Upgrade to Bose A20?

fukhar

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Fukhar
hi, I have been using a David Clark h13.4 headset for a while now.
I don't mind it too much but it is definitely a little uncomfortable.
is it worth it for me to updates to a bose aviation x / a20 headset? what are your take on them?

hi, I have been using a David Clark h13.4 headset for a while now.
I don't mind it too much but it is definitely a little uncomfortable.
is it worth it for me to updates to a bose aviation x / a20 headset? what are your take on them?
Only if you like the idea of being able to hear in your old age, and getting there without having a headache after any long flight. :) And that's not limited to the Bose; it's true for just about any ANR headset. Personally I prefer the Lightspeed Zulu, but in any case try to actually fly with the headset before purchase, because they all fit a little different, and you're interested in which feels best to you. (I've got about 20 hours with the original Bose and a couple hundred with the original Zulu.)

One of the instructors I know has a Bose - I'm not sure if it is the A20 or the Bose X. He likes it much better than his old (non ANR) headset) but reported that the Bose noise cancelling causes a weird pressure sensation on the ear. He swapped with a student and tried the Lightspeed Zulu and he liked the Zulu better. The Lightspeed noise cancelling doesn't seem to exhibit the burbly pressure sensation behavior. It is cheaper, too.

I should mention that after I put the 20 hours on the Bose X's I returned them at a Bose store without a problem (it was within a month). So that's one way to see how they feel.

I have the Bose X, and have flown about 40hrs with it. Wonderful headset, comfortable, but the ANR with the "feel" on the eardrums does take a bit to get used to.

The downside is once the ANR is off, they are louder than a standard passive. The new A20 fixes that, better ANR, and even a bit more comfortable.

Ive also flown with a co-workers Lightspeed headsets, the older 15XLC. Even those are great headsets and the service is spectacular. He had to send one in for a cord replacement, and they fixed that, new ear-cups, and updated the electronics for free.

Lightspeed or Bose, I don't think you can really go wrong. Just figure out which one fits you best.

I just bought the A20, (upgrade from lightspeed QFR x/c). The first time i turned them on in the plane, i could barely hear the idling engine. I have put about 10 hours on them and have found the following: 1. The ANR is REALLY good. that being said, if you don't have a perfect seal (foggles, thick sunglasses) they are a bit noisy. 2. They are hella comfortable. I do wish they had a means to make them clamp a LITTLE tighter to get a better seal. 3. The 1100 dollar price tag is a bit steep. I was talking to my instructor, and i said they were REALLY nice, but for 1100, i was wishing for a bit more. Overall, i am happy with the purchase though. and it was nice to make my instructor drool a bit

If you go to OSH, you can generally try/test both brands. I like the Zulus myself, but other folks love the Bose. Whichever fits YOU the best will be a good choice.

Test the head set in your plane. I went to Bose Xs six years ago. The lightspeeds sounded better in the booth, but had issues in my plane--a distinctive buzzing sound. They changed them twice; no joy. Bose didn't have the issue. My Xs work great. Haven't tried the newer version.

Best,

Dave

I have 4 different headsets. The original (passive) Sigtronics I bought at the local pilot shop; DC 10-13x I've had for 7 years; BOSE X; and a set of Zulus. The DCs have, by far, the best passive. I'll fly with any but have the most time with the DCs. Both the BOSE bought a year ago and the Zulus bought a couple of months ago were used. Saved a bunch of money that way. Both were found on the AOPA for sale site.
ANR is definitely the way to go. Used if you can't afford them new; factory reconditioned is another way to go.

I LOVE my Bose A20 headset. The batteries died mid-flight and it was a noticeable change in sounds. I always have "ear issues" when flying so I don't notice the more ear pressure the others have. It usually takes 5 minutes for my ears to pop once I'm on the ground. Totally worth the $1100, IMHO.

I have used both Lightspeed and Bose. I like the Bose better. I also like that they are made in America versus China. I try not to buy products from China unless I have to.

to your question, yes it is worth the money to upgrade

Last edited:
Back