Unleaded price passes 100LL

AirBaker said:
We just ditched our '04 Tahoe for gas reasons. We got a honda accord V6 coupe instead. We're now much happier to get 23mpg instead of 15mpg.

The way people drive around here. I'm not getting into one of those tiny little car thingys Frank! :)

Or you could get a Jetta diesel and get 40+ mpg. The big V8 diesels still get over 25, and you can drive at the legal speed without worrying about being run over.

Then again, if that caught on, diesel fuel would be $4.00. Shhh!

Albro said:
Did anyone watch a TV show a few days ago - I think on one of the Discovery channels - that was called "Cool Fuel"? The jist of it all was meant to direct attention to the growing interest in alternative fuels being used by people to power all sorts of vehicles using biodeisel variations and ethanol - cycles, cars, motor homes - and especially one guy flying his 1982 Mooney on ethanol! Big interest displayed in these alternative fuels, it seems, that will probably be seen at your local gas station in the near future. Biodiesel seems to be the front runner and I was wondering about that ethanol. Wasn't there a problem with that stuff "gumming" up engines?

I don't have a problem with alternative fuels, or using them, but my problem is that there is NO oil shortage in the world... poor planning and greed is the problem... from the government, all the way down to the consumer! Everyone wants clean air, but the simple fact it we NEED fuel to drive our economy, as well as cars/planes.

I think alt fuels could possibly be in our future,but it will be a good 10 years or so... yesh I know SOME people are trying alt fuel NOW, but to get to a large scale where even 20 percent of the population is using it is another thing all together.

I don't own a car, and the only time I set foot in something which runs on the roads is when I take the bus out to the airport. Most of the cities in our country are poorly designed, and people are too lazy to walk. (Might explain why obesity is a problem here too.) I have a 20-25 min. walk to school, and love it, even when it is freezing. Unfortunately this attitude doesn't extend to most of the country. In NJ where I fly, I need to take a 20 min. walk from the bus stop to the airport. This wouldn't be a problem if there were sidewalks, and people actually gave a little bit of common courtesy to pedestrians. (You are supposed to stop before turning right on red for a reason!) Walking out there is a nightmare.
I'm not looking forward to needing a car when I move south, but for right now I hope that the high gas prices will encourage a little bit of increased interest in public transit, and walking friendly communities. Besides living in a place where you can walk is just so much better! (On my commute I get to check out girls, never get stuck in traffic, get exercise, and when I'm stuck at a red light, I get to window shop!) It doesn't take a whole lot of new technology blah blah to reduce our dependence on oil, all we need are better designed communities, which allow people rely less on their cars; if you only drive the car on weekends, you burn a whole lot less gas.

Rob,
I miss walking everywhere when I was in school. However, now living 7 miles uphill from the nearest bus stop, it would be difficult. Not many neighbors here to carpool with either.

But then again, I bet I have a shorter commute than 95% of the population in the SF Bay Area. :)

tom. said:
Then again, if that caught on, diesel fuel would be $4.00. Shhh!

Diesel is already ~$0.60/gal higher than it should be if it was still based on a profit percentage. Stations that sell both are subsidizing gasoline with diesel (ie, charge more for diesel so they can charge less for gasoline).

While this may be popular because people think they're getting a better deal on gasoline, this is NOT good for ANYBODY. When the price of diesel goes up, EVERYONE pays, you just don't realize it.

Every product you buy has been on a truck at some point in its life, and almost everything has been on multiple trucks. For instance, I used to work for a company that did a lot of work for the beer industry. I hauled loads of scrap aluminum from recycling centers to metal processors, loads of glass bottles from glass companies to breweries, and loads of beer from the brewery to the distributor where it went on another truck to get to the liquor store. So, figure raw materials to the manufacturer (and the packaging mfr, and the packaging to the product mfr), products to distribution centers, distribution centers to stores.

Right now I'm carrying a load of paper with two stops (Mt. Joy, PA and Pennsauken, NJ). Yesterday, I dropped a load of those little microwave sleeves that you cook Hot Pockets in at Nestle in Mt. Sterling, KY. Last week, it was packaging for Hershey's Chocolate Pudding, some items that had been returned to Menards stores, some Kraft mac&cheese, paint, and envelopes.

It's easy when you see that big box going down the road to forget that there are real products inside. You buy these products every day, and YOU are paying for the diesel fuel being burned to get it there. When that gallon of milk you bought at the grocery store last week for $2.19 costs $2.39 this week, chances are the price of diesel played a part in the increase.

So, get mad when diesel goes up too!

fgcason said:
Today: $55 to fill up the jeep and it wasn't even empty. GAK! :eek: :eek: :hairraise: :hairraise: Being robbed is no fun.

No kidding. One quart of oil and a fillup on my freakin' 4-banger Honda the other day was $48. :eek:

infotango said:
I hope that the high gas prices will encourage a little bit of increased interest in public transit

Unfortunately, Americans as a whole seem to believe it's our God-given RIGHT to drive, and we must exercise that right whenever possible. :dunno:

I must admit, I use my car more than I probably should. Unfortunately, for me to get from home to the airport would take ~1.5 hours each way on the bus plus about another 45 minutes of walking. I don't have that kind of spare time! :no: That's a big problem in the US these days - We're always in too much of a hurry, and biking/walking/riding the bus takes too much time.

Now, in big cities with better public transit systems, that's a different story. When there's some sort of rail system that makes a big difference. Washington, DC's subway is excellent. BART (SFO) is pretty good too.

Unfortunately, the other factor is that some of the folks you run into on public transit are unsavory characters and people don't want to deal with them. In Madison a couple of years ago, someone got on a bus with a 5-gallon gas can, dumped it all over and lit the bus on fire. :hairraise:

I just wish the airport was a little closer (1/2 hr drive), I'd ride my bike more! If I had a plane I'd keep it at C29 (5 min drive/15 min bike) and ride my bike. Unfortunately, everywhere I need to go on a regular basis is on the east side, and I live on the west side. :dunno: When I move back to Milwaukee, I'll have to decide whether to live a good biking distance from campus, or a good biking distance from the airport. :dunno:

Well, I was having a decent morning until I saw the bill for fuel from my last trip! Million Air here at Addison now charges a transient rate of $5.94!! While I do get an on-field discount, it was almost $5 bucks to me.

Ain't life grand!!

========================================================================

BTW, when I left Donaldson last Monday to return to Dallas, interesting discussion with the lady preparing my fuel bill.

She said, fuel went up again and we should have raised our rate before preparing your bill.

I asked why my bill would have anything to do with the rates going up since the time my tanks were filled (filled up five days before).

She said, oh, we always raise all the bills when the rates go up!

I said, you should only be raising up when you re-fill your tanks.

Oh, no, we get way behind then!

Geesh!!

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Well, I was having a decent morning until I saw the bill for fuel from my last trip! Million Air here at Addison now charges a transient rate of $5.94!! While I do get an on-field discount, it was almost $5 bucks to me.

You'll be stopping at LZZ next time... $3.46 a gallon.

T89's still at $3.50. My home base (Stinson) is $3.85.

Dave Siciliano said:
She said, oh, we always raise all the bills when the rates go up!

I said, you should only be raising up when you re-fill your tanks.

Oh, no, we get way behind then!

Geesh!!

Dave

The self serve fuel partnership at one of the fields here does that. Basically they want to make sure they have enough cash to buy that next load of fuel.

Back