Unusual Starter

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
Had a Champ stop in yesterday that had a starter arrangement I hadn't seen before. The starter ring gear was bolted on externally between the prop and the cowling. There was no starter on the engine. There was a shaft that went through into the cockpit where the pilot used an 18 Volt battery powered drill motor to drive the shaft. He said that it was an STC'd arrangement. It turned the engine very slowly but it worked.

There is an STC for that system. It is the only way to add an electric starter to an A-65. If the installation wasn't butt-ugly, they would probably sell a lot of 'em.

Sounds like unnecessary weight.
Yep, it's too bad most light airplanes have to carry two starters. Hard to get folks interested in hand-propping these days, though.

Ron Wanttaja

What a way to ruin a Champ. I learned to fly in a Champ. I was a 15 year old student pilot who had to prop my own plane before the lesson. The instructor didn't do it. :)

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
2AZ1

What a way to ruin a Champ. I learned to fly in a Champ. I was a 15 year old student pilot who had to prop my own plane before the lesson. The instructor didn't do it. :)

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
2AZ1

There may be a little difference between a 15 year old and a 70 year old.

An A65 with impulse coupling is about the easiest engine to start out there. I regular started one with just two fingers on the prop. If you can move he prop you can start it.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I understand the comments about how easily the engine is started and how a starter detracts from the charm of an older plane. however it strikes me that, with this system, the pilot is on the brakes and doesn't need to figure out how they will tie the tail at a variety of airports to keep the plane from flying off.

Back