UAV--Commercial use

i think, if they are to be flying in our airspace, the pilot, errr controller, err user should be required to hold a PPL and talk with ATC..

Richard said:
Do you think this will catch on for commercial users in domestic US? How would they be affected by stadium TFRs and such?

http://autopilot.sourceforge.net/users.html

Hell yes they're catching on and give lots of real, working pilots both the willies and the heebee geebees because they will do the same flying services for so much less cost. Further laws and FARs will be increasingly enacted regarding TFRs, operations safety, 'pilot' training, etc. to provide the public with some semblance of the protection they crave.

A bunch of people will buy them.

A couple of them will run into vehicles / houses / people.

We'll never hear about it again. ;)

They're being marketed as a low cost option for everything from covering sporting events to surveilance to survey to wildlife mgmt. There is a citizen group (founded by ex-silicon valley types) down along the Mexican border using them for observation.

In the case of survey, they talk about how easy it is to program a route and fly it (like they do with cruise missles) but nothing said about how to avoid other airborne traffic. But my biggest concern is how it will negatively impact GA.

Richard said:
In the case of survey, they talk about how easy it is to program a route and fly it (like they do with cruise missles) but nothing said about how to avoid other airborne traffic. But my biggest concern is how it will negatively impact GA.

They start off being small, and inexpensive...but where do they stop? why not build on as big as a lear. you think then it will get other pilots attention? The fAA will have to put limits on size, maybe the size and weight of a sparrow, would be unlicensed, however, a larger vehicle the size of a eagle, would need an appropriate rating, and possibly a transponder. as you get bigger, you would need additional ratings, certifications?

Hmm..I dont know where i stand on this yet...but i dont like the thought of it.

NASCAR and other events are already using remote controlled helicopters, they will surly take over for the jetrangers in due time.

Back