unintended consequences of automation

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
While practicing slow flight in the wind today, I got down to about 19kts groundspeed. I looked down and saw that the transponder had turned itself to standby mode.

I've had this happen. I make sure I'm well away from controlled airspace now when practicing slow flight.

I know that it does this automatically in the G1000 when below 30kias. (or 35?)

I never thought about that. Never became an issue, though.

Re the g1000

Ground mode is automatically selected when the aircraft is on the ground. A green GND indication appears in the mode field of the Transponder Status bar. In Ground mode, the transponder does not allow Mode A and Mode C replies, but it does permit acquisition
squitter and replies to interrogations.
discretely
addressed
Mode S
Figure 5.2.1 Ground Mode
NOTE: Ground mode can be overridden by pressing any one of the Mode Selection softkeys.

The pilot's guide seems to indicate that it uses altitude too but it really isn't that clear...

That may be true as well. I'd check my reference, but I don't care enough to.

My time with the G1000 is over, for now.

While practicing slow flight in the wind today, I got down to about 19kts groundspeed. I looked down and saw that the transponder had turned itself to standby mode.
That could lead to a suspension if you happened to be in the SFAR. I used to have my transponder set up to switch in and out of standby automatically but I've disabled that now that the FAA wants transponders to be active on the ground.

That could lead to a suspension if you happened to be in the SFAR. I used to have my transponder set up to switch in and out of standby automatically but I've disabled that now that the FAA wants transponders to be active on the ground.

This! There are a LOT of GTX 327's and 330's that should be reconfigured to always be operational, even on the ground. It was a great feature to have when we weren't supposed to have transponders operating while on the ground, but the FAA wants transponders on all the time now.

Time for a visit to your favorite avionics shop!

......but the FAA wants transponders on all the time now.......

Can you cite the regulation/advisory/source information for this? I have "heard" this as well, but have never seen or read the actual source info from the FAA which states this.

Can you cite the regulation/advisory/source information for this? I have "heard" this as well, but have never seen or read the actual source info from the FAA which states this.

They changed the AIM a couple of years ago. The section on transponder operation now reads:

AIM 4-1-20(a)(3) said:
Civil and military transponders should be turned to the “on" or normal altitude reporting position prior to moving on the airport surface to ensure the aircraft is visible to ATC surveillance systems.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back