ugh....whats wrong with me?

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
So recently, for like the last week or so, when I get really tired, my eyelid starts spazzing out. Its not visible to anyone else (thankfully), but I can feel a fluttering contraction and release in my right eye only.

Usually happens at work when I'm super tired and have been staring at a computer screen for a long time.

Its not painful, but it makes me want to gouge my eyes out. Ok - that's a bit dramatic, but it sure is irritating. It doesn't effect my vision at all.

Is this Blepherospasm, or am I gonna wind up being one of those freaks that starts twitching when I get stressed or tired?

Get more sleep. As I understand it, being over tired for extended periods can do very bad things to the body.

and drink more water. you'd be amazed at how much better you will feel if you get 8 glasses of water a day.

woodstock said:
and drink more water. you'd be amazed at how much better you will feel if you get 8 glasses of water a day.

And think of the additional exercise you'll be getting :)

NickDBrennan said:
So recently, for like the last week or so, when I get really tired, my eyelid starts spazzing out. Its not visible to anyone else (thankfully), but I can feel a fluttering contraction and release in my right eye only.

Usually happens at work when I'm super tired and have been staring at a computer screen for a long time.

Its not painful, but it makes me want to gouge my eyes out. Ok - that's a bit dramatic, but it sure is irritating. It doesn't effect my vision at all.

Is this Blepherospasm, or am I gonna wind up being one of those freaks that starts twitching when I get stressed or tired?

Try lots of pure water, a little sugarless electrolytes and get some rest...

Well, I'm no doctor, and I don't play one on TV either, but I've had the same problem.

About a year ago I was in retail sales and the same problem happened to me. I think stress and lack of sleep caused it. When I went online I found out that the way the body metabolozes calcium can also be a cause of this. Whenever I drink lots of milk, or eat pizza or ice cream, I try to have a magnesium tablet that night. My thinking was that the water table hit a high or a low and the well was picking up a ton of extra calcium at the time....

The simplified version of this is that the Magnesium helps the body process the excess calcium. If the calcium is not processed correctly, you get twitching. Alot of water will probably also help, because water is GOOD for you....

I get "The Twitch" in my eyelids too, and just wait till you get it in weird places like your knees.....

But like I said, maybe I'm just a freak too and all this stuff is a spurious connection......

The rogue said:
Well, I'm no doctor, and I don't play one on TV either,
Me neither. I'm sure Dr. Bruce will be appalled by the time he gets here. :eek:

Anyway, I've heard muscle twitches meant low potassium. Eat a banana.

In the meantime, cover that thing up (see attached)!:rofl:

-Rich

thanks for the advice guys. Admittedly, I never drink water, and I really should, so I have started drinking a lot of water.

I'll have to try the magnesium stuff, and perhaps potassium too. I love bananas, so I might as well, you know!

Thanks all! (dangit Michael....I knew I was a freak)

Could also stay of the puter unless it is work related, and i disagree with micheal your not a Freak, Your Just Plain WEIRD. Dave

rpadula said:
In the meantime, cover that thing up (see attached)!:rofl:
-Rich

That is one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time.

"May I take your triton sir?"

BTW - what is the story with thy pancake bunny?

Actually, Nick, any of Ca++, Mg++, K+ can cause a vulnerable muscle to spasm. But so can fatigue, exhaustion, and Lou Gehrig's disease (thrown in for grautitous effect). So don't obsess about it. It's just not worth it.

Eat right and sleep occasionally. Do you ever sleep?

bbchien said:
Actually, Nick, any of Ca++, Mg++, K+ can cause a vulnerable muscle to spasm. But so can fatigue, exhaustion, and Lou Gehrig's disease (thrown in for grautitous effect). So don't obsess about it. It's just not worth it.

Eat right and sleep occasionally. Do you ever sleep?

Nick's got a dumb question: What is Ca++ Mg++ or K++. I assume it means Too Much Calcium, too much Magnesium or too much Potasium, but that's just a guess based off the periodic table....

I sleep about 3-4 hours a day, plus whatever sleep I can get at work when we slow down. On my one day off work and school - Friday - I get about 6 hours. I do need more. I know this.

Low levels of Calcium, Potassium or Magnesium. But if you eat an occasional citrus fruit this isn't it. If you eat junk food in a cubicle it could be a problem...

bbchien said:
Low levels of Calcium, Potassium or Magnesium. But if you eat an occasional citrus fruit this isn't it. If you eat junk food in a cubicle it could be a problem...

That could do it. I seem to never eat vegetables lately, or fruit. Only donuts, coffee, soft drinks, and the obligatory fast food burger from the 24 hour McDonalds. No wonder I'm so out of shape. Thanks for the advice, Doc.

Nick:

you need 8 hours a night. or at least 7 if you just can't swing 8 with your sched. but try for 8.

and as far as water, you might need to start by putting yourself on a timer - do you use outlook?

what I do is drink one cup (8 OZ) the minute I get up in the morning. gulp it down while making my tea. I also drink another cup before I leave my house (I usually have an hour and a half or even two hours between the time I get up til I actually leave).

during the day I have a 2 cup container I fill up at least twice if not three times (this is where the timer comes in). then at night another cup or two. since I also drink milk and tea, I may not actually need 8 cups of water but it won't hurt you. having one of those sippy mugs with a straw makes a difference.

all this may sound stupid but otherwise downing 8 full cups in a day is something you can easily forget about and who is going to drink that much the minute you get home? I have a high thirst tolerance so I used to be able to go all day without water, just whatever I had at lunch! this is bad. it takes discipline. you will also get to know your coworkers who sit near the door to the bathroom a lot better. at least at first.

do you ever wake up with sheet marks? you know, on your arm, or face? that is dehydration. you want to avoid that.

NickDBrennan said:
That could do it. I seem to never eat vegetables lately, or fruit. Only donuts, coffee, soft drinks, and the obligatory fast food burger from the 24 hour McDonalds. No wonder I'm so out of shape. Thanks for the advice, Doc.

Hey, BKing has a cherry cheesecake which ought to satisfy your fruit requirements!

Of course you know the old saw: "you are what you eat", which for you means eating nothing but fast/junk food means your body is turning into junk fast.

NickDBrennan said:

You are now an airplane owner, what did you expect???
Lol
Don

NickDBrennan said:

you peeple mekk mah aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahs tweetch. LOL

NickDBrennan said:

Beside your recent twitch, you may reasonably expect one of the next muscles to start spasming will be the cardiac muscle, hopefully only to a minor degree.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Beside your recent twitch, you may reasonably expect one of the next muscles to start spasming will be the cardiac muscle, hopefully only to a minor degree.

LOL - lets hope not! Today I started a pretty good regime of water and fruits. No sleep yet, but water and fruit

woodstock said:

---------------------------------------​

Are you kidding me? I'm lucky enough if I drink 8 glasses a year.. let alone 8 glasses a day. Seriously.. I don't drink water, or very little of it. I'll go for weeks at a time before I might even take a sip.. or two. For what ever reason, when I try to drink water it seems to gag me.. along with the fact it has no taste. Other than that..​

Dakota Duce

"May All Your Flights Be Of Good Weather!"

Dakota Duce said:
---------------------------------------​

Are you kidding me? I'm lucky enough if I drink 8 glasses a year.. let alone 8 glasses a day.​

Yeah, I have a difficult time drinking water as well. Soooo....I now get a couple of lemons, slice them, put 'em in a baggie and toss them in the freezer. Then when its time to do the water thing, I get my 16 oz glass, fill it up and drop a couple of frozen lemon slices into it. Chills the water, gives it a slight lemon taste and when I've emptied the glass, I eat the lemons, skin and all. I try to get through the glass in a two hour period, and so, during my eight hours at work, and a 16 oz glass every two hours, that gives me my eight glasses of water a day. It also helps keep my stomach 'full' so I don't pig out on all the goodies that are usually floating around the comm center.

Last edited:
Hey neat, this started back up again tonight. Probably lack of sleep due to being on a business trip with a bunch of strategy, planning, and training going on with long hours and not much water being consumed...

Heh.

A lot has changed since then, hasn't it, Nick? :)

I used to get this invariably at exam time in college. Nothing like a stress induced tic to induce stress.

I've heard too much caffeine or too much stress can cause this. I drink a lot of coffee, and I have the same thing happen to me periodically.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back