Update about AggieMike88

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by AggieMike88, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Dave Theisen

Dave Theisen En-Route PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Dave Theisen
    The airlines may view this incompleted training as a failure, but the corporate world will respect your decision to not spend any more of the company’s money if you knew you weren’t going to stay. You’ll be fine.

mondtster, TCABM and hindsight2020 like this.
  2. Brad Z

Brad Z Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Brad Z
    Life is too short to do a job you're not interested in. I am curious though, and perhaps for others benefit as well, what about the job was revealed to you in training that you were not aware about before you accepted the offer? I'm genuinely curious, as I am one of those people who considered the airlines at various moments in my life but opted to work in the industry flying a desk and limit my flying to personal fun flying. My UPS buddy tells me I make more take off and landings a year than he does by far.

mcdewey and Walboy like this.
  3. RussR

RussR En-Route

Display name:
    Russ
    Correct!

hindsight2020 likes this.
  4. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Mark
    No need to if you can do both jobs the way you want to. Apparently many do. He felt the job would keep him away from home more than he felt was important to the "dad job."

kayoh190 likes this.
  5. RussR

RussR En-Route

Display name:
    Russ
    @AggieMike88 , I wish you the best of luck in your new endeavors. I know that decision was not easy, given what you've been working on for the last few years. But if it's the right choice for you, it's the right choice for you.

I also am genuinely curious. I can "assume" a lot of typical reasons, but I'm wondering what ultimately turned you off to the whole career, especially given you were still in training and therefore hadn't fully seen the "real" airline life yet. I am 100% positive that airline flying is not for me, and so while from time to time I briefly entertain the idea in my head, I just as quickly dismiss the idea for many of the typical reasons.

6. murphey

murphey Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    murphey
    Because I fly only for fun, please explain this. Since Mike has no intentions of attempting/returning to 121, why does it matter?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
  7. dmspilot

dmspilot Final Approach

Display name:
    Blue nut of dough
    If you are not returning to 121, maybe it will, but it probably won't. But failing to complete training is a failure.

8. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    There is quite a bit of hyperbole present here.

Good luck Mike. It has been a pleasure getting to know you. Next time I get a DFW overnight I’ll give you a call.

MikeNY and TCABM like this.
  9. Kritchlow

Kritchlow Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Kritchlow
    I just don’t understand how anyone can judge the job by training. It’s two COMPLETELY different entities. Flying the line is a completely different world.

Ted, texasclouds, KA550 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    It’s not a failure. It’s an artifact of imperfect government regulation. Part of the PRIA law was requiring airlines to document failures. Subsequently the requirement was added to require tracking of any training event and the outcome. Quitting because you decide you don’t like the employer or job is not an available choice. It’s either successful completion or unsuccessful.

If Mike ever applies to a job that requires a PRIA records check they will see that he started training at Piedmont and did not complete the training. There will be no records of any failures because he didn’t fail anything. It will be nothing more than a question asked and easily answered.

MikeNY, dtuuri and TCABM like this.
  11. dmspilot

dmspilot Final Approach

Display name:
    Blue nut of dough
    It seems like you don't know how the industry works. If you are doing poorly, you will be asked to resign before you have a chance to officially fail anything. The airlines know how the game is played which is why they consider resigning during training to be a failure.

KA550 likes this.
  12. Zeldman

Zeldman Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Billy
    I did air ambulance for a number of years as well. I liked it because I felt like I was part of a team helping those that really needed help. I really enjoyed knowing when the phone rings I will have no idea where I am going. Then the ruff part like getting in from a trip at 2am, going home and taking a shower, then as I am laying down in my nice, warm bed, when the hair on my ear starts touching the fuzz on my pillow, the phone rings... up and out the door for another trip.

The really hard part was the kids, especially when they didn't make it. But mostly the job was rewarding, I felt good about myself, and it also put the fun back in flying.

13. aftCG

aftCG Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    aftCG
    I'm doing 135 in Alaska right now. I started with enough hours to go 121 but I don't want to. I'm loving the challenging flying and direct contact with people who, as you say, appreciate what I'm doing.
    I'll do it for as long as the world will let me
    PXL_20221029_194259533-01.jpeg
    PXL_20221028_182127111-01.jpeg

14. dtuuri

dtuuri En-Route

Display name:
    dtuuri
    Maybe these days, but before PRIA I resigned from United Airlines during my IOE after coming back from a long furlough and leave of absence to honor commitments I made during that time. They tried hard to dissuade me and gave me a discharge form with a box checked that recommended I be rehired if I ever reapplied for employment. Don't see why @AggieMike88 can't have such a thing too.

dmspilot likes this.
  15. Kritchlow

Kritchlow Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Kritchlow
    I’ve also done part 135 flying for a number of years. Most do not respect rest rules.
    It’s easy to get suckered in to the wrong rules set by the company.

16. saddletramp

saddletramp Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    saddletramp
    It's great that you did what was best for you. I simply love instructing. I instructed full time in my younger days, flew corporate & 135 for about seven years. I never was interested in the airlines & back in the 80's jobs were tough to get. After starting a family I quit flying & after a few different careers I spent around 30 years selling farm machinery. I liked it & it served me well financially. I retired two years ago.

A year & a half ago I went to work for a small FBO instructing again. Their business was a bit slow but now I'm swamped & we've hired two more instructors. I'm super glad that I returned to instructing & seem appreciated by my students. Most appreciate my experience & know I'm not leaving for a airline job. I also get to enjoy flying my own 182 too. You can't teach an old dog new tricsks...but an old dog can teach you to fly.

Brad Z, Sifossifoco and Zeldman like this.
  17. jordane93

jordane93 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Jordan
    I’m 100% sure that @Tarheelpilot knows how it works.

3393RP, RyanB, MikeNY and 1 other person like this.
  18. DavidWhite

DavidWhite Final Approach

Display name:
    DW
    69ing Monkeys! I’ve flown that plane and I bet @Zeldman has too. Is that the new PQS runway? Kinda looks like it. Guessing you’re on your way to Tunt or Kong in the first one.

PS: Mike you should go fly in Alaska

9152DC40-6F11-4CB0-BD89-D4BEAAA4DBB5.jpeg CDB71E6C-55F1-4978-A883-600B9E17CF5E.jpeg 6F89560B-320B-4C5E-97B0-D7BA27D135C2.jpeg C2C07E52-D3D2-45D9-9872-255152BA948F.jpeg 5602A19A-F503-48B7-AB38-3FF13B740780.jpeg 18241F06-8E69-4B9E-B6CA-FFA4BADCBA1F.jpeg F4ECDD73-E1A4-411B-8FA0-A6BEE566D871.jpeg 6A54C08F-0CBF-45E2-ABA8-7359D9147E86.jpeg AD3AE535-7266-43B4-8D11-28758EA84F20.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    flyingcheesehead and mcdewey like this.
  19. Zeldman

Display name:
    Billy
    Cool.!!

Where ya based at.??

20. murphey

murphey Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    murphey
    My dog hates to fly. He prefers I leave him at the doggy day care when I go flying. Hence we both get to have fun.

21. Aviatorbrew

Aviatorbrew Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Aviatorbrew
    Thank you.

one of my instructors went 121, decided it wasn’t for him either after a couple of weeks.

22. aftCG

aftCG Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    aftCG
    We call her Dirty Mike. Yes that was left base 04 PIlot Station. We were in the process of dropping 19k pounds of critical cargo (pizza rolls, gatorade, frozen waffles and the like) on the ramp from St Mary's. Lots of very short flights. I call it PKA/WNA with a view.
    In the other one I was headed from Scammon Bay to Hooper Bay, which was just under the dark shelf in the distance (that weather had just blown over and was headed away, so it wasn't as sketchy as it looks).
    PXL_20221027_180645970.jpg On the ramp, PIlot Station during my most recent shift
    PXL_20221022_003802954-01.jpeg Goodnews Bay, just before the weather changed
    PXL_20221024_195739860-01.jpeg Because no adult supervision.

jordane93 and TCABM like this.
  23. aftCG

aftCG Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    aftCG
    YCS

24. Zeldman

Display name:
    Billy
    Thanks for the pictures, that brings back some fond and not so fond memories.

I had to go way back in the log book but yes, looks like I flew 69M out of Aniak back in the spring of '98... It was not GPS equipped and not IFR, so no IFR flying in it....;);)

25. TommyG

TommyG Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Tom
    That is exactly the truth. Myself and a handful of other pilots feel the same way.

26. Dana

Dana En-Route

Display name:
    Dana
    When I was learning to fly or shortly thereafter, an airline pilot said to me, "I can see how much you love flying. Do yourself a favor and don't ever do it for a living."

But I had already read Richard Bach's Paradise is a Personal Thing:

"...I idly asked about the life of an airline pilot.

"Not a bad life at all. You feel guilty, after a couple of years, taking home a paycheck that size for doing something that you consider the best-possible fun. Naturally, you should be a good company man, that's only right. Your shoes are shined and your tie is tied. You follow all regulations, of course, and you join the union, and you keep your hair cut per company policy, and it is not wise to suggest improvements in flying technique to pilots longer employed than yourself.

"The list went on, but about that time I began to feel strange little gnawings from within, from the inner man. Why, I could have the greatest attitude in the world for learning the airplane and its systems, I could strive harder than anybody to train uncanny abilities in controlling the machine, could fly it with absolute precision. But if my hair wasn't policy-short, then I wouldn't be quite the perfect man for the job. And if I refused to carry the union card, oddly enough, I wouldn't be a good company man. And if I ever told the captain how to fly...

"The more I listened, the more I found out... I wouldn't make a good airline pilot, after all, and with a born suspicion of all company policies, I would most likely be a terrible airline pilot.

"So I returned to my little biplane and I changed the oil and started the engine and taxied out to fly, collar unbuttoned, shoes all scuffed, hair two weeks uncut..."

Everskyward, Zeldman, murphey and 3 others like this.
  27. aftCG

aftCG Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    aftCG
    Yep. Still has never seen the inside of a cloud. Or ice.

Zeldman likes this.
  28. Albany Tom

Albany Tom Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Albany Tom
    Change the words of Bach's bit around a little, and it sounds like a few engineers I knew in the late 80's working for GE CRD and IBM Fishkill. It takes big business to make interesting thing mind numbingly tedious.

29. Dana

Dana En-Route

Display name:
    Dana
    Yup, I worked at Sikorsky for a short time in the late 80s. It was a miserable experience. Next job was a two bit company with 20 employees, they went broke after a few years but it was a lot of fun while it lasted.

Albany Tom likes this.
  30. cowtowner

cowtowner Pre-takeoff checklist PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Cowtowner
    Simuflite is begging for instructors. Have a couple of buddies over there and they are losing guys to the airlines (generally for their sim training) daily.

TCABM likes this.
  31. TCABM

TCABM En-Route

Display name:
    3G
    FSI has the same challenges I hear.

32. Everskyward

Everskyward Experimenter

Display name:
    Everskyward
    I would have been a terrible airline pilot, and unhappy. So I didn't. Even though many, many people told me that I should apply.

33. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
    Do you have any inside contacts to share?

34. CJones

CJones Final Approach

Display name:
    uHaveNoIdea

Thread creep...

I've seen this on various 'flying in Alaska' shows but never knew for sure..

What is this doo-dad for? My guesses are that it's there to prevent snow/ice buildup on the tires? Maybe a very durable mud/rock flap to keep gravel out of the elevator? Maybe a hard attach point for skis or floats?
    upload_2022-11-15_9-31-45.png

35. kayoh190

kayoh190 Administrator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Kayoh@190
    I think the airline gig eventually works for a lot of folks, but it's obviously not for everyone. I've found there's a tendency for pilots (or just people in general?) to think that what works for them should work for others, which of course is not the case. I'm always happy when people figure this stuff out early - the worst guys to fly with are the ones that never did. :)

schmookeeg and Everskyward like this.
  36. kayoh190

kayoh190 Administrator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Kayoh@190
    It was a TIC comment - I definitely understand! Saying good night to my daughter via FaceTime suuuucks. I had a late start on the kiddo thing, which has the advantage of seniority allowing me to be home substantially more than someone just getting started - especially at the regional level. There are several disadvantages too, but they're beyond the scope of the thread. ;)

37. DavidWhite

DavidWhite Final Approach

Display name:
    DW
    It’s the first step to get into the airplane for people who can’t read. The second one is usually the strut fairing.

They’re combo mud/gravel flaps. They do help quite a bit.

CJones likes this.
  38. Zeldman

Display name:
    Billy
    It is a gravel guard. We call it mud flap, like on trucks. After landing and applying brakes, gravel will be kicked up from the tire into the leading edge of the elevator. Also on muddy landing surfaces mud will be kicked up onto the bottom of the wing. It helps stop the damage.

I have seen planes with the leading edge of the tail feathers absolutely beat to snot.

kayoh190, CJones and texasclouds like this.
  39. Matthew

Matthew Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Matthew
    Our local FBO had 2 rentals that had been a part of a fish and wildlife agency somewhere in a previous life. They spent a lot of time on gravel strips and yes, the leading edges on those tail surfaces were really beat up.

40. aftCG

aftCG Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    aftCG
    PXL_20221021_005603499-01.jpeg
    I can't find my picture of the bottom of the wing (I'll have a new one in the next day or so).
    Those devices do a great job of keeping rocks from beating the tail to pulp but they don't do jack for mud.

CJones and kayoh190 like this.