Updating database Garmin 430W

Correct, you can take a card from one 430/530 or 430w/530w to another and back without issues. I was told by Garmin the the GTN cards and downloads are unit specific, in other words, they "fixed" that problem.;)

Thanks. I'm cleared up on that. My planes will each have one 430w. I can update either card in either plane, and swap them back and forth. But not both cards in both planes at the same time. I knew that, but my real question was if each card was proprietary to each unit specifically.

Answer is NO.

Any 430 NAV card will work in any 430, any time, with any update. Thanks guys....:drink:

And that was a good tip about the second subscription with a buddy .... :yes:

Alright! I don't have to buy another sub to fly my 180, or my RV8 current.... :rockon: I can't stand myself sometimes .... :rollercoaster:

Correct, you can take a card from one 430/530 or 430w/530w to another and back without issues. I was told by Garmin the the GTN cards and downloads are unit specific, in other words, they "fixed" that problem.;)

Allen wrenches fix that fix. :)

But you can buy a PilotPak subscription that will allow all radios that share the same data pack, in the same plane, to be upgraded for one price lower than multiple subscriptions.

Another thing to watch out is if you bought Jepp Pilot packs for the GTNs that include safe taxi, obstacles, terrain and base map along with the nav db. Because of the 26/56/infrequent updates cycles, if you use multiple data cards (like many of us do), they will only allow you to update the DB once. So, you end up on an off cycle situation if you use multiple cards (keep in mind only the Nav data is the legal requirement -- but heck you paid for all of them to be current at any one time). I spoke to Jepp and Garmin about this. Jepp said it was because the non-Nav databases are owned by Garmin and they are restricted to allow only one download per cycle.

Not sure if it is BS, but Garmin said to me "that is not a problem if you use our service".

Last edited:
I just priced the databases for my new avionics, for the G600, GTN 650 and 750, it's around $900.00 for all three. :eek:

You only need one to be legal. Except for West Virginia, they haven't moved any mountains lately and foreflight on an ipad is cheaper than keeping the maps in the G600 current.

Thanks. I'm cleared up on that. My planes will each have one 430w. I can update either card in either plane, and swap them back and forth. But not both cards in both planes at the same time. I knew that, but my real question was if each card was proprietary to each unit specifically.

You'll have two cards. Update one to the current DB at a time and keep the other with last months DB asa backup. Keep both in a little runners-wallet tied to the hangar keys.

You'll have two cards. Update one to the current DB at a time and keep the other with last months DB asa backup. Keep both in a little runners-wallet tied to the hangar keys.

Thanks. Will do.... :thumbsup:

You only need one to be legal. Except for West Virginia, they haven't moved any mountains lately and foreflight on an ipad is cheaper than keeping the maps in the G600 current.

You are correct, I haven't actually purchased a data plan yet, I got my free updates and that's all so far.
The way Garmin "bundles" the data it's cheaper to get it all year than one time updates, or at least that's how it appears. :dunno:

I was wondering if anyone is willing and able to sell me a recent Jeppesen USA update for my 430w. I bought this Unit in 2009, my updates expired (2010) long before I got this home built in the air.
I would love to practice VFR with something much newer. I see a number of local GPS approaches that are not listed on my current database.

There are certain things in this world that pique my interest and that I want to learn more about. Updating a GPS database is not one of them. When it comes to these things, I have more money than patience. In my newly procured aircraft, the 430W only has a partial database, and guess where the coverage stopped? You guessed right, the Western US states, i.e. home. This leads me to the conclusion I have to update the database or be forever doomed looking at a blank screen with the odd VORTAC on it. Former owner gave me the dongle thing so I can download some kind of database. But as I said, I'm so woefully uninterested in taking up any kind of brain capacity with this, that I'd rather have someone do it for me while I shower them in money.

So my question is - can any avionics shop do this? Or can you convince me it is simple enough to do by myself without inducing panic attacks and general rage? And how expensive is this database then to subscribe to from these leeching bloodsuckers?

God I hate all of this. If it was legal and didn't run the autopilot I'd chuck the thing out and have my ForeFlight be the only thing in there.:D:yes:

Funny - I was updating my cards as I was reading this. Not much to learn. Plug the cards in PC - couple of clicks later its done... I'd suggest purchasing extra cards - just as a convenience...

I know it is easier to pay someone else to do it, but this is one of those things that really isn't worth it. I made the mistake of asking the avionics guy at the shop that was doing the annual on the Baron to update the database on my 430. Got charged $300 for a one time update (at least half of that was the shop labor rate). I think my whole yearly subscription with Jepp is about that much. For that kind of money it is just way too easy to do it yourself.

WTF?

The labor involved in updating a 430W database is pulling out the old chip and putting a new one in. It takes longer to type that than to do it.

I don't know about that.:rolleyes: I usually have to plug in my laptop that I use only for updating my 530W chip, then log on to the Jepp site, then download the update, usually while I'm taking a shower, then I have to shave............OK that's not part of the labor opertion, then put the lap top away for another month. THEN I swap the chips out at the airport.:yes:
It takes a good 5-7 minutes! ;)
WTF?

The labor involved in updating a 430W database is pulling out the old chip and putting a new one in. It takes longer to type that than to do it.

I update the cards for my flying club; one 530W, one 430, and one GX55. I used to lose sleep over getting the cards into the airplanes PRECISELY on time. No longer. It's not really necessary. Jeppesen puts out a textual update with the changes documented. MOST OF THE TIME, nothing has changed in my operating area of south Florida.

Most everybody flying these days has (or should have...) an iPad with something like ForeFlight. If you do have FF or Garmin's app, I really believe an update a couple of times a year is all you need, UNLESS YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL PERFORMING A PROFESSIONAL SERVICE. In that case, IMHO, you clients should get the benefit of the doubt with 28 day updates. But, not so much the rest of us.

anyone want to swap WAAS cards before updating?....Mine (530W) is a year or two old and I'd like to be within a month or so.

Last edited:
I have a 540w 430w combo: you cannot cross fill unless both cards are on the same cycle. The cards are not unit specific: I took my cards and put them in my friend's King Air for a recent business trip- why should it matter?
You can buy limited area subscriptions if you don't fly that far. The terrain database is a whole separate deal but not programmable by the same device.

Big thing is if you buy a spare card there are differences: the older ones have a silver label, newer ones are orange label. If you have a card go bad they only sell the newer orange ones. You will also need to buy a newer orange label card programmer to do the orange cards. The older silver label card programmer will not work with the newer orange cards. Expensive. I think they only sell orange cards now, so you'll likely need both- I recall it being around $300.

I seem to remember expired cards can be used for enroute but not approaches or something like that, but just keep mine current since I fly a lot of IFR. For VFR flying I just update my other plane whenever.

2 cards, one unit. Loving life. Back when I had one card and one unit I would invariably end up needing to make a trip to the hangar with the laptop and reprogram the card. Now, I always have one card at home. I update said card at home then bring it into the hangar on the first flight in a new cycle, swap cards, then bring the other card home where it sits until it's time to do the next update. Buying 2nd card on ebay was totally worth it.

Mountains are moved regularly in Colorado....not that the databases know about it though...

Mountains are moved regularly in Colorado....not that the databases know about it though...

True Terrain is pretty constant; but obstacles like towers, bridges, power lines, VFR checkpoints do. I could never figure out why people fly with DB's sometimes years out of date. I suppose someone VRF flying the same local area continuously for years, maybe.

Last edited:
Back