UAvionics Skybeacon

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
Has anyone here had one have a problem yet??? For instance, not being able to acquire a GPS signal when all the other devices on the plane do?

Has anyone here had one have a problem yet??? For instance, not being able to acquire a GPS signal when all the other devices on the plane do?
Yes. Or take a long time to acquire a fix. I know someone who's installed a bunch and had to send a couple back.

Flew with one for 2 years. Never a single glitch.

8f8368005fc695f0cceb14fe1d0dbc9d.jpg

there is another thread or two on this forum about beacons.
I had fits with mine, finally got it replaced. I have heard about many others having to get them replaced too.

In the beginning I thought they were a pretty good way to go, but now I would not install one. Mine worked fine in the beginning, probably about a year and a half, but I'm not sure when it all crapped out exactly as I do not regularly pull PAPR reports. But somewhere around the same time the beacon quit, so did the transponder, and then another transponder.

I have heard a theory that the beacons are interrogating the transponder so frequently that the old vacuum tube transponders can't handle it and they die. IF that is true, it takes away one of the biggest selling points for the beacons, cost. But, after I replaced my tail beacon, AND the transponder, I could have gone another route for less money, and a LOT less hassle.

Installed one 6 months before the deadline. Worked great. I performed the required SW upgrade just before Jan 1 2020 deadline and it bricked the unit. Was sent a replacement with no issues. No problems since. I regularly fly in an area requiring ADS-B and have never got a 'naughty letter' telling me something is wrong with the reporting.

If the ADS-B ever fails and I need another solution, I'll keep it installed as I like the LED light/strobe.

Back