Update [was: Is customer service dead?]

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
So, I took the car back to the dealer yesterday morning, and recalled my old Navy days and spoke to them in a command tone of voice. No, I didn't interject colorful BMCM type language, but it definately was a talk in the **** rolls down hill military tradition.

Interestingly, they actually put the car in the service bay, put it on the rack, and did some tests. The mechanic found the compressor to be making abnormal noises, and they replaced the compressor and gave it a fresh evacuation and coolant charge.

Although it was only in the low 70's, it seemed to cool fine, but the real test will be the next high 80's/low 90's day (early next week). The service writer also said if the compressor didn't do the trick, bring it back and they'd look again.

So, I'm glad I finally got some action, but I'm disappointed I had to be a total flaming tyrannical ******* to get it. Why do they wait for the customer to blow a gasket before doing the work?????

Because we have become a nation of sheep and they know that most people will not require them to do any work.
And that is important because with most automotive warranties, the parts costs only are borne by the factory, whereas the labor is borne by the dealer.

-Skip

And that is important because with most automotive warranties, the parts costs only are borne by the factory, whereas the labor is borne by the dealer.

-Skip

This is not true; I am aware of no manufacturer that makes the dealer eat labor.

They typically scrutinize it carefully, but it is paid for like other work.

This is not true; I am aware of no manufacturer that makes the dealer eat labor.

AFAIK, there is a said book time for each repair, and if the dealer beats the book timewise, they win, and if they don't, they lose.

As one who has been in the "car business" for over 20 years I must comment.

Every manufacturer/distributor reimburses the dealership for parts (plus mark up) and labor for all legitimate warranty repairs.

The parts are generally marked up 40% (I can't speak for all manufacturers/distributors) and labor is reimbursed from the time listed in the labor operations time guide. Labor reimbursement is calculated as labor time x labor rate.

Bill is correct, sometimes the dealership makes money and sometimes they lose. There are too many variables involved to discuss how the win/lose takes place in this forum.

I was reporting third hand knowledge and so I will defer to those who know.

-Skip

Back