Updates for Garmin 430

flykelley

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
flykelley
Hi Guy & Gals
Our club just had a Garmin 430W installed. We plan on keeping the data base updated. Looking at the things we need for doing updates are the following.
A extra data card- Looked around and Jepps wants $195.00 for one
Jepps Skybound USB card programmer $50.00

Is there any place else we can save some money on these items? I checked ebay and a few places on line.

Regards Mike

You don't "need" an extra data card.
but it sure makes the updates easier.

I have the old style programmer and it takes about 45 min per card. It is much easier to do it at home in advance.

Joe

You don't "need" an extra data card.
Hi Kgruber
I know we don't need the extra card but it will save some trips to the airport. The member of our club who is going to be doing the updates live about 15 miles from the airport.

Thanks Mike

You'll need a separate Garmin usb card programmer for the obstacle/terrain data card, not available from Jeppsen.

The data card from Garmin is even more expensive than the Jeppsen navdata card if you want to have a spare.

Hi Guy & Gals
Our club just had a Garmin 430W installed. We plan on keeping the data base updated. Looking at the things we need for doing updates are the following.
A extra data card- Looked around and Jepps wants $195.00 for one
Jepps Skybound USB card programmer $50.00

Is there any place else we can save some money on these items? I checked ebay and a few places on line.

Regards Mike

You'll need a separate Garmin usb card programmer for the obstacle/terrain data card, not available from Jeppsen.

The data card from Garmin is even more expensive than the Jeppsen navdata card if you want to have a spare.
Hi Steve
We don't plan on buying a extra card for the obstacle/terrain card. We only plan on doing the garmin update once a year.

Regards Mike

In answer to the original question, no, there is no other source for these cards new. Used cards may be available on eBay or other internet flea markets. As for the programmer, you're gonna need that anyway to reprogram the card that's in there every 28 days.

Hi Guys
We bit the bullet and order the card reader and extra card from Jepps. Thaks for all of your input.

Regards Mike

In answer to the original question, no, there is no other source for these cards new. Used cards may be available on eBay or other internet flea markets. As for the programmer, you're gonna need that anyway to reprogram the card that's in there every 28 days.

Just to piggyback on this for a second:

I update the database, of course, to stay legal for the approaches, every 28 days.

I have not updated the terrain database since installing the 430W last June. How much $$$$ does Garmin grab us for to get the terrain updates ie. cost of the reader/cost of the update, etc. and what do the 430-530 folks here do regarding the terrain databases anyway? Realistically, how much does the terrain change in the course of a year?

I haven't checked the cost of the terrain database update lately, but I think that an annual or semi-annual update might be appropriate. Of course, if you're using the system to meet a TAWS requirement, that would be a different story, but not many of us here are required to have TAWS.

I have not updated the terrain database since installing the 430W last June. How much $$$$ does Garmin grab us for to get the terrain updates ie. cost of the reader/cost of the update, etc. and what do the 430-530 folks here do regarding the terrain databases anyway? Realistically, how much does the terrain change in the course of a year?
Garmin doesn't regularly release new terrain databases, because plate tectonics is a very slow process.

It does regularly release new obstacle databases, though, because towers and building go up. This database goes out every 56 days. It's $50 for a single update or $200 for an annual subscription. In my flying club we just do obstacle updates once a year, since there is no legal requirement to maintain this up-to-date, and this seems like a reasonable compromise.

Besides the ridiculously expensive low capacity proprietary flash cards, there is also a ridiculously expensive proprietary card programmer, one that's different from the proprietary card programmer used for navdata updates:-harry

Garmin doesn't regularly release new terrain databases, because plate tectonics is a very slow process.

It does regularly release new obstacle databases, though, because towers and building go up. This database goes out every 56 days. It's $50 for a single update or $200 for an annual subscription. In my flying club we just do obstacle updates once a year, since there is no legal requirement to maintain this up-to-date, and this seems like a reasonable compromise.

Besides the ridiculously expensive low capacity proprietary flash cards, there is also a ridiculously expensive proprietary card programmer, one that's different from the proprietary card programmer used for navdata updates:
-harry

Thanks Harry and Ron

Yeah it figures that everything they touch amounts to multiple AU's for no reason at all. Too obvious and not enough profit to just have the garmin and jepp data bases at least use the same card readers to program the updates through. Sheesh

Back