Unsupervised Taxi

Hiperbiper

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Chris Carlson
Is there a reg that forbids a non-pilot taxi-ing an airplane in a non-movement area, private strip or uncontrolled field?. What about across a movent area with tower permission?
Assume the intent is not flight. Just point A to point B.
Also assume this is in reference to CFR14 only; no insurance company involved...

The questions that come up in casual lunch conversation are odd..:wink2:

Chris

Nah. Non-pilot mechanics do it. You have to have a license to FLY, not to move it around.

...but the person taxiing that plane would still be responsible for obeying all the regulations pertaining to such operation, which could be a problem if they haven't at least had some training from a qualified instructor on what those rules are.

During my training my instructor asked me to toss one of his very low time students in the right seat and taxi his plane back for him. I was convinced I had broken some law until I looked it up. Was surprised that literally anyone can legally taxi.

...but the person taxiing that plane would still be responsible for obeying all the regulations pertaining to such operation, which could be a problem if they haven't at least had some training from a qualified instructor on what those rules are.

Some companies require the person to have a taxi permit before they can turn up or taxi the aircraft.

Just like the military.

Some companies require the person to have a taxi permit before they can turn up or taxi the aircraft.

Just like the military.
I don't know why, but that just reminded me of a Grampaw Petibone column where he was discussing a F-14 brake-rider who got stuck inside the aircraft (canopy would not open) and rather than wait for his shipmates to get the gear to manually open the canopy from the outside.......he blew the canopy!

I don't know why, but that just reminded me of a Grampaw Petibone column where he was discussing a F-14 brake-rider who got stuck inside the aircraft (canopy would not open) and rather than wait for his shipmates to get the gear to manually open the canopy from the outside.......he blew the canopy!

In the case of the civil companies it is a CYA thing because they don't want the damage to occur so they train, and control who turns the engines and taxis the aircraft.

Boeing is a good example, would you want the newest employee driving a new 787 around?

At most towered airports no "license" would be required but many do require that anyone operating a "vehicle" in a movement area receive training from an "authorized source" first. This applies to the guy driving the fuel truck, a contractor working on equipment in the movement area, an airport maintenance worker, or a line guy driving a two vehicle across the airport. Seems that they'd require the same of anyone taxiing an airplane but AFaIK the rules at my home base assume that anyone at the controls of an airplane have at least a student pilot certificate or a CFI on board.

Of course that only applies to movement areas, in non-movement areas the only rules would be security stuff.

At most towered airports no "license" would be required but many do require that anyone operating a "vehicle" in a movement area receive training from an "authorized source" first. This applies to the guy driving the fuel truck, a contractor working on equipment in the movement area, an airport maintenance worker, or a line guy driving a two vehicle across the airport. Seems that they'd require the same of anyone taxiing an airplane but AFaIK the rules at my home base assume that anyone at the controls of an airplane have at least a student pilot certificate or a CFI on board.

Of course that only applies to movement areas, in non-movement areas the only rules would be security stuff.
I happen to know that controlled airports have plans reviewed and approved by the FCC that include training standards for ground operations in the movement area.

So what happens when you get ramp checked by an FAA inspector and he finds out you aren't licensed? How would he honestly know you had no intentions of trying to fly the plane?

So what happens when you get ramp checked by an FAA inspector and he finds out you aren't licensed? How would he honestly know you had no intentions of trying to fly the plane?
Ummm... you stopped? Without flying? That would be the first clue.

Doesn't matter. If you didn't, you don't have to be rated. It's an air powered car. With really crappy steering and brakes. ;)

Thanks for the replies.
A cross section of these replies is about the same as we came up with...not illegal but maybe not the smartest thing to do without any training what-so-ever.

Our lunch discussion did not devolve into including any 1970's AMC products in the conversion but we'll try harder next time...!:rolleyes2:

Chris @ DTN

Back