Underwing/Fly-in Camping in TX

TexasAdam

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
TexasAdam
Hey party people -

One of the things the wife and I are most excited about once I finish the PPL is being able to go camping places that are little far for driving. I've yet to find a good online resource on places to fly-in and camp in and around Texas. We're open to parks that have landing strips, airports that have close to proximity to nice campgrounds (esp. if they'll give you a ride there), and even airfields that don't mind if you just pull off the ramp and set up camp right there. We're partial to water but we also just love wide open spaces, so anything and everything is fair game.

As always, all tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
adam

I have heard a few folks on DFWPilots.com say some good things about Lake Whitney (F50, http://www.airnav.com/airport/F50)

Cedar Mills at Lake Texhoma (3T0, http://www.airnav.com/airport/3T0) is also nice. Great restaurant, marina, cabins for rent, very nice grass strip.

You sound like a good candidate for a sea plane rating. There would be your perfect fit to land on the lake, find a good spot on the shore, and pitch your tent.

Last edited:
You sound like a good candidate for a sea plane rating. There would be your perfect fit to land on the lake, find a good spot on the shore, and pitch your tent.

is there any navigable water left in texas?

Good thing we Texans have a dry sense of humor.
heh..."All Hot and Bothered" was (thankfully) a few months ago... at least we're starting to see the return of rain.

heh..."All Hot and Bothered" was (thankfully) a few months ago... at least we're starting to see the return of rain.

Yeah, enough to rain delay Saturday night's Rangers game TWICE and postpone yesterday's game to today!

You guys are awesome, thanks for the tips.

I'm pretty curious about the seaplane concept. I know there's a company that teaches out of Lake Travis (I'm in Austin) and I may make an inquiry when I'm done with the PPL. I'd always thought I'd get the Instrument ticket next but there's so little weather here that it seems pretty unnecessary.

You guys are awesome, thanks for the tips.

I'm pretty curious about the seaplane concept. I know there's a company that teaches out of Lake Travis (I'm in Austin) and I may make an inquiry when I'm done with the PPL. I'd always thought I'd get the Instrument ticket next but there's so little weather here that it seems pretty unnecessary.

if you're looking for some post PP-ASEL skill increasing ratings, join the Fault Line Flyers up in Briggs and learn how to soar. Excellent soaring conditions in your neck of the woods.

http://www.flfsoaring.org/

I'm pretty curious about the seaplane concept. I know there's a company that teaches out of Lake Travis (I'm in Austin)
Going with Tony's teasing about lack of water, if you do the training out at Lake Travis, how far from shore will you need to walk to reach the aircraft? :D :D

I used to do some scuba diving in Lake Travis out near the dam. I've seen it when the water is at the stairs and when it was 10-15' below that. Now I hear it's waaaaay down and the training platforms (usually at 18-23' deep) were just barely awash.

It's almost depressing how low the lake is. Flying in from Phoenix a few weeks ago and it looks like exposed bone.

I've never really explored gliding but they seem to have a pretty good operation. Thanks for the tip!

Another, more general, question. If I fly into a smallish airport (say Marfa or Rockport) that may or may not have an FBO, it is difficult to get rides from the airport into town? Do people usually call cabs or have rental cars arranged or is it pretty easy to hitch a ride with the airport manager or someone else on the field?

Thanks guys!
a

Another, more general, question. If I fly into a smallish airport (say Marfa or Rockport) that may or may not have an FBO, it is difficult to get rides from the airport into town? Do people usually call cabs or have rental cars arranged or is it pretty easy to hitch a ride with the airport manager or someone else on the field?

Thanks guys!
a
Some small airports have a courtesy vehicle available. Often a retired Crown Vic from the police or sherrif's department. David J. Perry (1K4) up near Norman, OK had a newer and very nice Dodge Caravan available. In these situations, there are often remarks in the A/FD (Airport and Facilities Directory) or the online info like what's found in FF and AirNav.com that tell you about the vehicle.

Other airports might have an arrangment with some other local entity. Just call the primary contact listed on AirNav and ask.

Being in Austin, you're at a good base for exploring. Frederiksburg (Hangar Hotel), Llano (Cooper's BBQ), Dublin (Dr. Pepper Museum & Granny Clark's Cafe) and many others are all within an easy XC flight.

Last edited:
Back