Urgent! Action needed now! ATC Privatization sneak attack

Alright guys, I’m a little new to th GA scene so help me out understanding what is so bad about an industry advisory board? Because otherwise it’s completely in the hands of unaccountable beaurocrats...and I see a fair amount of bitching about FAA red tape on this board or others (AOPA). 1 of the 13 board members would be from GA, but how big a slice of the total aviation market does GA really equal? Seems like major airliners dwarf the GA business in terms of economic interest. I’m coming from a free market point of view and generally don’t believe government does the best job running things. So someone please help me understand this better so next time something like this comes along I’ll be able to enthusiastically participate.
Feel free to visit the FAA website that lists in excruciating details the number of aircraft in each category, number of flights, number of miles, economic impact, etc. In fact every state aeronautical board issues one every N number of years. For example, in Colorado, according to the 2013 Economic Impact report (new one is out later this year) General Aviation contributed 10% of the overall impact. Not bad for a state in flyover country.

The worry is 1) user fees and 2) priority of ATC use. The airlines want to control what is a public use entity.

Remember, everything comes down to $$$. That's the only real issue. Who benefits with a private ATC? Do you really think, no wait....are you naive to believe that this new board and entity will save money over the current system? That it will be more efficient?

Yes, we grouch about the FAA. But then, people always grouch about something.

Commercial delays are due to 1) weather and 2) volume of aircraft, and trust me, GA contributes an infinitesimal number of operations at the 27 (or is it 28) Class B airports.

Next - comparing ATC to any other country's system is apples and elephants. No other country has the quantity of flights of the US. No other country has the safety record of the US.

1 of 13 belongs to GA. Do you really think any vote will be fair? That one seat is a sop, and will probably be grabbed by the big charter companies, certainly not AOPA or EAA or any other organization that represents us.

Summary - just because something is big and brings in lots of money does not mean it should define the ground rules.

As orginally devised, there was no oversight for the New & Improved ATC. Not Congress. Not the FAA. The NTSB has zero involvement, in fact can't even dictate anything, only make recommendations. As for We the People....the board would be selecting its own membership.

Oversight, as defined and implemented in most governmental entities translates to Who Controls the Money. The original board controlled the $$$.

I agree. I think I misunderstood your comment.

Would it be more efficient as a private entity? Probably. Would that translate into cheaper costs to small GA? Not likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back