Display Name

Display name:
coloradobluesky
I have a Windows 8 laptop and Internet Browser. Can I
1. Update a Garmin 430?
2. Update a King KLN90B?

with the above mentioned PC.

You can update the 430 with an adapter.

You cannot update the unit itself, but you can update the data card with data you buy from the supplier (either one-time or by monthly subscription) using an adapter you buy and free download/update software. You download the new database off the internet. If the adapter is already plugged in with the card in it, the card is updated. If not, you can plug in the card/adapter later and then update the card. That allows you to do the update at home or at the airport.

For details on database updates for the 430, see http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/legal/charts/ads-overview.jsp?kwpgus=&cid=sem90042704.

For details on database updates for the Kings, see https://wingmanservices.bendixking.com/wingman/pages/wingmanSoftwareUpdates.jsp.

Last edited:
To expound...the Garmin 430/530 (regular and W) use a non-standard data card which you need the a special card writer (Jepp's Skybound II) to connect to the USB port.

The older king like the KLN90B uses a cable to update it that plugs into the serial (COM) port.

You need software (free) from Jepp (JSUM ) for the 430 and a thing called the data loader or such from King for the 90b and of course to pay for the subscription.
A browser itself won't cut it.

I have a Windows 8 laptop and Internet Browser. Can I
1. Update a Garmin 430?
2. Update a King KLN90B?

with the above mentioned PC.

[$igh]*

*Hell, somebody's gotta do it till Dr. Bruce gets back.

[$igh]*

*Hell, somebody's gotta do it till Dr. Bruce gets back.

Yep.

I fly VFR so I don't need 13 updates a year for my 530W. But the one year subscription is about $320 and a one time update is $120. I understand volume discounts, but that is a little extreme.

But then again, I spent $120 for 100ll to fly for a couple of fish sandwiches last weekend.

Back