Unofficial official briefing

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
Called FSS yesterday morning and got the obligatory 20 minute hold. When a briefer finally responded, he said they were on a "backup of a backup system" and he wasn't sure what he could do for me, but he would try. Allrightythen. A few key clicks, and he said, "Now, the information I'm about to give you is not for navigation. It says that in big red letters right here." Hmm. So then he told me his life story about having served in the military in Jacksonville, but that was a while ago and he's heard it's grown a lot since then. Can we get back to the briefing? Oh yeah. And then this gem: "Any notams I could give you are unreliable. I suggest you check them before you leave." Duh! That's what I'm doing!!!! I'm at the friggin airport!!!!

Call me irresponsible, but the weather was relatively benign, so I just filed a flight plan with him, hung up and got the rest of the info I needed off the 496.

It's gonna get worse before it gets better. Where's the user fee proponents on this issue? It seems to me flight service providing weather is of much more importance. I never have an issue reaching a controller... just getting the weather before I depart.

Call me irresponsible, but the weather was relatively benign, so I just filed a flight plan with him, hung up and got the rest of the info I needed off the 496.

I think this is where we will be pushed, each pilot to do his/her own weather brief on the internet, then rely on 496/stormscope in the air instead of flightwatch.

pushed? most are already there. I found it interesting at Oshkosh it seemed that the flight service briefers were surfing aviationweather.gov right along with the pilots. hell i can read a TAF with the best of them. FSS is quickly being degraded to a NOTAM and TFR service.

Unfortunatly, many of us don't have/can't afford a GPS even close to a 496.

I had a slightly similar experience a while back. The only phone I had with me at the moment was a cell phone and of course with cell phones you have to call the direct number to FSS. I was of course a good pilot and had the local number but when I called, the answering machine said they had basically closed up shop and Dallas took over. They left no forwarding number. So up the creek without a paddle, I called the traditional 1800 WX Brief and since my cell was from florida, it transferred me to the Gainsville FSS....from Oklahoma. He was quite stunned at my slight confusion and said he wasn't sure what he could tell me but he'd try. The only thing I could get from him was what I could have seen on a basic US weather radar map because it wasn't his area. He told me in his opinion, I'm good to go. I asked him if he knew the direct number to Dallas or maybe even where I could find it, and he didn't. I went with Ken's plan as well only in the fact that I wasn't going far and it looked clear VFR except for some scattered clouds every now and then. The flight went fine but I have yet to learn where I can find those numbers to call FSS, I've been using the computer (most are local flights).

Last edited:
As far as relying on age of Wx data via XM, what's the potential age? I don't think I would rely on it to that degree.

We have the perfect Catch-22 where only a briefing from an FSS is official and they can give you an unofficial briefing.

So NOTAM: Every flight you make comes with a built-in FAR violation. :hairraise:

We better just hang it up and fly the airlines. :mad:

As far as relying on age of Wx data via XM, what's the potential age? I don't think I would rely on it to that degree.

It gives you the age. Usually no more than 5-20 minutes.

For me, FSS has become my last, not first, choice for getting a preflight briefing. DUATS and WSI VectorBrief have all the information (including TFR's and NOTAMs), so about the only time I call FSS any more is when the airport has no computer briefing station and no way to link my laptop to the internet.

For me, FSS has become my last, not first, choice for getting a preflight briefing. DUATS and WSI VectorBrief have all the information (including TFR's and NOTAMs), so about the only time I call FSS any more is when the airport has no computer briefing station and no way to link my laptop to the internet.
Yeah, in my multitasking world, I have gotten into the horrible habit of getting my briefings in the car on the way to the airport. Guess I need to rethink that on a number of levels.

The unfortunate part of all this, is I did reach a briefer on my way to the Bahamas (Called from Vero Beach). Storm cells on three sides of the airport, but none to the east. I asked about turbulence and and problem with departing east. He strongly suggested I not depart. Storms everywhere!! Just stay there until they pass through. I did get him to take a flight plan; fast walked to the plane and immediately departed. Not a bump! Little bit of rain for a couple miles; then, clear as a bell.

I'm getting where I don't trust their judgment sometimes when I do reach them! I have asked about rapidly developing stuff, top info, NOTAMS and latest PIREPS if I'll be climbing on top, but most of the other stuff, I just don't feel I can rely on a non-pilot that doesn't know my plane or capabilities. I do like it when they relate factual information for me to consider; many of them take it upon themselves to make strong personal recommendations like DON'T GO!!.

Best,

Dave

Heck, the other day a Ninety-Nine called the briefer. She got through, but they failed to give her what I would consider a fairly important NOTAM:
the destination airport was closed! She did call back later and talked with a supervisor, and I hope that the briefer will receive remedial training. Luckily, there were a number of people going on the flyout, and some did receive the NOTAM and disseminated it amongst themselves.

The unfortunate part of all this, is I did reach a briefer on my way to the Bahamas (Called from Vero Beach). Storm cells on three sides of the airport, but none to the east. I asked about turbulence and and problem with departing east. He strongly suggested I not depart. Storms everywhere!! Just stay there until they pass through. I did get him to take a flight plan; fast walked to the plane and immediately departed. Not a bump! Little bit of rain for a couple miles; then, clear as a bell.

I'm getting where I don't trust their judgment sometimes when I do reach them! I have asked about rapidly developing stuff, top info, NOTAMS and latest PIREPS if I'll be climbing on top, but most of the other stuff, I just don't feel I can rely on a non-pilot that doesn't know my plane or capabilities. I do like it when they relate factual information for me to consider; many of them take it upon themselves to make strong personal recommendations like DON'T GO!!.

Best,

Dave

You must have gotten the same one that sent you over LIT when you were going from ADS to gastons.....

Back