Update from Asia

Dan Deutsch

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Danno
Hey everyone,

Talk about a busy quarter - jeesh!

Family and I settled in and have completed my first rounds of the new territory. The first quarter included trips to Tokyo, Incheon, Seoul, Taipei, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh (Saigon), Bangkok and Manila.

Oh, yeah and a six week trip to Cincinnati while my wonderful wife (yes she's reading over my shoulder) unpacked and set up our house.

2nd quarter will see trips to Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne and Auckland. Oh and maybe a trip to Bombay for good measure - LOL.

So is there flying in Singapore? - Yes if you lke flying holds. GA consists of a racetrack pattern that takes about 8 minutes to complete. Not fun so Josh and I ventured off to Malaysia to see what lurks at Sendai airport.

Of the two flying clubs for which I found websites, one is all but out of business. Unfortunately this is the one with the better equipment. The good news is there are 152's (2 ea) and a 172 available for rent as well as a couple of quicksilver experimentals at the other place and the operator is a swell guy.

I posted a picture of the price list - BTW that 310 MR (Malaysian Ringgit) equals about $85 per hour.

The somewhat bad news is that in order to fly solo I do have to complete a license conversion process. Flying off the hours is not a bad thing but the medical is a bit stringent. Basically have to maintain a class I medical including EKG and EEG. Good for a year and costs about $200. It takes only about 45 minutes to get up there by car including the border crossing so basically I have a choice to make.

Fly with the unstructor in the right seat to maintain currency and blow off the yearly class I or go the whole way and get the conversion done. Instructor is ~$15 / hr.

So here's a question for a legal beagle or Dr. Bruce - I have never taken a class I medical. I am pretty confident I can continue passing class III for the foreseeable future.

What happens if I take a medical for a foreign licensing and fail that foreign medical? Does the FAA care? Do I have to report the failure? What happens if you fail a class I and only need a class III?

I think I know the answers but I am interested in the discussion. I think the answer is that I don't want to take a medical for a class higher than I need to fly in the US. The risks are too high.

Final thought: If the photo comes through, here is what real airport security looks like. The Asian's don't mess around and I am sure they would pull the trigger if you tried to enter without asking nicely.

I will post more learnings about Asia flying soon. In the meantime I have about 500 posts to catch up on. Thank god it's a long weekend over here

Cheers!
Dan

Back