Two Throttles, One Engine?

janikpilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
janikpilot
I was checking out Airliners.net the other day, and I stumbled across this picture.

1916176.jpg

Despite the impressive angle, notice the two throttle-like push-pull levers on the panel. What are they? I know the aircraft is a Robin DR-400-180R, and it is commonly used for glider towing. Looking at other pictures, I noticed the mixture control is below the pilot's right knee, but I didn't see a throttle control next to it.

The two-throttle config allows either pilot to control stick with right hand and power with left. Either pilot can reach the mixture in the middle.

I was checking out Airliners.net the other day, and I stumbled across this picture.

1916176.jpg

Despite the impressive angle, notice the two throttle-like push-pull levers on the panel. What are they? I know the aircraft is a Robin DR-400-180R, and it is commonly used for glider towing. Looking at other pictures, I noticed the mixture control is below the pilot's right knee, but I didn't see a throttle control next to it.

Because flying aerobatics is typically flown left hand on throttle, right on stick, and the Robin is an Aerobatic trainer. I used to fly the 2160 which was a fun well mannered aerobatic trainer.

The Remos LSA is the same way. I can't remember which one I used when I flew the Remos.

remos_696.jpg

1916176.jpg

Throttle.... So you can fly it from the left seat or right seat..

Steve's IAR has a similar setup. He even has two landing gear switches.

Back