Uneventful flight...

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
at least until the very end... things were going along so nicely on my return to 48V from KCUT this afternoon that I just had to do more than one landing on my arrival. The first touch and go was so smooth, so right on, so (dare I say it) perfect? that I just had to get another one in. Hah! Another nice pattern, smooth approach, everything so on the numbers that I thought "go for 3" and at exactly that time, a few seconds after touch down... yikes !!!! Severe swerve to the right! Kept her on the runway and limped over to the second turnoff ... and looked out the window to the starboard main mount flat, with the tube sticking out of the side like a tired dog's tongue.

Guess what the last words at the FBO were when I departed on Saturday?
"We just put on new tires on her all the way around." and I said "I"ll make sure I let somebody else put some new flat spots on them then, ok?"

Crap!

Crap! Well...could've been worse...

glad you're OK.

terry

Oh geez. We had a flt like that one time. I was in a ground school, getting ready to go home bc I had lots to do, and my instr was like..."hey were flying to ISO you wanna go...sure."

We had gone on a night x/c to ISO. While there we did our 10 landings, full stop taxi backs. Our take offs were so much fun. We would get it to where it would stall, push it over, float for a few seconds, and level off, go around the pattern and land again.

It was getting late so we flew back to LHZ, and landed. Luckly we were turning on to the ramp area, and "POP...BUZZZZZZ" There was a huge hole in the tire. We were still on the turn off, and it had to stay there because we couldn't move it. Too bad so sad, the airport was snowed in for a while, so that is where she stayed.

Glad you were ok Greg. Kinda puts a damper on the flight eh?

Greg, sounds like you handled it well.

I'd be interested in learning the cause.

It does happen, I've had two similar things happen on my plane....

Only a few smooth LDGs & subsiquent flat on a new tire sounds like some defect or installation problem maybe.

Back