Upgrading router

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I have an old (8 yrs) Netgear router that has had a fair amount of customization over the years. The router is failing (I think). I want to replace it with a new router. Is there a way to export the settings so that they can be re-imported to the new router. I'm not really into routers and I suspect if I just swap the router and try to re-do all the customization I will screw something up.

I know I can export a config file and restore that file to the same model router, but I want to find a way to migrate to a new router..

What kind of customization are you talking about? Most routers have a setup wizard to make setup pretty easy

What kind of customization are you talking about? Most routers have a setup wizard to make setup pretty easy
I have various dedicated port ranges,
And some outbound services,
And remote access,
And some secure wireless channels (or whatever they are called),
And I have a second router/access point that has had routing disabled,
And I have a couple of security protocols in use.
And there probably a few other things I forgot about.

And while I am at it, I need to assure that I am compliant with all the new credit card security regulations
And I want to offer my clients free wifi but keep them out of my internal network,

And I won't have a lot of time to fiddle with it after replacing the router so I want to make this as quick and easy as possible.

And since "quick and easy" is usually incompatible with good, I have an expert coming in later today to look at it and coming back tomorrow to put in his recommended changes.

I'm not thinking you can do that for a new router. Too many new features have been added in recent years anyway. There will probably be quite a few security options you'll want to be different anyway. My Asus rt-n66r was one of the easiest to setup but is the best I've ever had.

I'm not thinking you can do that for a new router. Too many new features have been added in recent years anyway. There will probably be quite a few security options you'll want to be different anyway. My Asus rt-n66r was one of the easiest to setup but is the best I've ever had.

I agree. It's exceedingly unlikely that you'll be able to do a simple export / import of the configuration.

Also, in your case, I suggest limiting your selection to ICSA-Certified Firewall /Routers, and hiring some well-established, professional geek to do the installation / configuration. It reduces your liability exposure a bit, in my non-lawyer opinion.

When I was doing that sort of work, I wouldn't even consider using a non-certified firewall for a business. Not that they're necessarily any better (although they do tend to be better-made, in my experience), but they help establish an attempt on your part to do due diligence with regard to data security.

-Rich

I agree. It's exceedingly unlikely that you'll be able to do a simple export / import of the configuration.

Also, in your case, I suggest limiting your selection to ICSA-Certified Firewall /Routers, and hiring some well-established, professional geek to do the installation / configuration. It reduces your liability exposure a bit, in my non-lawyer opinion.

When I was doing that sort of work, I wouldn't even consider using a non-certified firewall for a business. Not that they're necessarily any better (although they do tend to be better-made, in my experience), but they help establish an attempt on your part to do due diligence with regard to data security.

-Rich
That's the route I am taking.
I didn't think I could just export and import the config, but I was hoping there was some way to transfer certain types of data. Like when saving a contact list on a PC and importing it to a Mac. But I understand why that can't be done.

-Rich
I have a Juniper SSG-5 at home and have been very happy with the unit. I also have the same units at 3 other locations (family) and have VPN tunnels set up and love it

The Cisco/Meraki stuff has worked great for us.

Definitely nothing wrong with Cisco.

Back