Unsafe Flight- Watch it HERE!

Watched that with open jaws and disbelief. I certainly hope that the FAA found that to be enough evidence to yank his certificate with an emergency revocation!

Freeze the video at about :53 seconds into it....chilling...

Attachments

• UTUBE IDIOT.doc
    349 KB · Views: 624
Last edited:
Its nice that he cut the N-NUmber out.

Either way, that guys an idiot. Jesus.

Wow. Not a "good wow", either.

Beyond issues with basic piloting technique, the buzzing of people is inexcusable.

Freeze the video at about :53 seconds into it....chilling...

attachment.php

Attachments

• UnderTheWires.JPG
    UnderTheWires.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,217
My guess is they didn't fly like that during trainig/checkride. A checkride is just a snapshot in time, and apparently not one taken during this flight.

So what would be the FAA's opinion if the cameraman were to let them view this? Would they say "nothin' we can do, we weren't there" or would thay take action?

So what would be the FAA's opinion if the cameraman were to let them view this? Would they say "nothin' we can do, we weren't there" or would thay take action?

Only one way to find out.

Report it to the FSDO:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/index.cfm?state=MT&x=6&y=8

This happened at Powers Ranch at Laurel, MT, based on the other videos from the same day and user. This would be in MT's jurisdiction.

And yes, I sent them a link to it. Call me a rat if you like, but I'd rather that than read that he spun it into a playground and killed some kids.

Kinda looks like Cedar Mills (or Gaston's) on a typical weekend. What's the big deal?

That plane has it's own channel on YouTube, with Viking Air in Montana. When it says "I", it's the plane, personified.

http://www.youtube.com/user/n79079

I have been with Viking Air, Inc. in Billings and Red Lodge MT USA for three years now. About 7 people have gotten their private pilot's license training with me, and many other just like to take me out for a spin every so often.

Name: N79079

That plane has it's own channel on YouTube, with Viking Air in Montana. When it says "I", it's the plane, personified.

http://www.youtube.com/user/n79079

I have been with Viking Air, Inc. in Billings and Red Lodge MT USA for three years now. About 7 people have gotten their private pilot's license training with me, and many other just like to take me out for a spin every so often.

Name: N79079

"In 2008, two of our customers were able to complete their training and pass their private pilot checkrides for less than $5000."
http://www.comeflywithvikingair.com/

I wonder if one of those guys was the one flying in the video?

Bad PR aside, as long as he only kills himself I guess it's all a wash anyways.

Bad PR aside, as long as he only kills himself I guess it's all a wash anyways.
Well not so much. That airplane is a rental aircraft. He could be the owner or he could be a renter. It is a likely assumption that the aircraft is insured and regardless of who is flying it when he crashes the insurance company will be paying out something to someone. The result could be higher costs to all insurance holders.

It could also adversely affect some people's training who use that aircraft and the bad publicity reflects on all of us making that pilot's actions a potential weapon in anti-airport people, more security for GA people, and people who just do not like airplanes in general. While killing himself may help clean the gene pool a little there is a far greater downside than an upside. I also took the liberty of sending the link to the company that owns that aircraft and asked to take a look at how their property is being used and viewed by the public.

I see your point, Scott. That's why I said bad PR aside. As far as the company losing the aircraft, perhaps a more thourough checkout program is in order. But with that, I contradict my earlier staement about a checkride just being a snapshot. I guess the solution would be revocation of his certificate. I have a feeling that would not stop him from flying irresponsibly or dangerously. He'd just have to find another means of doing it. Kinda like the kid up here in AK that flipped his dad's Super Cub in a river while trying to hydroplane to a landing on a sandbar. No ticket didn't stop him from being dumb.

Since this thread is seeming to make all the boards, I'll just quote my response from the Red Board...

It's actually very typical flying for cattle mustering. That too is done down on the deck, flaps deployed and near minimum controllable airspeed. I didn't see anything done in that video that isn't done by working pilots on a routine basis around the world. Since you have no clue as to the pilots background, perhaps all this commentary is a bit over the top. I didn't see anything done that I haven't spent entire days doing including flying under the wires.

As for all the "Punch his lights out" and "Whistle Blowing".... well, that makes me sick... The fact is he did nothing particularly dangerous and he was always positioned for making a safe landing. That so many people considered this so dangerous leads me to question the knowledge and abilities of those making the comments.

Last edited:
Since this thread is seeming to make all the boards, I'll just quote my response from the Red Board...

As for all the "Punch his lights out" and "Whistle Blowing".... well, that makes me sick... The fact is he did nothing particularly dangerous and he was always positioned for making a safe landing. That so many people considered this so dangerous leads me to question the knowledge and abilities of those making the comments.

Well, I hope you're right and he was just demonstrating his slow-flight skills, but he alarmed at least a few people on the ground at the airport (whom he buzzed). If he truly were in complete control of the plane during the flight, then I gotta give him credit...slow flight with steep turns at extremely low altitude takes nerve and skill far beyond what most pilots possess.

Henning,

How many folks do those sorts of things in a rented 172? I'm guessing approximately none. Sure, it *could* be the best pilot in the world, but I think the chances are much higher that this is just some idiot who doesn't know what the hell he's doing. :(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back