US Air Force Training Manuals

BruceAir

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BruceAir
If you fantasize about flying a T-38, wonder how the Air Force teaches instrument flying, or like to read memoranda that update superceded memoranda, check out the publications (in PDF format) available at:

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/

The most useful manual for those of us not in the warbird community is probably AFMAN11-217V1 Instrument Flight Procedures, the Air Force equivalent to the FAA's Instrument Flying Handbook.

But AFJI11-204 OPERATIONAL PROCEDURES FOR AIRCRAFT CARRYING HAZARDOUS MATERIALS somehow seems especially appropriate.

Last edited:
BruceAir said:
If you fantasize about flying a T-38, wonder how the Air Force teaches instrument flying, or like to read memoranda that update superceded memoranda, check out the publications (in PDF format) available at:

https://www-r.randolph.af.mil/12ftw/12og/ais/

(You'll have to accept the certificate when your browser asks.)

The most useful manual for those of us not in the warbird community is probably AFMAN11-217V1 Instrument Flight Procedures, the Air Force equivalent to the FAA's Instrument Flying Handbook.

But AFJI11-204 OPERATIONAL PROCEDURES FOR AIRCRAFT CARRYING HAZARDOUS MATERIALS somehow seems especially appropriate.

Told me I was unauthorized to view that site

I just love AFM 11-217v1 -- it teaches attitude instrument flying with the control/performance method, which I have always believe is a much better system for producing precise instrument pilots who can fly just about any plane in which they are dropped.

I've been in the Air Force, either guard or active duty for 23 years. I went back on AD 3 years ago and have used this site quite often. I was always under the impression that you needed to access it from a .mil address. Obviously, that was wrong. As a security forces officer (not responsible for information security:)), needless to say, I am somewhat concerned about public access to security procedures for particular installations and will inquire about this first thing Monday morning.

pete177 said:
I've been in the Air Force, either guard or active duty for 23 years. I went back on AD 3 years ago and have used this site quite often. I was always under the impression that you needed to access it from a .mil address. Obviously, that was wrong. As a security forces officer (not responsible for information security:)), needless to say, I am somewhat concerned about public access to security procedures for particular installations and will inquire about this first thing Monday morning.

Hey, Pete, are you familiar with KUMSC, and the plans the Air Force released to be published in the newspaper? PR folks mystify me sometimes!!

Joe Williams said:
Hey, Pete, are you familiar with KUMSC, and the plans the Air Force released to be published in the newspaper? PR folks mystify me sometimes!!

Hmm...not familiar with that. I am a bit concerned though, I found some pretty sensative stuff on that site. Took me all of 3 minutes. If you notice, the stuff marked FOUO has to be mailed out but I would say that most of it is FOUO and some of it may require a higher classification. Even if it is cleared for release, why would one release how we operate and help the opposing team. "oh, thats how the USAF does it, maybe we should try that". Geez

See the Security and Privacy Notice on the Web site:

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/privacy.asp, which notes:

1. e-Publishing and AFPUBS are provided as a public service by the Air Force Departmental Publishing Office.
  2. Information presented on the e-Publishing website is considered public information and may be distributed or copied. Use of appropriate byline/photo/image credits is requested.

Back