Upgrade to 1st class after deferred 3rd class issued

Cxt1067

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Cxt1067
When applying for 3rd class medical, my application was deferred due to mental health history. I did psychiatrist evaluation, neuropsychological evaluation and cog screen. Eventually FAS issued me a 3rd medical valid for 5 years without requirements to do further tests or evaluation. I was only cautioned to report significant changes. I am considering upgrading to 1st class and have some questions:

1. If nothing changes, will I be deferred again for applying 1st class and more evaluations? (I am thinking maybe the standards for C3 and C1 are different so it may lead to another round deferral? I am not sure)

2. If my first class is deferred, given nothing changes And my 3rd class is not expired yet, is my 3rd class still valid during the time when 1st class is deferred and pending decision?

Would love to hear some advice and plan in advance. I appreciate any thoughts, experience and input.

To answer accurately I would have to have the diagnoses per the eligibilty letter. You may not wish to post them here. For some the stds are the same for all classes.....

To answer accurately I would have to have the diagnoses per the eligibilty letter. You may not wish to post them here. For some the stds are the same for all classes.....
Thank you Dr. Chien, can I private msg you the diagnosis per the letter.

To answer accurately I would have to have the diagnoses per the eligibilty letter. You may not wish to post them
To answer accurately I would have to have the diagnoses per the eligibilty letter. You may not wish to post them here. For some the stds are the same for.
It‘s ptsd mdd and adjustment disorder. Much appreciated if you could chime in.

14 CFR § 67.107 (Mental Health Standards for 1st class medical certificates) and 67.307 (Mental Health Standards for 3rd class medical certificates) are identical.

The only differences between the three exams are: the eye standards (they are more rigorous for first- and second-class medicals); an electrocardiogram for any initial first-class medical exam over age 35, and then annually over age 40; and the frequency requirements for the three examinations.

Back