URGENT! CNN poll

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Go to http://cnn.com on the bottom right of the home page there is a poll; “Should small planes routinely be allowed to fly directly over big cities?” scroll down and look right (or call it 5 o'clock low) - labeled "Quick Vote"

We (GA) are getting our butts kicked on this.

Last edited:
need someone to write a script or something to stuff ballot

Actually, I'm really impressed by how well we're doing. Given the public's lack of knowledge and the recent events in New York, the fact that 37% said yes is nothing short of amazing.

The funny thing is that they're focusing on small planes. We've just proven how little damage a small plane does when it hits something in a city. Shouldn't they be banning large planes over cities? They cause a lot more damage when they crash.

Chris

cwyckham said:
Actually, I'm really impressed by how well we're doing. Given the public's lack of knowledge and the recent events in New York, the fact that 37% said yes is nothing short of amazing.

Yes, but its almots 2 to 1 against us. If this were a referendum, we'd be screwed.

cwyckham said:
The funny thing is that they're focusing on small planes. We've just proven how little damage a small plane does when it hits something in a city. Shouldn't they be banning large planes over cities? They cause a lot more damage when they crash.

Chris

C'mon now Chris! Logic, in the face of hysteria? What are you thinking?

ABS Magazine pointed out that pilots constitute .02% of the population folks. We are a very small minority. We won't win in "how do ya feel 'bout this, Buba poles". Need to stress inalienable rights like freedom of movement; how essential aviation is to getting people from point A to B etc.

Best,

Dave

yeah but..... CNN will use the poll results to spin some "news" out of the deal and .... away we go ...

Posted in response to the editorial on USA TODAY....

Imagine yourself waking up on a cool Sunday morning. You walk to your back door and take in the sight of the sun peeking over the horizon. You think to yourself, “What a great day for a drive in my car to just put the worries of the upcoming work week on the back burner, take in all this great country has to offer and to just enjoy my life." You check the pressure in your tires, open up the hood and check all the fluids, let the engine run for a minute or two in your driveway and pull out onto the open road. You got up early and have the millions of miles of this country's highways at your every whim. Five miles from your house you are pulled over by two military Humvees and ordered out of your car and forced to lay on the ground at gunpoint. You are not read your Rights; you are treated like a criminal. Just for enjoying a morning drive in your car? Correct, you are detained for several hours for simply driving your car. Why? Because you didn’t call the Department of Motor Vehicles and see if it was legal for you to drive your car today. Is that the type of America you would like to live in?

If your hometown team is playing baseball, you cannot leave your house without supervision. If the President is within 30 miles of you, you cannot leave your house without supervision. You forgot to ask for permission and supervision to drive to the pharmacy to pick up some medicine for your child – you lose your certificate for 180 days. You may no longer visit the Grand Canyon, because someone drove his or her car off the North Rim. You may no longer drive with the windows down on your car, because the manufacturer does not specifically say you are allowed to. You have to tell the D.M.V. what time you are leaving your house, how long you plan to be gone, how many people are going to be with you, what time you will arrive at your destination, and call them when you arrive. Is this the America you want to have?

That is the type of America that pilots have to endure every day of week. You wish to impose more restrictions on pilots, on where they can go, what they can and can not do, and why? Because they simply choose to enjoy life in a manner different than you, and in a manner that you deem unsafe, and "scary"? I should hope that your wish to impose more restrictions on people who value freedom is really what you want, because what is to stop the restrictions from spreading to your boat, your car, your bicycle, or even walking, when airplanes are completely prohibited in this country? Is that the America you want? An America where you are no longer allowed to drive where you want to go? An America where you must provide federal identification to ride the bus? An America where you are not allowed to visit your mother in the hospital because the bus service does not go there? An America where you are watched constantly by the government, that questions every turn you make, and every destination you hope to visit? One where you must show your papers to the authorities at every turn? I should hope not. It is not the America I want. I value the freedoms we have in America. I would hope you do too.

With Reverend Niemoller in mind...

First they came for the Pilots, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Pilot.
Then they came for the Boaters, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Boater.
Then they came for the Cyclists, and I didn’t speak up, because I was a Driver.
Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me.
Be careful what you wish for.

Edward Frederick
Commercial Pilot
Aircraft Owner
Airport Manager

Last edited:
Anthony said:
Yes, but its almots 2 to 1 against us. If this were a referendum, we'd be screwed.

Fortunatly, America's a republic, not a democracy :p

gkainz said:
Go to http://cnn.com on the bottom right of the home page there is a poll; “Should small planes routinely be allowed to fly directly over big cities?” scroll down and look right (or call it 5 o'clock low) - labeled "Quick Vote"

We (GA) are getting our butts kicked on this.

I found only a poll on USA overpopulstion there at ~8:00PM PDST...

N2212R said:

Ed, you need to run for something, I'd vote for you.

Under "Most Popular" videos on cnn.com they have a 2-minute segment titled "New York airspace security". They depict the path of the plane (a 180 around the Statue of Liberty, north up the river, then a descending left turn from 700' down to 500', where they lost radar coverage 1/4 mile from the crash, culminating in an impact with the building.) They then present a few interviews with shocked New Yorkers, including Pataki, who express surprise that pilots can circle Manhattan post-9/11 so low and not under the control of ATC. They make a reference to "flight visual rules" in the voice-over. They have the CEO of the Forseeable Risk Analysis Center speculating that there would be a "major disaster" if, instead of a passenger, the plane was carrying 200lbs of explosives.

They then do go on and present the counter-argument about the carrying capacity of a car or truck vs. the plane and have a very brief statement by Phil Boyer where he compares the plane with a Honda Civic.

smigaldi said:
Ed you should let us all use that for a letter to the editor of our local newspapers.

I can't do that because of copyright infringment. LOL

Please do, but I would somehow like credit for it.

N2212R said:

Imagine yourself waking up on a cool Sunday morning. You walk to your back door and take in the sight of the sun peeking over the horizon. You think to yourself, “What a great day for a drive in my car to just put the worries of the upcoming work week on the back burner, take in all this great country has to offer and to just enjoy my life." You check the pressure in your tires, open up the hood and check all the fluids, let the engine run for a minute or two in your driveway and pull out onto the open road. You got up early and have the millions of miles of this country's highways at your every whim. Five miles from your house you are pulled over by two military Humvees and ordered out of your car and forced to lay on the ground at gunpoint. You are not read your Rights; you are treated like a criminal. Just for enjoying a morning drive in your car? Correct, you are detained for several hours for simply driving your car. Why? Because you didn’t call the Department of Motor Vehicles and see if it was legal for you to drive your car today. Is that the type of America you would like to live in?

If your hometown team is playing baseball, you cannot leave your house without supervision. If the President is within 30 miles of you, you cannot leave your house without supervision. You forgot to ask for permission and supervision to drive to the pharmacy to pick up some medicine for your child – you lose your license for 180 days. You may no longer visit the Grand Canyon, because someone drove his or her car off the North Rim. You may no longer drive with the windows down on your car, because the manufacturer does not specifically say you are allowed to. You have to tell the D.M.V. what time you are leaving your house, how long you plan to be gone, how many people are going to be with you, what time you will arrive at your destination, and call them when you arrive. Is this the America you want to have?

That is the type of America that pilots have to endure every day of week. You wish to impose more restrictions on pilots, on where they can go, what they can and can not do, and why? Because they simply choose to enjoy life in a manner different than you, and in a manner that you deem unsafe, and "scary"? I should hope that your wish to impose more restrictions on people who value freedom is really what you want, because what is to stop the restrictions from spreading to your boat, your car, your bicycle, or even walking, when airplanes are completely prohibited in this country? Is that the America you want? An America where you are no longer allowed to drive where you want to go? An America where you must provide federal identification to ride the bus? An America where you are not allowed to visit your mother in the hospital because the bus service does not go there? An America where you are watched constantly by the government, that questions every turn you make, and every destination you hope to visit? One where you must show your papers to the authorities at every turn? I should hope not. It is not the America I want. I value the freedoms we have in America. I would hope you do too.

With Reverend Niemoller in mind...

First they came for the Pilots, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Pilot.
Then they came for the Boaters, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Boater.
Then they came for the Cyclists, and I didn’t speak up, because I was a Driver.
Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me.
Be careful what you wish for.

Edward Frederick
Commercial Pilot
Aircraft Owner
Airport Manager

Simply excellent. Probably the best response to all this that I've read on either board.

Can this be sent to all major newspapers?

N2212R said:
An America where you are no longer allowed to drive where you want to go?

An America where you are watched constantly by the government, that questions every turn you make, and every destination you hope to visit?

I am sitting in a meeting right now where there is discusion of using the ubiquetous broadband coverage to stop cars from hitting things. To get this down (without going into details) the network needs to know a lot of what the cars are doing and then limit their options to a few things for the next 100mS. To do this all vehicle will have to have tracking chips in them, data streaming out and into the vehicle to 'drive' the vehicle. Scary huh?

smigaldi said:
I am sitting in a meeting right now where there is discusion of using the ubiquetous broadband coverage to stop cars from hitting things. To get this down (without going into details) the network needs to know a lot of what the cars are doing and then limit their options to a few things for the next 100mS. To do this all vehicle will have to have tracking chips in them, data streaming out and into the vehicle to 'drive' the vehicle. Scary huh?

That's great. Put RFID chips in the children's arms so they are accounted for too?

N2212R said:
That's great. Put RFID chips in the children's arms so they are accounted for too?
Already been proposed and there are trials. The main market for this are public safety worker, specifically firefighters. In this way the fireground command and control can know where to deploy resources and when things go wrong to be able to find trapped firefighters. You might want to look on the web for Project MESA which discusses this applications.

smigaldi said:

About 10 years ago I worked on a project with the State of Illinios regarding just such eventualities. Spent some time at the IDOT traffic monitoring facility in Chicago (they were still using PDP-11's), and at the Motorola test bed facility in Schaumberg.

That was more along the traffic-control function, but traffic control is now trivial using toll tags.

In the name of "safety" we will be tracked.

There is a proposal in the UK (I can't pull the link right now) to have all travelers carry an RFID device after passing security. A short step, then, to imbed a device at birth.

wsuffa said:
About 10 years ago I worked on a project with the State of Illinios regarding just such eventualities. Spent some time at the IDOT traffic monitoring facility in Chicago (they were still using PDP-11's), and at the Motorola test bed facility in Schaumberg.

That was more along the traffic-control function, but traffic control is now trivial using toll tags.

In the name of "safety" we will be tracked.

There is a proposal in the UK (I can't pull the link right now) to have all travelers carry an RFID device after passing security. A short step, then, to imbed a device at birth.
This project is more than just tracking. By using the intelligent vehicle archtiecture the vehicles can communicate with each other and offer specific commands to avoid a collision. Sort of like TCAS but it would be automated since people would not be able to react quickly enough.

N2212R said:

Perhaps better to just place a unique numerical tattoo on the forearm of each person, thus simplifying the process and not requiring use of elaborate equipment for reading.

Does this evoke anything, folks?

I fear we are about to reach the point that our collective memories of such horrors is dulled to insignificance. Those who do not remember history, are doomed to repeat it; this is a chilling reality.

N2212R said:

Here is a great article about a product that already exists. Um for security reasons. You want to be safe don't you? All the people who are not terrorists will have these chips so that they can get throught the TSA security lines faster. :mad::eek:

http://www.eet.com/article/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=54200463

smigaldi said:
This project is more than just tracking. By using the intelligent vehicle archtiecture the vehicles can communicate with each other and offer specific commands to avoid a collision. Sort of like TCAS but it would be automated since people would not be able to react quickly enough.

Yep, I understand that. Telematics is a really hot space right now. I had my hands in the mapping/content delivery/traffic information part of it for the past few years.

A bi-directional link is the holy grail for a number of reasons. While safety is a stated purpose, each of the car companies is looking to sell recurring services (such as advertising, product sales, etc, etc) to car owners. The bi-directional link offers them that ability - and it's even better if the link can be mandated for "safety" reasons. Look no further than the scare <er> safety tactics employed by GM to advertise OnStar.

Back