Unicom Null

Pinstriper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pinstriper
Today I flew to KVCB http://www.airnav.com/airport/KVCB and when I departed I used the Unicom 122.7 until I got up to about 2k and out of the pattern heading 359 north back to OVE. I heard no one on the Unicom but when I flipped over to Travis 128.4 I heard a guy mentioning he was departing on rnwy 2 behind me..
My question, should I have announced on the ground that I was departing on 128.4? Also on my AirNavigation pro app it lists the ctaf 122.7 as (Null)
Thanks in advance.

Today I flew to KVCB http://www.airnav.com/airport/KVCB and when I departed I used the Unicom 122.7 until I got up to about 2k and out of the pattern heading 359 north back to OVE. I heard no one on the Unicom but when I flipped over to Travis 128.4 I heard a guy mentioning he was departing on rnwy 2 behind me..
My question, should I have announced on the ground that I was departing on 128.4? Also on my AirNavigation pro app it lists the ctaf 122.7 as (Null)
Thanks in advance.

Nope, make your position reports on the CTAF frequency. Tracon frequency is for ATC services.

Pilot behind ya should have been on CTAF until he was in the air and out of the pattern, then switched to Travis if he was IFR or wanted FF. You were correct.

I fly outta an uncontrolled airport, but we have a ton of IFR traffic inbound and outbound. The VFR guys are really good about making position reports within 10 mile of the field, but often times the IFR traffic will switch to approach as soon as they are wheels up....that is why I will have CTAF on com 1 and monitor our approach frequency on com 2 when approaching the field VFR just to keep tabs if there is any outbound IFR traffic no longer on CTAF.

I did once accidentally switch to Nor Cal Approach while presetting the radios on the ground and started making ground calls on Approach frequency. They were quick to let me know I was on Nor Cal Approach frequency and not CTAF!

Last edited:
Thanks guys.. I figured I was right and he was.... doing sumthin' out of the ordinary.. :rolleyes2:

All that is gone now :( But they have a real nice shopping center (my wife loved it ) and it has a "train" but not the really cool one us old folks remember :(

Back