it seems to have faded a lot.

Most of the stronger LSAs have morphed into, "the cheap-ish primary trainers that we pretend we aren't flying over gross" around here.

Or so it seems when I watch who's climbing in and out of them at the local clubs, anyway. No way they're not over gross. Haha.

Those Gobosh'es are getting the crap flown out of them, but not seeing a lot of new ones on the ramps.
Thr Mid-Continent LSA show in September, south part of Missouri seems to be doing well. It's been around for more than 10 years.

Thanks for pointing this out. My brother just retired to Tucson area and my flying goal fro 2017 is to personally fly to both coasts. So now I have a perfect stop to make on the way to Cali at a time when the weather should cooperate.

Yeah me!

Back