Update on my PPL training

Tarheel Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tarheel Pilot
So I haven't been here for awhile, I apologize for that I just get too bogged down in real life lol. Anyways, my solo flights were going ok, but they're now on a hiatus because the Piper Cherokee 180 that I was flying was moved to an airport thats about 2 hours away from my home, and I tried flying the Cessna 172 but it is just a completely different bird and I just didn't feel comfortable in it because mainly it felt like the aircraft was made for a tall person and I am only 5'5. So right now I am waiting for the Cherokee 180 to come back to my field and I am keeping my proficiency up by flying my Flight Simulator.

I will be taking the FAA Written Exam this Friday, and I've been studying like crazy for it, and I think I will pass it, I'll let you guys know if I do or not, and that's pretty much it for the update, keep on flying. :)

written is a good thing to do during down time. flight sim is not much of a proficiency tool, but its great for procedures. and (to some of us) PilotsofAmerica IS real life ;)

written is a good thing to do during down time. flight sim is not much of a proficiency tool, but its great for procedures. and (to some of us) PilotsofAmerica IS real life ;)
Of course it is... even lots of emotion. Heck, just check out the Spin Zone. :D

Well I took my PPL Written test today, and I passed! Whooo! :) Most of the questions that I missed was weather related, so my CFI and I will be going over that.

CONGRATS, Now it time to get serious about doing the Checkride.
BTW i fell you'll do just fine on that too. Next thing we want to hear is " I'm A Private Pilot". Congrats again and keep working at it .
Dave G:blueplane:
P.S. i dont like cessna's either (LOL)

CONGRATS, Now it time to get serious about doing the Checkride.
BTW i fell you'll do just fine on that too. Next thing we want to hear is " I'm A Private Pilot". Congrats again and keep working at it .
Dave G:blueplane:
P.S. i dont like cessna's either (LOL)

lol, well it's not that I don't like Cessna's, I'm sure they're a fine aircraft for some people, it's just that I'm 5'5, and Cessna 172 were obviously made for tall people so it was a little uncomfortable flying it, and plus I didn't want to have to get used to a whole new aircraft to complete my training.

lol, well it's not that I don't like Cessna's, I'm sure they're a fine aircraft for some people, it's just that I'm 5'5, and Cessna 172 were obviously made for tall people so it was a little uncomfortable flying it, and plus I didn't want to have to get used to a whole new aircraft to complete my training.
I'm 5'9" but find myself cranking the seat height up close to max in a 172. When I get in the right seat of a 172 without the optional adjustable right seat, I find it difficult to see the far end of the runway in the landing flare.

Amen to that Ron. Shave 4 inches off your height and you'll understand my prediciment when I was flying them :D

I'm 5'9" but find myself cranking the seat height up close to max in a 172. When I get in the right seat of a 172 without the optional adjustable right seat, I find it difficult to see the far end of the runway in the landing flare.

I'm also 5'9" and I owned a 172 for a couple of years. Crank the seat up and if that's not enough get yourself a cushion. My wife is 5'6" and if the right seat was not up all the way she complained about not being able to see.

Congrats on the written! Guess I never thought about the 172 not fitting short folks - it fits me just fine! :D Truth is, it's got a lot more headroom than the cherokee 180 I'm flying now, but I can crank the seat down and fit ok. ;)

I'm also 5'9" and I owned a 172 for a couple of years. Crank the seat up and if that's not enough get yourself a cushion. My wife is 5'6" and if the right seat was not up all the way she complained about not being able to see.

Do short folks (who often have short legs) find that when they use cushions to get eye-height they then are too far away from the pedals to get full throw?

Do short folks (who often have short legs) find that when they use cushions to get eye-height they then are too far away from the pedals to get full throw?

That was part of the problem that I had when I tried to use cushions in the 172. When I flew the 180, all I had to do was crank the seat up, pull the seat up almost to the front but not all the way, and I was able to move the pedals full back and forth, but with the 172, I could only get them to go half way.

I'm also 5'9" and I owned a 172 for a couple of years. Crank the seat up and if that's not enough get yourself a cushion.
Or just skip all that and trade your 172 for a Cheetah and improve your view out 200% with neither cranking nor extra cushions, and get an extra 10 knots to boot.;)

Or just skip all that and trade your 172 for a Cheetah and improve your view out 200% with neither cranking nor extra cushions, and get an extra 10 knots to boot.;)
If you can't see out the Skyhawk sufficiently, doesn't just getting a smaller airplane make you a cheetah?

:goofy:

Ron, I've always wondered how comfortable Cheetahs or Tigers were for tall people. Any feedback for a 6'3" person? I've never sat in one but drool over the visibility. As a point of reference, a DA-40 was a painful ingress/egress.

Ron, I've always wondered how comfortable Cheetahs or Tigers were for tall people. Any feedback for a 6'3" person? I've never sat in one but drool over the visibility. As a point of reference, a DA-40 was a painful ingress/egress.
Well, if you have a headroom problem, you can always open the canopy and let your head stick out.:D

Seriously, the AA-5-series is great for folks with long legs. At 5'9", I find I have to pull the pilot seat up to the forward limit to feel comfortable. Sitting height is also very good, and I know plenty of folks your height and more who are very happy with their Traveler/Cheetah/Tiger (same cabin in all). For more testimonials, try the Grumman Gang email list.

Back