Urine test on 1st class medical

L

Laheyson221

Does the AME screen for different things on the urine test depending on the class of medical or is it the same for all classes. Seem to find some differing information regarding this on the web. Is this test just for glucose/kidney function, or do higher classes add additional tests?

From what I can tell substance abuse is a disqualifying condition. Is this based of a urine test during the exam, or is this limited to reporting a past fail DOT drug test?

Urine is for sugar and protein. Standard urine dipstick test. Medical conditions. As far as I know they don’t test for any drugs-legal or illegal.

As stated they're only looking for sugar and protein, but since there aren't a lot of strips that test only that, a lot of AME's use the common seven-test strips which also tests for things like ketones, pH, bilirubin, etc... This caught me by surprise when I was on the Atkins diet and the doc had me go "eat a bagel or something" and repeat the UA.

are-you-a-zfewt3.jpg

Does the AME screen for different things on the urine test depending on the class of medical or is it the same for all classes. Seem to find some differing information regarding this on the web. Is this test just for glucose/kidney function, or do higher classes add additional tests?

From what I can tell substance abuse is a disqualifying condition. Is this based of a urine test during the exam, or is this limited to reporting a past fail DOT drug test?

Waiting for the rest of the story....

:popcorn:

As stated they're only looking for sugar and protein, but since there aren't a lot of strips that test only that, a lot of AME's use the common seven-test strips which also tests for things like ketones, pH, bilirubin, etc... This caught me by surprise when I was on the Atkins diet and the doc had me go "eat a bagel or something" and repeat the UA.

Weird. I've been in ketosis on several regular physicals and flight physicals and never had anyone say anything to me about it. I thought they could tell the difference between normal dietary ketosis and ketoacidosis which comes from being a diabetic.

Ketones are ketones. Both will turn the strip purple. You were probably lucky that your doctor didn't use a strip with ketones or ignored the results.
Amusingly, it only took a sub for lunch for me to stop spilling ketones. I had a jar of ketostix in the house anyhow (my stepson is a diabetic).

Weird. I've been in ketosis on several regular physicals and flight physicals and never had anyone say anything to me about it. I thought they could tell the difference between normal dietary ketosis and ketoacidosis which comes from being a diabetic.
A diabetic shedding ketones will be shedding a ton of glucose as well.

A diabetic shedding ketones will be shedding a ton of glucose as well.

Ah. So in other words showing ketones and high glucose as well is the identifier. Well being low carb my blood sugar wouldn't be high even though in ketosis.

Yeah. Ketones high and high sugar is a good sign of an uncontrolled diabetic. Even a low carb uncontrolled diabetic will exhibit glycosuria and ketones. Keep in mind that the uncontrolled is about storing and transporting glucose incorrectly or inadequately. But with the advent of the newer SLGT2 meds (sugar pumpers) they screw it up a bit as they will elevate urine glucose but still be a well controlled diabetic but shouldn’t be spilling ketones unless fasting hard perhaps.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back