UK PPL Visiting Salt Lake City for two months

cassicha

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
cassicha
Hi!

I will be visiting Salt Lake City for two months starting in August as a result of a work project. I've had a UK PPL for about 5 years now and would love to do some flying in Utah.

I actually had a FAA license as well between 2010 and 2011. Are there any flying clubs (I can only find professional flight schools on google), where I could fly with an instructor two or three time?

Thanks!

If you had an FAA PPL certificate, you probably still have it. Just make sure your medical is current and go get checked out. Most flight schools also do general rentals and that is probably your best bet. You might find a club with a low enough cost of entry, but if your plan is only to fly a few times, just check out the nearest flight school. Most airports have them, though I admit I am not that familiar with GA in the Salt Lake area.

If you have an old FAA standalone license you just need to do a BFR and perhaps a medical (if it's run out).

If you had a 61.75 "piggyback" FAA license issued based on your UK one, you still need to do a BFR, but no medical. It is based entirely on your UK one and carries the same restrictions as that. Meaning, if you don't have a Night Rating in the UK, you can not fly nights in the US as it's not part of the PPL syllabus there.

If you have neither, now is the time to order the piggyback one. You need to have CAA send the info over to the FAA and then you pick it up at the local FSDO. But it takes some time, so get on it quickly.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I live in the SLC area. If you wanna hook up for some brewskies, let me know. Regarding flying with local clubs, I believe that most of them require a buy-in just to fly, or you can get stuck with local FBO flight instruction schools, renting at a premium. There are three off the top of my head: Leading Edge at South Valley airport, Cornerstone Aviation (where I did my PPL training) at Salt Lake International, or Bountiful Flight School at KBTF.

I did google "independent cfi salt lake", and got the following: http://www.independentflightinstructors.com/SaltLakeCityUT.php

It might be worth seeing if any of those instructors will fly with you.

I probably won't be flying in August, but hopefully September. If so, you are welcome to come along for a mountain tour.

Gosh,

Thank you so much for the replies - very kind and very helpful!

Woodchuck - Definitely brewskies!
Mark_24 - crumbs that would marvellous!

I'll drop Cornerstone Aviation an email now and see what they can arrange - looks like they've got a beautiful Tecnam!

Best,
Charles

Charles, if you play a bit of futbol, bring your boots! :D

I play with a drop-in group on Saturdays.

ps: the front desk lady is named Donna there. Susan is the owner.

Back