Unusual Rentals

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
It seems like there's plenty of C152/C172/PA28 type airplanes for rent, and a fair number of Cirruses, PA32's, etc.

What airplanes do you know of that can be rented and aren't generally available in many places? Here are some examples:

* Stearman At 9N1 (Van Sant, in PA)

* J-3 Cub and Super Cub on skis in the winter at KCAD (Cadillac, MI)

* C421 and Pilatus PC-12 at KDPA (West Chicago, IL)

What other unusual rentals are out there?

FRG in Long Island has the following at various FBO's:
Mooney M20J
Aviat Husky
Tecnam's
Grumman Cougar

Attitude Aviation in Livermore (LVK) has an impressive list including a Great Lakes, a Waco and a T6 but when it comes to actually renting the thing to fly on your own I think that list gets trimmed significantly.

There is a Corvalis for rent around here.

AFAIK, in the USA theres only one Champ (at KSDM) and one C140 (at C77) available for SOLO rental. And happily, I have rented both of them.:D

Hmmm. Looks like they don't have the Taylorcraft at ADG any more, but they do have a Luscombe.

Attitude Aviation in Livermore (LVK) has an impressive list including a Great Lakes, a Waco and a T6 but when it comes to actually renting the thing to fly on your own I think that list gets trimmed significantly.

I instructed there. You can rent all of those solo. The Pitts S2c as well.

We had a club with a Cessna 170, Cessna 180, and my Navion out of IAD. We were thinking of replacing one of the Arrows with some light warbirds (L-19 for sure and possibly something like a T-6).

Downtown Aviation in Memphis/Olive Branch rents a Stearman for a reasonable rate.

http://downtownaviation.com/Pricing.html

It's dual only. I highly recommend anybody coming through the area do it though. Flying with Dr. Ray is great. They also have a Super Decathlon. It's not on the list, but there's a T-6 you can schedule for some time in too. My only aerobatic experience has been with Dr. Ray in his T-6 and I'll never forget that.

Sky Arrows at Chesapeake Sport Pilot at Bay Bridge W29. Only about 30 in the States and they have two for rent. Visibility is absolutely stunning.

7150382373_0b668d5e9d_z.jpg

If Tecnams are considered exotic, they also have three Eaglets and a Sierra. I learned to fly in the Eaglets--great planes!

Columbia 400 at Leesburg JYO. Cougar there too.

Well we have a Skycatcher. Is that considered unusual? Center and flight service sure don't remember what they are. Yesterday we were even upgraded to a Golden Eagle!

AFAIK, in the USA theres only one Champ (at KSDM) and one C140 (at C77) available for SOLO rental. And happily, I have rented both of them.:D

Sorry(?), but we have a Champ 7AC at Clow, and it's available for solo too. We also have a Waco, but it is no longer available for instruction or, I expect, solo rental; just sightseeing.

Sorry(?), but we have a Champ 7AC at Clow, and it's available for solo too. We also have a Waco, but it is no longer available for instruction or, I expect, solo rental; just sightseeing.
Hm, I knew about that plane, but didn't realize they turned it loose for solo flight. Good for them!
Nothing exotic about old 2-seat taildraggers, but they sure are rare for solo rental these days. :sad:

There actually used to be a group in California that if you did their Type Rating course, you could check out their DC-3 ('Rose') and rent it for yourself (obviously not 'solo' but you could use your own second pilot). Sadly, they sold Rose a few years ago and she is now down in South America hauling freight.

I think John Travolta rented a Boeing 707 before he bought it, but I doubt it was a club plane.

There is a flying club in CVH that has a T-6 and a P-51. My buddy belongs to it.

Back