Unhappy discoveries in medical past

U

unhappyteen

Long story short: had diagnosed depression, single episode. Was on prozac for ~18 months, recovered, now waiting out my 60 days to apply for issuance, get deferred, jump the requisite hoops, and get my 1st Class by going down SSRI Path 1. I am working with a wonderful HIMS AME who has been very helpful. Also, if it's not clear, I have never held or applied for a medical, never submitted anything to FAA.

He suggested I request my medical history from my provider in case it is needed. On reviewing it, I found that I was officially diagnosed with "Depression, unspecified" and "Anxiety d/o [disorder])" as a teenager. I, like many others, had a really hard time as a teen, and my parents had me go to see a LCSW to help. I went to one on one therapy with her, group therapy, and my symptoms improved. Eventually the depression dx was dropped from notes(?) and only anxiety was mentioned.

Obviously this is not good news, but do you think that this will inhibit my ability to go down Path 1? I wasn't on meds at the time. I'm not sure how to interpret this from an FAA perspective as I am clearly not a medical professional However, I really hope that what seems to just be a case of a pubescent male having a hard time in life does not lock me out of my lifelong dream of flying the line.

I appreciate your responses in advance.

you have a HIMS AME - ask him/her these questions. You should be successful in this pursuit of your faa medical.

Long story short: had diagnosed depression, single episode. Was on prozac for ~18 months, recovered, now waiting out my 60 days to apply for issuance, get deferred, jump the requisite hoops, and get my 1st Class by going down SSRI Path 1. I am working with a wonderful HIMS AME who has been very helpful. Also, if it's not clear, I have never held or applied for a medical, never submitted anything to FAA.

He suggested I request my medical history from my provider in case it is needed. On reviewing it, I found that I was officially diagnosed with "Depression, unspecified" and "Anxiety d/o [disorder])" as a teenager. I, like many others, had a really hard time as a teen, and my parents had me go to see a LCSW to help. I went to one on one therapy with her, group therapy, and my symptoms improved. Eventually the depression dx was dropped from notes(?) and only anxiety was mentioned.

Obviously this is not good news, but do you think that this will inhibit my ability to go down Path 1? I wasn't on meds at the time. I'm not sure how to interpret this from an FAA perspective as I am clearly not a medical professional However, I really hope that what seems to just be a case of a pubescent male having a hard time in life does not lock me out of my lifelong dream of flying the line.

I appreciate your responses in advance.

My first suggestion is to change your moniker from "unhappyteen" to "hopefulteen". Stay positive, I'm not an expert in this stuff, but lbfjrmd is, follow his advice.

My only advice is persevere, don't get discouraged if you have to jump through some hoops.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back