Unable to stay VFR, ATC refuse pop up IFR clearance.

I personally don't put much stock in the area forecast within a few hours of flying. My process of checking weather is meters, taf, then area forecast.

Why not? That's how I go to the beach, and my destination there [like my home field] has no approaches. The only problem I've ever had was getting vectored around an MOA south of Raleigh, because the F-15's were out when I got there. No thanks, I'd rather not fly through . . .

If it's clear the whole way, barring airspace issues, why would I want to take on a jacked up IFR routing when I can just fly direct?

If I fly to San Diego, I just go direct and fly above LA Bravo, and pick up a clearance if I need it. If I fly to LA, I prefile and fly the whole route including approach IFR regardless of conditions just to avoid having to sort through all the VFR corridor issues.

I said "if you put yourself in that situation." If all available information concerning the flight was wrong, then you didn't put yourself in that situation, someone else put you there.

That said, I can't remember a single time in 10,000 hours of flying over more than 40 years when all available information concerning the flight was so wrong that despite my best judgment and prudent decisions, I found myself trapped by weather and unable to get a clearance, but perhaps I'm just luckier than you.

^^^^ :yes:

I've given ATC the option: "Either give me (what I need), or I can use the E word." Amazing how quick I accommodated after that.

I've worked the radar, got a request through FSS for an IFR departure off airport A. Unable at this time, aircraft on approach to airport B, call back in 20 minutes.

Yes the required protected airspace blocks both airports, aircraft on approach to airport B has already dropped below radar coverage.

10 minutes later the aircraft from airport A is on frequency asking for IFR, he is below radar coverage and can't climb higher without entering clouds. Unable IFR clearance without a radar ID on both aircraft that seperation exists, or report from aircraft B that he has canceled.

Declare the Big E if you want and enter clouds to climb, hope you miss the other guy. You'll get a clearance when you are in radar coverage and above the altitude last reported by the aircraft on approach or above the missed approach altitude which ever is higher.

Also expect a report to be filed and expect a call / visit from the local FSDO.

I've worked the radar, got a request through FSS for an IFR departure off airport A. Unable at this time, aircraft on approach to airport B, call back in 20 minutes.

Yes the required protected airspace blocks both airports, aircraft on approach to airport B has already dropped below radar coverage.

10 minutes later the aircraft from airport A is on frequency asking for IFR, he is below radar coverage and can't climb higher without entering clouds. Unable IFR clearance without a radar ID on both aircraft that seperation exists, or report from aircraft B that he has canceled.

Declare the Big E if you want and enter clouds to climb, hope you miss the other guy. You'll get a clearance when you are in radar coverage and above the altitude last reported by the aircraft on approach or above the missed approach altitude which ever is higher.

BillTIZ's scenario is nearly identical to this one -- which ended rather badly when the pilot tried to stay VFR underneath. As I said, better to be judged by twelve than carried by six, but better yet to have neither occur, i.e., stay on the ground until you get your clearance even if that costs you 20 minutes of your life (20 minutes being a good trade, I think, for like 20 years more continued existence).

In my situation it was ice, and a lazy controller.

Back