Ultra light headsets (in ear)

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Does anyone have any experience with those ultra lightweight headsets like the lightspeed Mach 1? I think some other brands are panther and auricom. They are essentially a boom and some wires. The go in the ear rather than around and over the ear like standard headsets They tout 38-40 db of noise reduction without ANR. I guess they use the ear plug to block the sound. They sure look comfortable and light. The Lightspeeds are only 1 oz. I'm interested in your comments.

I'm interested too, Adam. My wife has been making noises about wanting a Bose (she tried mine -- big mistake on my part!), and then she saw the Lightspeed ad.

I have a set of auricomms. Other folks have had more success than I have. They stay in well for me (one I realized I should size *down* on the earpiece rather than up) but I just don't seem to get the noise abatement that others have gotten. They are comfortable, to be sure, and don't mess your hair up like a standard headset.

AdamZ said:
Does anyone have any experience with those ultra lightweight headsets like the lightspeed Mach 1? I think some other brands are panther and auricom. They are essentially a boom and some wires. The go in the ear rather than around and over the ear like standard headsets They tout 38-40 db of noise reduction without ANR. I guess they use the ear plug to block the sound. They sure look comfortable and light. The Lightspeeds are only 1 oz. I'm interested in your comments.

I bought one of these from Aloft Technologies (Clarity Aloft) at OSH a year ago. The one I have has a wire spring that goes over both ears and behind your head/neck. As far a.s comfort goes it's pretty good, definitely better than any "normal" over the ear headset especially on a hot day. It makes popping glasses, sunglasses, foggles etc on and off a lot easier too. The one thing I don't like is that the band gets hung up in my shoulder belts (dual overhead type) and on some seats it hits the headrest. The Mach-1 from Lightspe'd ed attaches like most cellphone headsets, it just sits on your ear. That should eliminate most of the physical issues I've had with the Aloft. It also includes a cellphone interface, which is something I have with my other Lightspeeds and would hate to give up. Oh, one other minor nit for the in-ear type: they take longer to put on and you probably don't want to share ear wax with pax.

Acoustically, the Clarity Aloft is definitely not as good at blocking low frequencies like propeller noise as a high quality ANR (Lightspeed Thirty 3G, Bose etc), but it's way better than any passive headset I've used. At higher frequencies it works as well or better than ANR. That means things like the hiss of air passing over the cockpit or leaking in through the door seal are quieter with the in ear type. I talked to the founder of Lightspeed about the Mach 1 and he pretty much said the same thing about low frequencies vs high frequencies.

I mostly use mine in the taildragger where the exhaust noise (large high frequency content) and wind noise are handled pretty well. In fact the noise is high enough at takeoff in that plane that it often overloaded my LightSpeeds, something that obviously can't happen with a passive design like the Mach 1 or Clarity Aloft. I also occasionally use it in the Baron when I need a 5th headset and while it's more comfortable, it is noticeably louder as well despite claims by Aloft to the contrary.

Last edited:
AdamZ said:
Does anyone have any experience with those ultra lightweight headsets like the lightspeed Mach 1?

Adam,

I got to try the Lightspeed Mach 1's at Oshkosh. Here's how they had it set up: Sales lady behind desk with a Thirty 3G, both headsets plugged into a portable intercom, and an iPod playing music into the music input of the Mach 1.

I was amazed - The halls were full of people and noise, but I had a nice quiet conversation with the lady. Our conversation sounded like normal volume to me, but when I got done, my dad (who was standing right next to me) said he couldn't hear a word I said. Excellent noise reduction.

I only had them on for about 4-5 minutes, but they seemed quite comfortable. The microphone side has a hinged piece that you fold back down over your ear very much like a cell phone headset, only since it's adjustable it's a lot easier to put on and more comfortable to keep on.

I already have one Lightspeed headset (Twenty 3G) and the music/cell phone interface has spoiled me. If my club gets a Diamond Star (which doesn't have a whole lot of headroom for someone as tall as me) I'm going to use the 3G for (shorter) pax due to its thick headband and get myself a Mach 1.

I have no experience with the other in-ear headsets.

flyingcheesehead said:
Adam,

I got to try the Lightspeed Mach 1's at Oshkosh. Here's how they had it set up: Sales lady behind desk with a Thirty 3G, both headsets plugged into a portable intercom, and an iPod playing music into the music input of the Mach 1.

I was amazed - The halls were full of people and noise, but I had a nice quiet conversation with the lady. Our conversation sounded like normal volume to me, but when I got done, my dad (who was standing right next to me) said he couldn't hear a word I said. Excellent noise reduction.

I only had them on for about 4-5 minutes, but they seemed quite comfortable. The microphone side has a hinged piece that you fold back down over your ear very much like a cell phone headset, only since it's adjustable it's a lot easier to put on and more comfortable to keep on.

I already have one Lightspeed headset (Twenty 3G) and the music/cell phone interface has spoiled me. If my club gets a Diamond Star (which doesn't have a whole lot of headroom for someone as tall as me) I'm going to use the 3G for (shorter) pax due to its thick headband and get myself a Mach 1.

I have no experience with the other in-ear headsets.

Kent, a noisy display hall is an ideal environment to make in-ear headsets shine. Most of the noise is in the 500-2000 Hz range where they really perform. In the cockpit of the typical GA airplane the dominant frequency is around 100-120 Hz where the in-ear is much less effective. I think you'll find a noticeable loss of attenuation in the planes you fly, compared to the ANR headset you have. Fortunately LightSpeed allows you to return their headsets if you are disappointed.

Keep in mind that the perceived noise reduction is more in the mid/high range frequencies, not the low range freqs that do all the damage. Even with an effective plug type ear piece, you still need ANR to protect your hearing most effectively.

I've never tried them..

My current headset I am pretty sure is older then I am. I found it in some boxes, Made by David Clark.. still works. Though I was almost ready to replace them due to a strange noise I would hear... Which I always thought was the headset.. Then all of the sudden it hit me.. It's my cell phone interferring with the intercom. Infact it appears to interfere with every intercom in every plane I've ever been in. If I receive a text message, It will set my alarm off. Explain that.

I do plan on getting an ANR headset eventually though.

Back