uAvionix announces its certified AV-30 magnetometer preorder

Got mine in the mail today. Will be about 2 months before I can install. Gotta find time to fabricate the d-sub harness to flash the update.

I'll add that the AV30C in DG mode is temperature sensitive. Mine becomes useless when outside air temperatures are below freezing, greatly accelerated drift at around 5* per minute. Even if you use cabin heat to keep the inside of the airplane comfortable.

I wonder if the external magnetometer fixes this.

Our av-mag is supposed to be installed this week sometime. I'll share thoughts in the next couple weeks after I get a chance to fly.
I've now had a chance to fly our plane with the dual AV30s and new av-mag a dozen flights. It works great and I wouldn't recommend installing AV30s without it.
That said, we are having issues with the indicated airspeed and true airspeed on the AV30 used for the attitude.

... we are having issues with the indicated airspeed and true airspeed on the AV30 used for the attitude.
The AV30C in AI mode will also display density altitude. Is that off too? If so, the culprit may be the temperature probe. The AV30C settings menu has a trim adjustment for the temperature. Mine was several degrees off and I had to adjust it there.

The AV30C in AI mode will also display density altitude. Is that off too? If so, the culprit may be the temperature probe. The AV30C settings menu has a trim adjustment for the temperature. Mine was several degrees off and I had to adjust it there.
Thanks, I will look into that.

Incidentally, having the AV30C temperature display enabled me to discover that the old temperature dial in the passenger side air vent is only accurate when the vent is open & flowing air. Rather obvious in hindsight, but good to get that confirmation.

Back