Universal Studios Hollywood fly-in. Any tips?

jconway2002

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jconway2002
My brother is coming from the east coast to visit me in February, and I expect to have a freshly minted pilot certificate ready to take us somewhere when he does. We have talked about going to Universal Studios in the past, but the drive from San Diego has always deterred us from doing it. I was thinking this time maybe we could fly into Bob Hope, Santa Monica, or Van Nuys. Do any of these airports offer courtesy cars? Has anyone done something similar to what I am hoping to do?

Whiteman is pretty easy to fly into and is only about five miles from Burbank. There aren't any rental cars there, though, so you might be better off sucking up the extra fees at Burbank.

If driving is a problem for you in SoCal, you need more help than we can give on a web forum.

Anyway, I don't recall any courtesy cars anywhere in the valley. Whiteman is the best bet for a new pilot. Be prepared with your radio procedures. Cab to Univ studios, or Enterprise will pick you up. You can go to BUR but I think the parking rates are pretty high. Same with VNY. If you're thinking of SMO, you might as well drive from Sandy Eggo, the commute from SMO to Univ studios will be about the same...

I did a cab ride from Whiteman once and it took the driver about an hour to find me. It could have been that driver, though. Pretty crazy, considering he had a portable GPS.

If driving is a problem for you in SoCal, you need more help than we can give on a web forum.

Anyway, I don't recall any courtesy cars anywhere in the valley. Whiteman is the best bet for a new pilot. Be prepared with your radio procedures. Cab to Univ studios, or Enterprise will pick you up. You can go to BUR but I think the parking rates are pretty high. Same with VNY. If you're thinking of SMO, you might as well drive from Sandy Eggo, the commute from SMO to Univ studios will be about the same...
Might have changed in the last couple years, but I flew in/out of KBUR via Atlantic, and they provided us a courtesy car for the whole day. Seemed like an awfully easy drive to Universal Studios No extra fees, but that was probably due to the fuel purchase. Give them a call beforehand. If you can plan it out to get some fuel, you might save money even by paying a bit more per gallon in fuel vs. paying for a rental car or cab.

Might have changed in the last couple years, but I flew in/out of KBUR via Atlantic, and they provided us a courtesy car for the whole day. Seemed like an awfully easy drive to Universal Studios No extra fees, but that was probably due to the fuel purchase. Give them a call beforehand. If you can plan it out to get some fuel, you might save money even by paying a bit more per gallon in fuel vs. paying for a rental car or cab.

Good to know. I guess like you said, give Atlantic a call and see what they can do. BUR is a nice place, but they used to be kinda hostile to GA. Looks like that changed. Thanks for the update.

Good to know. I guess like you said, give Atlantic a call and see what they can do. BUR is a nice place, but they used to be kinda hostile to GA. Looks like that changed. Thanks for the update.
Again, it's been a while, but the controllers there were vextremly accommodating and nice. Vectoring us for a bit of extra sight-seeing around the area, as well as joking with us about our tiny plane (172P). I would just suggest being on a flight plan when you depart, that way you're giving them a bit of a heads up that you're gonna be taking a bit more time. And if they don't like it, that's their problem. The NAS is for our use, and controllers there to assist us. We pay good money to be able to use public airports.

Yup, can't do much else besides just giving them a call. I've been surprised how often I've gotten handling fee waived, even without a fuel purchase, just by calling ahead and talking to someone. I generally just plead my case that I don't require any assistance of any kind, and will park out of their way. Just that I need a tie-down and a door to access the ramp. I think that for the most part, they realize getting a satisfied customer will make them money and a better reputation in the long run, verses trying to squeeze every penny out of us GA guys.

"Hi! I need a bit of ramp space in the busiest airspace in the world, a courtesy car, and won't be purchasing any fuel..."

Good luck with that :)

buy their fuel . . . let them give you a ride over the Universal - and pick you up.

Atlantic is great operation. Be nice, call ahead, buy some fuel to get home. You'll be amazed how nice they are - especially in Burbank . . .

It a 12 min drive right down Vineland from Atlantic - the thing is, you ask them for a ride over to universal for the day and they may just offer you the crew car. Now, would you put gas in the crew car or is that outside your normal standards? Flying is expensive, don't be a cheap SOB when you land. Its like $10 to a ramp guy for taking care of your airplane, or fueling well, or whatever, and buying the FBO's fuel - etc - goes a long way toward ensuring that the benefits of Atlantic and even Signature remain available to us.

I can't see how driving would be a problem... I live in Central Cali in Tulare County by the Sierra's and drive the 4 hours to SD every year and it's not that bad of a drive really.

"Hi! I need a bit of ramp space in the busiest airspace in the world, a courtesy car, and won't be purchasing any fuel..."

Ha!!

That makes me wonder...if I am renting an airplane at a wet hourly rate, can I fuel it up anywhere I please?

I'm gonna clarify: I have never asked for it for free. As posted above, I have no problem paying for these great services. Just saying they have often been offered for free when discussing on the phone.

Ha!!

That makes me wonder...if I am renting an airplane at a wet hourly rate, can I fuel it up anywhere I please?
Generally your rental agreement will outline that. You can almost always fill up wherever, but the amount to be reimbursed will differ. I've rented from places that will reimburse full cost, and other that will only reimburse up to what their normal fuel cost is. Just have to check your rental agreement or give them a call.

I can't see how driving would be a problem... I live in Central Cali in Tulare County by the Sierra's and drive the 4 hours to SD every year and it's not that bad of a drive really.

Why would you drive if can fly there and have fun?:dunno:

I flew to VNY from the Bay area and got rental car from Maguire Aviation. They waived overnight fee with purchase of fuel. If you go there you need Maguire South - they have 2 Maguire FBOs. South works with pistons and North is biz jets. I stayed in Airtel Plaza Hotel. Very nice hotel.

Back